Calling all Flora London Marathon 2009 hopefuls...

Comments

• NAME  KEVIN POTTTER

RUNNING HISTORY:  I GUESS IVE BEEN RUNNING  ABOUT 4YRS PRETTY REGULAR, AS I HAVE JUST TURNED 50 I GUESS I STARTED LATE. I STARTED RUNNING TO HELP WITH STRESS PROBLEMS AND IT WORKED SO I KEPT GOING. NEVER THOUGHT I'D DO MORE THAN A COUPLE OF MILES BUT  SOMETHING TOOK OVER AND I JUST WANTED TO DO MORE AND MORE. I HAD A ACL REPLACEMENT SOME YEARS A GO SO FOOTBALL TOOK A BACK SEAT  AS IT WAS TO PAINFULL BUT RUNNING DIDNT SEEM TO CAUSE A PROBLEM. I DID MY FIRST HALF MARATHON 3 YEARS AGO AT ROBIN HOOD 1hr 55  OVER THE LAST 4 MONTHS IVE TRIED TO DO ONE EVERY MONTH JUST DONE THE WORKSOP HALF IN 1hr 36 SO WAS VERY PLEASED. DID THE LONDON THIS YEAR WITH  A TIME OF 3hr 54 BUT WANT TO DO BETTER

WHY ME.  I DO ALL MY RUNS/TRAINING  ALONE ALL THE TIME AND SOMETIMES FIND IT HARD TO FIND THE MOTIVATION.  I NEED SOMEONE OR SOMETHING TO PUSH ME TO MY LIMITS GIVE ME A GOAL TO REACH  AND IMPROVE MY RUNNING THERE MUST BE LOTS OF THINGS A PROFESSIONAL CAN DO TO HELP. I KNOW I'LL NEVER BE AT THE FRONT OF THE PACK BUT TO KNOW YOU'VE IMPROVED WITH WORKING HARD EVEN IF ITS ONLY BY A MINUTE IS A GREAT FEELING AND YOU JUST WANT TO DO BETTER EACH TIME

PREDICTED TIME  UNDER 3hrs 45 WOULD BE GOOD  WITH THE RIGHT TRAINING I WOULD LIKE TO THINK IT COULD BE  WELL UNDER

THANKS

• Hi Catherine

just recieved the

e-mail about the London Marathon sounds like a great oppurtunity and honour to compete in this great race.I have never done a Marathon before just a lot of 10km my pb is 45 mins,i did do a half marathon when i was 17, but cant remember my time.

I started running just before i joined the Army in 1985 and havent stopped running since,just for fun now though and keeping myself fit.I have ran for charity in the past.

I am 43 now but will be 44 in April,i would love the help and support of proffesional people such as Liz Yelling that would be a truly great honour learning from the people that have been there and done that and got the medals.

WHY YOU SHOULD PICK ME.I just want a chance to run the London Marathon simple as that

thank you

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Name: Umbongo (not really)Brief running history: I started running (well more like a fast waddle) just over 4 years ago as part of my mid-life crisis –  had a choice of having a fling, buying a fast car or the London Marathon. Too ugly for fling, no money for a fast car so the long running thing won the day. I foolishly applied for a place in the ballot thinking I would just get a place (how difficult can it be?) only to get confronted with the harsh reality of rejection. Because I am made of strong stuff (but mostly because I had told friends and family I was going to do it) I decided to apply for a Gold Bond place with Asthma UK. YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS BIT AS IT’S THE SOB STORY BIT – I choose Asthma UK because my mother dead because of Asthma and two of my 4 kids have been in and out of hospital with the condition since an early age. Anyway FLM 2005 was my first marathon (my first race of any type) and since then I have run the race every year, raising money for Asthma UK every time. This year I got rejected again and don’t feel I can raise the money for the Golden Bond place the charity needs, so have decided that unless I get a place through my club I will have to miss it this year. Since that first race in 2005 I have run 5 other marathons, too many halfs to count, 10ks coming out of my ears and one 5K!Reasons why RW should train me:I have to fit my training in between a hectic family life (4 young kids) and my work. This often means running late at night (on treadmill in garage!) or early in the morning (before the kids wake up!). I follow training schedules with as rigidly as I can but feel that I am at the stage where I need that little bit of an extra push to take me to the next level. I have improved my marathon time by over an hour and know I can go much faster. However, my ability to train at regular times means that running with my running club is not practical so I can’t get the support and motivation from them. Having a personal coach at hand would fill that gap and motivate me to push it further but in the right way. Predicted Marathon Time: My target marathon time is sub 3:45 (I would love sub 3:30 but that may be another year) – my PB is 3:54
  • UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭
    Well that came out well didn't it?? What happened to all the spaces??
  • "Stephen Smith18".

There are quite obviously a few of us about including one of our proposed elite trainers (Steve Smythe).

I'm a 42year old medical researcher with 4 children (16,16,13,9). I was a reasonable school runner despite zero training but after medical school my weight ballooned by 3 stone as I was flying a  desk all day.

For the last 5 years I have been getting back into sport and really enjoy my running again. I have done a couple of legs of the Belfast Marathon over the years and finished my first GNR this year in 1:50. I think my slowish time in the GNR was because  I wasn't using any sports science to help my training and I started the race too far back in the field.  Despite my lack of proper training and pre-run trepidation, at 12 miles in, I was flying the last mile to the finish ( I ran it at around 6 minute mile pace). At that moment I knew that the full marathon was the next logical step. I certainly can train much better with your help.  I would be delighted to do my first full marathon in 4 hours.

One of my main reasons for wanting this opportunity is as a catalyst for my own children (and wife!) to get into running too. They are all reasonably sporty but I'm thinking that if their fat dad/husband can run a marathon then they can too!

• Name: Zoë Cobden-Jewitt (age 30)

Brief running history: Started a couple of years ago, not seriously and then decided that running the London marathon was the way to go. Hmm. So against a few odds (serious kidney infection at the start of the year, constant injury issues) I went ahead to honour my commitment to Macmillan Cancer Support, for whom I raised £2K. 

The day itself was such an achievement but a total horror in many ways too - I really hurt myself (!) and have had to undergo a lot of physio too (who knew that lazy buttocks even existed, much less would be a problem!) BUT am resolved to do myself - and the FLM - justice this year. I am also running on behalf of Macmillan again who are such a brilliant and worthwhile charity, and i'm so grateful to them for my place.

Reason why we should train you: PLEASE train me! I have worked so hard against injury and illness but am so, so determined to do the FLM this time around with some semblance of enjoyment! I really have come to enjoy running but would so, so benefit from experience. I also love writing and would be just thrilled to regale the readers with my Tales of the Unexpected While Training for FLM No.2. To have this opportunity would be just life-changing and might see me aim for No.3...! (Ok, a little ahead of myself there, maybe).

Predicted marathon time: Well. Last year i was supposed to come in at 4 hours-ish and had such an awful day it was over 5. So this time (famous last words) i'd love to simply improve and think that 4 could be achievable. With the right sort of help of course...;-) (come on, i had to try!).

Thanks so much!
    Zoë

• After having my first child in 2006, I decided  to get fit and bought my first decent pair of running shoes - A year almost to the date I ran the London Marathon. It was a hot day and my first marathon and I was just grateful to get around. I ran the marathon in 5hr 50, not the speediest of entries but my immediate thoughts were - Room for improvement, I had caught the running bug.

I try to run 3-4 times a week, heavy at the weekend as I work during the week. There are some lovely runs where I live in the High Peak which help make the 'bad run' days not quite so bad.

Running for charity was a real buzz, but the pressure of the training schedule combined with the fundraising schedule was hard. I would love the opportunity to run and be able to raise funds without the pressure of any threshold.

Why should you pick me - I want to keep fit and I need the next race fix to keep me focussed. I have only run one marathon, but have partcipated in several 1/2 marathons and 10k's in the last couple of years. I want to do better and with the correct focus I know I can improve upon my time, a sub 5hr would be my dream.

I am 35 and would love to be considered for the ultimate FLM experience, so please pick me.

• After having my first child in 2006, I decided  to get fit and bought my first decent pair of running shoes - A year almost to the date I ran the London Marathon. It was a hot day and my first marathon and I was just grateful to get around. I ran the marathon in 5hr 50, not the speediest of entries but my immediate thoughts were - Room for improvement, I had caught the running bug.

I try to run 3-4 times a week, heavy at the weekend as I work during the week. There are some lovely runs where I live in the High Peak which help make the 'bad run' days not quite so bad.

Running for charity was a real buzz, but the pressure of the training schedule combined with the fundraising schedule was hard. I would love the opportunity to run and be able to raise funds without the pressure of any threshold.

Why should you pick me - I want to keep fit and I need the next race fix to keep me focussed. I have only run one marathon, but have participated in several 1/2 marathons and 10k's in the last couple of years. I want to do better and with the correct focus I know I can improve upon my time, a sub 5hr would be my dream.

I am 35 and would love to be considered for the ultimate FLM experience, so please pick me.

• UmbongoUmbongo ✭✭✭

Name: Umbongo (not really)

Brief running history: I started running (well more like a fast waddle) just over 4 years ago as part of my mid-life crisis –  had a choice of having a fling, buying a fast car or the London Marathon. Too ugly for fling, no money for a fast car so the long running thing won the day. I foolishly applied for a place in the ballot thinking I would just get a place (how difficult can it be?) only to get confronted with the harsh reality of rejection. Because I am made of strong stuff (but mostly because I had told friends and family I was going to do it) I decided to apply for a Gold Bond place with Asthma UK. YOU MAY WANT TO SKIP THIS BIT AS IT’S THE SOB STORY BIT – I choose Asthma UK because my mother dead because of Asthma and two of my 4 kids have been in and out of hospital with the condition since an early age. Anyway FLM 2005 was my first marathon (my first race of any type) and since then I have run the race every year, raising money for Asthma UK every time. This year I got rejected again and don’t feel I can raise the money for the Golden Bond place the charity needs, so have decided that unless I get a place through my club I will have to miss it this year. Since that first race in 2005 I have run 5 other marathons, too many halfs to count, 10ks coming out of my ears and one 5K!

Reasons why RW should train me:I have to fit my training in between a hectic family life (4 young kids) and my work. This often means running late at night (on treadmill in garage!) or early in the morning (before the kids wake up!). I follow training schedules with as rigidly as I can but feel that I am at the stage where I need that little bit of an extra push to take me to the next level. I have improved my marathon time by over an hour and know I can go much faster. However, my ability to train at regular times means that running with my running club is not practical so I can’t get the support and motivation from them. Having a personal coach at hand would fill that gap and motivate me to push it further but in the right way. 

Predicted Marathon Time: My target marathon time is sub 3:45 (I would love sub 3:30 but that may be another year) – my PB is 3:54

• Hey! My name is Callum Mcgarrie and I am 18. My passion is running and I have been running for just one year now which started with the great north run which I was the youngest taking part and from there it has just snow balled. Now my Sundays are taken up by runs big and small I take part in. I believe I will be one of the youngest if not the youngest in the London marathon and be a good role model to teenagers out there. This could be the bench mark for London 2012 for me. I did the great north run last year in 1:39:54 and this year I did the Wolverhampton half marathon in a time of 1:27:51 so just under a year I have knocked off more than 12mins image. I have run for Alzheimer’s and asthma so far and raised £600 for them. I hope to do a lot better with the London and run for cancer research. All these charities are close to me because of family being victim to them. This being my first full marathon I want it to be one never to forget.I currently am a student at college studying sports science and work part time as a swimming teacher. Even though I do a lot of sports I have never had an opportunity like this before and I have already started training for the London marathon which I predict and hope I will do it under 3:00:00.
  • Vote Jovi Runner!

AND

Vote UmBongo!

Why vote Jovi?  She's bl00dy fast and too nice to mention that she had to pull out of FLM07 about two weeks before because of a calf tear - she was on for sub 4 then.  Then in FLM08 she had another similar last minute calf tear that didn't stop her, but dented her time to 4.06.  She deserves third time lucky - as long as she stays uninjured!  Vote Jovi!!! image

Why vote UmBongo?  To give him something else to think about when he's doing training runs late a night on his treadmill in his garage with only a couple of cooling fans for company.   And because he's so nice that he stayed with me in a half marathon even though he could have romped ahead. (and he had to put up with my panting). And because his training posts would be funny. Vote UmBongo.image

• UmB - a good way to get two goes at your pitch!
  • I am a 34 year years old, I started running in 2005 when I entered a local race for life for Cancer Research (Tesco's) it was only a 3 mile race and I belive I ran it in 45 minutes but it got into the runner bug and things have slowly progressed from there.  My Next race was for Asmtha as I am a asthmatic I thought it would be a good cause to raise some money for £350.00 it was my first 10K race which I completed in 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Since this time I have graudually taken the plunge as a relatively shy person and joined a local running group, to which I am now a fairly active member and go running with them at least one night a week (Tuesday's) and sometimes taking part in local races.

I completed the London Flora Marathon last year in five hours 39 minutes, I managed to get a place through the ballot but managed to rasie some money for Cancer Reaseach as a chosen charity.

This year both myself and my partner went through the process of applying in the ballot and we were not sucessful, I have managed to secure my partner a place with the charity VICTA as this is something that he has really wanted to do.

My reasons for wanting to have another go at running the marathon this year would be to have another shot at the time, last year came at such a shock to the system although I had put the hard work in and trained at running a distance of 17 miles on the day i wanted to stop at the 17 mile distance and not go any further, if I had another chance at doing the marathon I would be more mentally prepared for the distance and give it my full attention and potentially complete in a faster time.  It would also give my partner the encouragement he needs to complete the training to run his own marathon.

• NAME

Sue Cunningham

BRIEF HISTORY

I starting running 18 month ago using the couch to 5k running programme.  Having never run before, this was a mission in itself.    I then entered a Women’s only 5K race.  It was good fun and gave me a taster of what races have to offer.   Next, the BUPA 10,000 last May in the wind and rain.   I managed this in under 57 minutes – my fastest ever!  Then my biggest challenge so far – the Royal Parks Foundation Half Marathon earlier this month.   Outside my comfort zone, but I finished in 2 hours and 5 minutes – 10 minutes inside my target time! 

WHY YOU SHOULD TRAIN ME

I’m sure I would be a challenge for the coaches as I’ve never run anything like the distances we would need to cover.   But I would be a willing and grateful participant and would give the training my complete commitment.  I’m 52 now and although I won’t be a fast runner, I’m healthy and up to the challenge.  With regard to the diary we have to write, I would endeavour to keep a sense of humour that might encourage others.   My motto has always been ‘I run because I can’.  It’s what gets me out of bed in the dark and cold. 

PREDICTED MARATHON TIME

As for how long the Marathon would take me – under 5 hours would be great, but simply to complete the course would suit me just fine. 

• I vote for UmB too - he would be great joining me in the Super Six! and as Artful Hen says - his posts/blogs would definitely be the highlight of the forums.
  • Eric Jones age 62 My journey started some four years ago when I decided to give up my comfortable life as a couch potato and regain my fitness. Thanks to John Bingham I discovered running and have never looked back. I have a base mileage of 28 miles a week, a resting heart rate of 40 and run (touch wood) injury free. Over the past 13 months I have completed 4 events and you will see that my steady progress could well make me a contender for the 2016 games....well perhaps not. Great North Run 07 2.35 Great North Run 08 2.31 Great Welsh Run 08 1.08 E.D.F. Challenge 08 2.27. Being honest my training does lack variety and I am now at a stage where I do need help..I just love getting out there and running. However I am potentially a star pupil and would offer 100% commitment, enthusiasm and effort. I do believe that I could ably represent an important niche sector of our readership and I would be very pleased to share with them my experiences, highs lows and lessons learnt. I would like to challenge myself to complete my first marathon in under 5 hours.
  • Hi! My name is Melanie McNeil and I am 36 years old marrried with a 5yr old daughter.

I have alsways enjoyed sports and keeping fit and for the past couple of years have been doing 10k runs at the gym and also out and about at the weekend when i get the chance. My best 10k time outdoor is under 51 minutes and on a treadmill with 1% incline 46 mins.

Although i work full time I still make time to do the runs and in the week start my gym routine at 6:30 a.m. - that way when i finish work I can spend the evening with my family. I also play football on a Sunday for a team in the East Midlands Premier league which also keeps me fit. As yet I haven't entered a competive race but do try to race against my own personal best times.

my excuse for not entering my local Nottingham marathon is the fact that i play footy and also the time I would have to put aside to train as I think its important that if i was to do this i would need to be in the best condition suitable for the race. If I was lucky enough to be  given the opportunity to run in the London Marathon I would make the training for this my first priority and to be given the opportunity to work with elite Marathon athletes would be amazing.

I target time which i believe i can achieve with the right training would be 4 hours and 30 minutes.

• I started running in 2000  and ran the London marathon in 2001.  This proved to be my best time of 4.50.I ran again in 2002.  When my daughter was 18 we ran London together in 2006 and went on to run New York in the same year and then Chicago in 2007 and Boston and Berlin this year raising over  £10,000 for three different charities.  We have had the most fabulous time together and really enjoyed  the experience but feel that we did not reach our full potential.  I am now 49 and would love to run one more marathon with help and support to help me achieve the best that I am capable of.  I do take the training very seriously and am very motivated but also enjoy encouraging other people to start running, the problem being that most of them normally end up running off in front of me!  After every marathon I normally say that this is the last one but then I just get the longing to do another one and have entered Silverstone half.  I hope that I am an inspiration to other people who are not so young to see that an ordinary person like me can make these achievements even though my times may not be fast.  I would be thrilled if I was picked for this, to have this opportunity would be amazing!
  • Name: Sarah Daniels

Running History:  I'm 38  years old and it's only in the last 2 years that I've taken up running again.  I was extremely sporty and fit at school and used to run the 800 metres for my county and school.  I missed out on getting into the All England Team when I was 16 by only a few seconds and then when I went to University I gave it all up when I discovered boys (I was a late starter!) and drinking!   The other issue I had when I used to compete back then was that I used to get so nervous before a race that I was physically sick and it actually took all the enjoyment out of competing and training, so much so that I was hugely relieved to give it all up.  In my early twenties I used to keep fit by playing squash but when I reached my by late twenties I did very little for a period of about 10 years.  Then a couple of years ago a very long relationship ended and I decided to make some positive changes in my life so joined a gym and discovered the passion for running that in my youth had been missing.  I did a 10K run earlier this year, came third in the women and did a time of 49 minutes and have also just completed the Birmingham Half Marathon in a time of 1 hour 57 minutes.  I had given myself the target of finishing it in under 2 hours and now know that I could have done it a lot quicker had I trained properly and for longer. 

Reasons why:  I had already entered the 2009 London marathon and been rejected and had decided that I would definitely like to have a go at the Edinburgh full marathon next year and also do another half marathon prior to that.  I know it will take a lot more training and commitment than I gave to the half marathon and I'm absolutely looking forward to it.  When I decide to do something I don't believe in half measures (ask my personal trainer!) but I would also love to have the support and guidance of experts.  I would be a great person to train because I already have an innate running ability, I'm ridiculously competitive (ask my friends and family!) and I also believe it's my 2nd chance to have a go at achieving something great (for me), which I didn't follow through with when I was 16.  The thought of doing a full marathon scares the hell out of me but I would also love to rise to the challenge.

Predicted time:  Under 4 hours

• Hi,

My name is Lauren Diventura and for the past 2 years I have been getting into running. When I was younger I was really into my fitness, captain of netball, tennis swimming and cross country running. Then work took over my life and my fitness level dropped - normal story of life! Then nearly 4 years ago I met my husband who is a keen runner and has run the London Marathon 3 times. His enthusiasm and passion for running and achieving something truly outstanding rubbed off on me and so I started getting fit again back at the gym and running on the treadmill.  My fitness levels started to improve and he suggested going out running with him.  I started out very slow and built my fitness level up.  I have now run over 3 tough 10k races (sub 52 mins), an 8.2 mile race (sub 73 mins) and a 10 mile race (sub 1hr 30mins).  I am training for my first half marathon which is in January and it is my dream to run the marathon there after in April. I am on schedule with my training to achieve the fitness level I need to. The other reason I want to run the London Marathon is to show hard working professionals like me that you can find the time in your busy life to get fit, and train for something spectaculuar instead of coming home of day and watching Eastenders.  My job is mentally demanding and I have found that running has helped me to achieve both professional and personal goals. I feel so strongly about running that I recently set one of my team members a personal goals as part of the personal development plan to run a 10k race. This was to help build his confidence and plan to achieve something he didn't think he would be able to. He smoked, drank frequently and lead an unhealthy lifestyle!  I am pleased to say last weekend he completed his 10k race in under 58 mins and found it a life changing experience! Running the marathon is my biggest dream and I want to be able to aspire others that anything is possible if you put your mind to it!  I am prepared to do whatever it takes in terms of training and preparation!

I would predict to finish the race in 4hrs

Thank you for your time

Regards Lauren

• Name: Sarah Galbraith

Brief Running History: In 1999 I ran London Marathon for the 1st time in 3:36:14, Edinburgh Marathon (3:40:14) the Great North Run and the Great Sam Bracknell Half Marathon (1hr 35mins) followed that year. In 2000 the Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon was preparation for another London Marathon and a time of 3:36:00. 2004 London again 4:01:13 (after injury & ill a break was needed) This year I have raced a  3K (3rd), 5K (2nd) for charities. Also 10K's (3rd, 4th, 6th & 10th) out of the Women. My fastest time in less than desirable wind & rain on the 5thct08 for a 10K being 40mins 37secs.

Reasons Why We Should Train You:   What can I say through wind, hail, rain, ice, even snow I run. Some ask why? Because I can and enjoy the freedom it gives me, is my reply. I was diagnosed with anaemia 10 years ago. An intolerance to medications meant that I was left having to have many blood transfusions, as it became worse. Even though my performance has in recent years been drastically affected, hence I have not been able to race as much. The one thing that kept me going when chest pain, muscle cramps, fatigue, low mood, dizziness & shortness of breath made life difficult, was making myself stronger by running. This year I have had 5 months of a new treatment weekly meaning for the first time in 10years I have a normal blood level. I feel stronger than ever and my ultimate goal is to break 3hrs 25mins. I know that with the guidance of the Lucozade team professionals I can achieve the last goal of recovery I have set myself. Ultimately this is my way of showing all the dedicated health care professionals the difference they have made to my life.            Allow me the opportunity and I will give you 110% commitment, then watch this space..............

Predicted Time: 3 Hours 22mins. 

• Steve Robinson (aged 37)

It's a very short history. I applied for the 2009 London Marathon as the starting gun went off for the 2008 one - it was quite simply a spur of the moment decision. I was watching the race on TV with my 3 sons (9, 7 and 3yrs old) and I thought "I'm going to do it", so I applied. That very afternoon I went out for my first run, at 15.5stone I was overweight (BMI = Obese = scary!) it wasn't easy but I enjoyed it. I then decided to set some milestones, 1st the Windsor Half Marathon (completed in 2hr23), 2nd the GSR (completed in 1hr33), 3rd Reading Half and 4th London. I've lost 2stones in weight and I'm determined to do this! I was so happy to receive a ballot place, but then reality dawned on me... I'm actually going to have to do this!

I am an absolute beginner, I think I'm doing the right things but desparately need advice and guidance. I really want my son's to be proud of me and I equally want to raise money for charity. I've chosen to run for MacMillan as my family, my close friends and my work colleagues have all been directly effected by Cancer and quite frankly they need all the help they can get!

My intention is to complete the 26.2 miles of London in around 4 hours. To do this I know I need to improve somewhat, hence why this opportunity would be great for me.

Thanks for your time!

• Please please please choose Vicki: Graceless Whippet (and her luminous shorts image) for the FLM 09 competition!

Her transformation over the past few years from overweight couch potato to speedy racer lady is tremendous - I've only known her slim, and still find it hard to believe that the 'before' photos are actually her!

She's a regular poster on the GNR thread, as well as having her own blog so she certainly wouldn't be daunted by the whole 'running diary aspect to it.  And her entries are always entertaining to read (eg comparing one training run to Raiders of the Lost Ark)

She's also extremely committed to her running and racing, as evidenced by the number and mixture of events (road races, cross-country, track etc etc) she competes in.

Vicki's always been a huge support to other posters on the GNR thread and is a mine of information on lots of stuff, and goes out of her way to give local knowledge to people coming from out of the area for the GNR.  She's also a fellow club-mate and good friend to me in 'real life' too.

I know that she would take this training opportunity very seriously, and deserves the chance to discover what she could possibly achieve.  And there's lots of us who'd love to read all about her marathon adventures.

• Name: Sarah Galbraith (Age: 32)

Brief Running History: In 1999 I ran London Marathon for the 1st time in 3:36:14, Edinburgh Marathon (3:40:14) the Great North Run and the Great Sam Bracknell Half Marathon (1hr 35mins) followed that year. In 2000 the Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon was preparation for another London Marathon and a time of 3:36:00. 2004 London again 4:01:13 (after injury & ill a break was needed) This year I have raced a  3K (3rd), 5K (2nd) for charities. Also 10K's (3rd, 4th, 6th & 10th) out of the Women. My fastest time in less than desirable wind & rain on the 5thct08 for a 10K being 40mins 37secs.

Reasons Why We Should Train You:   What can I say through wind, hail, rain, ice, even snow I run. Some ask why? Because I can and enjoy the freedom it gives me, is my reply. I was diagnosed with anaemia 10 years ago. An intolerance to medications meant that I was left having to have many blood transfusions, as it became worse. Even though my performance has in recent years been drastically affected, hence I have not been able to race as much. The one thing that kept me going when chest pain, muscle cramps, fatigue, low mood, dizziness & shortness of breath made life difficult, was making myself stronger by running. This year I have had 5 months of a new treatment weekly meaning for the first time in 10years I have a normal blood level. I feel stronger than ever and my ultimate goal is to break 3hrs 25mins. I know that with the guidance of the Lucozade team professionals I can achieve the last goal of recovery I have set myself. Ultimately this is my way of showing all the dedicated health care professionals the difference they have made to my life.            Allow me the opportunity and I will give you 110% commitment, then watch this space..............

Predicted Time: 3 Hours 22mins. 

RUNNING BACKGROUND: Still fairly new to running races. Started last year when I was 5 months pregnant when I decided to do my local Race for Life for Cancer Research. I am normally a gym junkie but  really enjoyed being outside feeling the wind in my hair rather than the smell of sweaty gym goers!! I  decided that after I had the baby in January, I would continue to run. I have done a number of 5km races this year and recently did my first 10km (1 hour 5 mins) and doing two more in November.

CURRENT GOALS:  To never give up!!

REASONS WHY I WOULD LIKE THIS PACKAGE:I have four children (6, 4, 2 and 9 months) so quite used to "running around"...imageseriously though, it would be a fantastic challenge and achievement and to spend some "quality time" for myself, which I don't do very often.  It would be great to be trained correctly and to be pushed in the right direction.. I am dedicated and once I set my mind on something, I try and do it the best of my ability... I was a bit unsure about entering this competition after reading all the other blogs and seeing everyones experiences and times but after re-reading the entry information I saw "Whatever your motivation or experience, don't be shy - we're looking for people of all ages and abilities to take on the challenge." and thought what the heck, go for it!!

PREDICTED MARATHON TIME: Hmm, an honest answer to this would be that I would have no idea and to place your bets!!!

• Name: Phil Knowler  Brief running history: I was an overweight Sunday footballer but age caught up with me and I had to give up playing (too many 18 yr olds running rings around me - it got embarrassing), so to try and keep active I decided to run the London Marathon on 2007. I completed it but an ITB injury half way through nearly stoppped me in my tracks, it was only my determination to finish that got me through. During training I ran the Silverstone half marathon and Bramley 10. I also completed the GSR as it is on home ground but I really shouldn't have done it as since then this injury has almost stopped me. I seem to be over it now and am just starting to enter races again.Reason why we should train you: Mainly to prove that 19 stone diabetic 44 year olds CAN RUN MARATHONS. The publicity Lucozade would get if they helped me get through would be fantastic, and it would surely inspire others who want to do it but think they can't.
    Predicted marathon time: My FLM 2007 marathon was 8 hours!! I expect to knock at least 2 hours off that time ( I was on target until my injury). TBH, I just want to finish when there are still crowds at the finish line and before they dismantle the 24 mile marker -  they did last time I was there! I have a Realbuzz blog,check it out - http://www.realbuzz.com/?pageID=1997&blog=2024
  • Name: Rachael Hares

Brief running history: As a modern pentathlete, I have been used to running the shorter distances of 3km, over the summer I wanted to set a challenge and aim for the Great North Run and Birmingham Half marathon and I raised £250+ for Macmillan. This has given me such a buzz to do more participation events and has raised my challenge to do the full marathon!

Reason why we should train you: At the Birmingham Half I was successful enought to run sub 1hr 30, which looks like it is the qualifying time for the elite race. I see this is as a fantstic opportunity and maybe the only chance I have to run in this situation. The problem..... I have no idea how to go from the half to the full and still be competitive in that group!! I don't want to be left on my own!!!!!!!!

All my training has been based around the shorted stuff, but just enough to get me through the half, I have no idea how to take it on to the next level!

Predicted marathon time: I would love to go sub 3hr!!! Not sure if it is possible

• My running history includes a mixed bag of half and whole marathons, 10k, 5k, terrain and and hill-races and triathlons. I am always ready to try something new and I find that variety increases the fun factor and reduces the probability of injury. I was hoping to celebrate my 40th by running the NY marathon this year and was VERY disappointed not to get a place.  But must look forward and the LONDON marathon would be even better! I ran London in 2003 in 4hrs and 23 min - it was an amazing experience and I would LOVE to do it again!! I am now, despite being older, in much better shape and feel confident that with the right training I could do it in sub 3:45.  My two kids are my biggest fans and great collectors of my medals and cups etc.....I desparately need another London marathon medal so that they have one each! 

Please?

M

• Hi my name is Laura, and I'm 28.  When I was at school, I steadfastly avoided any form of exercise, and thought I was having a heart attack at the end of a 1500m race when I was 14.  I convinced myself that I would never be a runner, and resolutely avoided it for several years.

18 months ago, I decided that I needed to give myself a bit of challenge and life was getting a bit boring.  I had begun to put a little bit of weight on, and was bored with doing the same exercise routine in the gym.  An uncle had passed away the year before due to cacner, so I signed myself up to do a Cancer Research 10k.  My (now) husband was really encouraging, especially at the start when running for any longer than 2 minutes was a real challenge, and I followed a race plan to achieve an end time of about 74 minutes.  Fairly slow, but I felt ecstatic to complete the course in one piece and raise money.

This year, I completed the Great Manchester Run in 68mins, which I was really pleased with, having trained a lot harder than previously.  However, following my recent wedding, I feel in limbo and a bit demotivated, and therefore need a major challenge to pick myself up again.  I find the wealth of information available on running overwhelming and a bit confusing, and would therefore love a full training plan that included nutritional advice and a trainer to keep me motivated.  I need to mindful of my family's medical history (which includes heart disease and cancer), and want to raise money for a good cause.  No-one would believe that I could complete it, and I would love to prove to the ordinary person on the street that they can do something once they really set their mind to it.  I'd simply be aiming to complete the marathon without stopping rather than within a particular time, as that in itself would be a personal best, but if I have to pick a time then it would be 5 hours!