Gait Analysis/Shoe fitting Manchester or Cheshire?

Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a gait analysis?  I have been running in Saucony Paramounts but they need updating and would like to get some shoes properly fitted for my running style/gait.

Thanks!

Comments

• Sweatshop in Hyde

Running Bear in Alderley Edge

Foot Traffic in Bolton

Not an exhaustive list by any stretch but the ones I know and trust!

• Would agree with Sensible's sensible suggestions! I would phone first to check what analysis they can offer, though.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I have tried Running Bear(Alderley Edge) and Up and Running (Triangle, Manchester). 

Not being funny, but did not rate Running Bear at all.  Their idea of gait analysis was to run up and down the street while someone watched me?!  Hardly technical is it?  As if to prove my point, they actually sold me MENS trainers, a size too big, and totally unsuitable...being a complete novice at the time I did not know any better...........(they were expensive too)......Other people no doubt, will have found them good, but that's what I found at any rate.

Up and Running was totally different, really personal service, a proper treadmill linked to a computer where the chap their analysed my gate, where my feet landed etc.  He even made me take my shoes off and stand on one foot to see if my foot rolled in etc...he was really helpful and I was very happy...oh, and he then proceeded to knock 10%off! Highly recommended.

• ....PS....best to go in the week, as I believe they can get busy on a weekend, and might not have the same amount of time, or you might have to wait to go on the treadmill.

• Someone else has mentioned Up and Running in town as well, but as I haven't been...etc etc. Remember, you do not have to buy from where you get the analysis done!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • .....though they may charge if you do not?...or so I heard?!

• Up and Running, as RP says. Friendly, patient, professional, staffed by runners and knowledgeable about their shoes.

Be aware that if you don't purchase your shoes there, then they'll charge you for the gait analysis. I got a club running discount though of 10% and I don't begrudge the cost of the shoes. They were brilliant.

• Tri-Active in Chester.  If he hasn't got boxes of shoes on the tready.  Small shop,  staff seem knowledgeable. 
  • I send all our new starters to Up and Running in the Triangle and I have had a pretty universal thumbs up the feedback.

Quite a few of our ladies have been sent packing with no new shoes as the ones they have gone in with are fine.  (now thats a sign of a good shop I'd say) 

And I agree with RP about running bear, great shop lovely people, but they do need proper gait analysis to compete

• and take your current pair in with you when you go....

and if you are anywhere near Didsbury/Withington and want to join a super dooper friendly club..............image

• I wasn't impressed with Up&Running in the triangle.  In my case they ordered soem shoes that took ages to come and then they gave me the wrong ones (not wide fitting).  If you're young, female and attractive then they will give you loads of attention.  If not, then they've wandered off literally halfway through our fittings to serve new female customers.

There is however a brand new shop in town, opened last week in the Arndale opposite WH Smiths, with full gait analysis that is part of the Sweatshop chain - She runs, he runs.  Was in there last week for the 20% off opening deals and found the staff helpful and pleasant, but didn't see the gait analysis as it's done in a nice little private area at the back of the shop.  They also do a gurantee on the shoes beign right for you - if yoou don't like them then you can return them, check the website for the details of that.

I have used Sweatshop in Hyde and they are very very good, so I'd either go for them or the new one in town (assuming the same training). 

And personally, I would suggest you do buy from where you get the anlaysis done otherwise all the places that do this will go bust and we'll all be running in the wrong shoes.  Second pairs, that's a different story, but the first...

• I went to Running Bear and although I was made to run on the street they also did the treadmill and camera thing. To be honest though I wasn't massively impressed with the service I got.

For a start they didn't seem to have a massive selection of shoes to choose from, the pair they showed me seemed to be the only ones they had for my gait. They also did the thing that all running shops staff have done to me, lectured me on how they're a better runner than me which I already know but they always seem to get some sort of pleasure from it.

However to make me feel better when I was done on the treadmill he showed me a number of other peoples gait and how bad other runners were as well, a rather fat person was particularly slow. This didn;t make me feel much better though as I imagine my gait is now on the clip reel.

I'd be lying if I said I'd found a shop I actually like, the problem seems to be a lack of choice of shoes, they always say to try on a number of different pairs and the most I have ever been offered was two. The NB shop in Shap however had about 8 choices for me (just NB)

R
  • What about paying for it if you dont like the shoe ranges  they stock or the price they are selling them at - i would be happy to pay for a proper full professional independent gait analysis ..not one designed to sell me a particular brand of shoes ...actually i had a free video analysis done by the guy at Harris and Ross but they were selling Physio sessions not shoes...
  • (if you don't find some shoes that fit whilst there, then no problem, but don't find some you like then walk out the shop and buy the ones the assistant has spent 30 minutes fitting you with on a £2000 treadmill and with all the laptop and video for £10 cheaper off the net.)
  • no ..i really wouldnt mind just paying for a proper full professional independent gait analysis ..just not sure if that is what they are in reality (i have some major biomechanical probs in one leg so it might be useful ..just not convinced that "gait analysis" can really correct it -neither am i convinced that everything is ok with the "right" shoesimage suspect a new leg may be better !
  • I agree D74 I went to my LBS to look at bike shoes with every intention of just seeing what the sizing was like etc before getting some of ebay but the assistant made such a point of offering advice and being so lovely and helpful I couldn't bring myself to not buy from him - I'd have felt like I'd cheated him if I'd taken all his time and advice and then spent my money else where.
  • Running Bear is great for a local shop but its only a small place and they don't stock much.  I actually tried Up and Running at Triangle and didn't find it that great...they gave me a fair amount of time on the treadmill but out of the 4 shoes I wanted to decide between they didn't have any in my size and had to order them in which took ages.

The new one in Arndale sounds promising, think I will have a look there!

• The one in Arndale still there? Any reviews of it?
  • Yes it's still there, rebranded as a Sweatshop.

Not used it though.  I generally go to the one in Hyde.

• You could try Royles  in t he centre of Wilmslow (Grove St). They have a good selection of shoes and video gait analysis. Worth a look at their website www.royles.biz before you go as they have sale shoes  that they can get to the shop if you ask beforehand.
  • Another vote for Up & Running in the Triangle. They charge £10 for gait analysis if you don't buy your shoes from there (it's free if you do). Based on my gait analysis there were 3 brands of shoe that I could choose from and they were happy for me to try them on and spend as much time using the treadmill as I liked until I was able to make a decision on which I liked best. Ended up with the Mizuno Inspire 8s which have been great so far. They also said that if I found I didn't like the fit I could bring them back and try others. Couldn't be happier with the service to be honest.
  • I think this has been mentioned above, but we have bought from FOOT TRAFFIC in bolton. very good service.

• JJB at Broughton, Chester offer free gait analysis and a wide range of product to support it, the staff know their stuff and are more than happy to spend time finding the right solution.

• Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

I used U&R in the Triangle last year. Thought they were excellent. They didn't charge me for the analysis and the shoes they recommended weren't the most expensive and have done me fine for well over 500 miles.