eating disorder

I'm a 25 year old female, competitive, runner with an eating disorder. I realize that I need to ingest a certain amount of calories as a runner but with an eating disorder this is rather difficult. I would appreciate any information on literature on the subject. Cheers.

Comments

• oh my god
    thats a hard one, and im no expert
    but
    be careful you dont translate you eating disorder into the exercise
    are you multi impulsive?

good luck
  • Eating Disorder Association

Something fishy

It's a big topic, I'd try to get some help aside from websites. The exercising and eating disorder may all be part of the same thing.
  • A big topic indeed.

I have a phone number as well somewhere but can't find it at the moment, but I think it's probably the one on the first website.

I'm no expert either, but I've known/taught several people with ED's so I do have some experience of it. Enough to say take it seriously and get proper advice.
  • what came first the running or the eating disorder ?

i think eating disorders can be quite common amongst female competitive runners - maybe because of the 'need' to be a certain weight (and british athletics used to be notorious for encouraging women athletes to be thinner)

can you work out what is important for you - improved performance or being in control of your eating as i guess that your performance can be hampered by the eating disorder

what about some weight training to gain some muscle - not fat - which will improve your running and also help up your metabolism so you will keep your body fat low whilst being able to eat a little more
  • Hi Eilis,

I had an eating disorder and it got out of hand. Please see your doctor. I thought that mine would be angery for some reason but he wasn't. My disorder came about for a number of reasons. First it was a car accident and then I was told to loose weight.

My running went right down hill because I felt out of energy all the time. I eventually became anaemic, underweight and depressed. I also had an under-active thyroid (which we've only just recently discovered). I became absolutely obsessed about my weight and despite feeling dizzy, out of energy and knackered wouldn't leave the gym until I was ringing wet.

The anaemia, weight-loss and depression could have all been avoided if I'd seen my GP sooner (thyroid couldn't help as I inherited it). It eventually came to its worst when I had a 'Total Burn-out' which unless you've had it you have know idea what total hell it is. I thought I was going to really die. I was seriuosly ill for 1-month and then it took about 3-months for me to get any energy back to do the smallest tasks.

You've taken a step already by making this post; be brave make the next and see your GP and speak to a close friend for support.

I have always participated in sport and absolutely love it. I now regret those days when I didn't eat properly but out of every bad thing comes good. I hated what I went through but if I hadn't experienced it I wouldn't be able to totally understand other people who suffer from this. You will come out stronger and wiser from all this.
    Just take the next step.

You may only have a mild version of it I don't know but either way, servere or not do your body a favour.
  • effie, thats a great post, and very brave
    thanks
  • hi eilis,

i am recovering from anorexia and even though i dont class myself as an anorexic anymore i do still have disordered eating. however, my addiction of food control has progressed to an addiction to exercise. so not only to i have disordered eating i also have an addiction to exercise.

i few months ago i became ill form nervous exhaustion and had some time off work - embaraasing as i work at a gym and should be aware of all the health concerns surrounding health and fitness!

anyway it gets worse as i am 21 with osteoporosis, and shrivelled ovaries from not menstruating for 2 years (and still not). im not even underweight and havent been for a while.

i urge you to seek medical help from your gp who may eb able to refer you to a nutritionist (although this may not help as you can be full aware of what to eat but not able to do it), and a eating disorder counsellor. if you can afford it however, i would suggest seeing someone privately as the waiting lists are so long!

eating disorders are suffocating and so difficult to overcome, i wish you much luck and support

good luck
    sam
  • Hi Ellis,

I also had anorexia but over 15 years ago now. The cause was from my parents splitting up and my not being able to see my father for two years, not eating was something I could control. It takes over your life. Before then I had been a promising young athlete and swimmer competing for my school and county. It took me four years to get over it fully and 3 separate bouts in hospital. Like Sam I was too weak to do anything, and eventually decided one day on my own I had to conquer the thing if I wanted to run. I eventually started my periods when I was 20 but had to be put on the pill to help. I do now though still suffer from anaemia and have to take iron tablets. The plus sides are if you can get through it you will really appreciate eating, I now eat to fuel my running, and feel I eat a very well balanced diet, but still am slightly underweight for my height. I now love having dinner parties, going out to eat, and cooking exciting foods at home with triathlete husband. I wish you all the best luck but suggest you get on top of it, else it will get on top of you, and you will lose the energy to do the most important thing in your life.
    Michelle