40 min 10k

yesterday i did a 39:20 .10k an was well chuffed. has anyone else had any good results recently

Comments

• Great time, what is your background in running like?
  • I could do that time on my bike image
  • Dammit.. i'm gagging for a 40 min 10k personally.
  • seven months in total am 17years of age. in that seven months i`ve done 19:07 min 5k, 39:20mins 10k and 1hr 34min half m. i did some fell running aswell as prep for ben nevis 10miles which took 2hr 47mins. but to be fair i was allready fit from cycling
  • by the way to do a sub 40 min 10k find an out and back trainning route or race and have a warm up jog for about five to ten mins then just run like hell 3.1 miles out, at the turn point tell yourself its easy or youre half way through allready. i found that the knowing that a sub 40 was possible kept me going. it definetly worth a try. but basically go for it. and pick a fairly cold day. and most importantly good luck
  • Andy

Yes, had the same result this year as well and was double chuffed!

Paul

I was the same last year - was desperate to go under 40 mins for 10k.
    Then I discovered this “magic” session that has worked.

First find a 2k loop - google maps / mapmyfitness.com / walkjogrun.net
    (I found 2 in fact within 200 metres of each other, which I ran in different directions to make more interesting and then repeated my slowest loop again to make 5)
    Then I ran the 2k loop with a target pace of 7.55 mins, had a 4 / 5 minute recovery then did another loop. In total you should do 5 x 2k loops (10k split into 5 obviously).
    At first I could only do 4 x 2k loops and not even getting under 8 minutes.
    Then I managed 4 x 2k + 1 x 1k - still not managing to get under 8 minutes (8.05, 8.10 etc). I eventually manged to do all 5 in one session. Over the following weeks I managed to break the 8 minute barrier and now I regularly range between 7.20 - 740. The key is to be able to complete all 5 loops, even if not at sub 8 minute pace - bettering your loop times will come progressively.
    There is a great pysological boost knowing that you run a sub 40 10k albeit in 5 parts. What this session does is to teach you how the sub 40 min pace feels and makes your running more economical & consistant.

After about 8 - 10 weeks building up this session I got a new PB of 39.34 (my previous PB was 42.54!).

Make sure you wam up & cool down properly as you will be nearly replicating race pace conditions.

I initailly started this session to improve my 10k time to under 40 minutes but now use it as part of my half marathon training. It has helped me get under the magic 1.30hr mark - something that has eluded me for some time and which I thought I couldn't achieve.

Good luck - and hope this works for you too.
  • ye its definetly worth a try. if it works then great.