GULP just entered my first half marathon

Well, I did it. I have just entered the Bentwood half marathon in March next year. Feeling very sick as 13 and a bit miles is a long way and so far i've only managed to run 8. But then I figure that in feb this year I could only run for 30 seconds so I've come a long way since then and there are still nearly 5 months to go....................image GULP

Comments

• Easy peasy Julia image 

Good luck! 

• You'll manage no sweat Julia - you've already got a good base to build on. I've signed up for my first half too - doing the Paris half also in March and starting to panic a bit - I did the Great South Run on Sunday and had absolutely nothing left in the tank by the end so need to find those extra few miles from somewhere.

Good luck with the race and enjoy.

• hey Julia

Snap = this will be my first too image

• March ahh

well now - if you keep nicely training , you'll simply hammer it - How's about a shorter race before

good luck - PMA - and keep hydrated  

• You can manage 8 already and you are worried about March?.....Don't!  I tell you, some people don't even run as far as 8 in prep for a half....you will be fine!
  • 26 years ago next march I entered my first half marathon - it was Brentwood - three weeks after entering it I ran it - I was 23 at the time and hadn't done any excercise since leaving school - but I still got round -

Brentwood is a great little race - (although the course has altered slightly since then) but I went on to run it many times after that - as you are already on 8 miles you'll be fine - maybe increase your long run to 10 to build stamina.

Good luck 

• Congratulations on making that decision, Julia!

March 2009?  Loadsa time!!! image  You've got a good base to build up on, as others have said, some people run half maras without even having completed anywhere near 8 miles in training! image

I'd actually recommend trying to get further than 10 miles in training before running the race.  The closest you can get to the actual distance, the more comfortable you'll feel on the day - say, 11 or 12 miles (I actually got up to 14 before my first half, with the intention of making the actual distance seem 'easy' in comparison).   You have plenty of time to still increase your mileage by 10 % per week and get up to this sort of distance.  Focus on distance and increasing your endurance and 'time-spent-on-feet' first, before worrying about speed (although given how far you're already running, a little variation to the types of run you do probably wouldn't hurt).

As Mick suggests, it might be worth entering the odd shorter, local race to gauge your performance in the run-up to the big event, and also to get used to races, what happens, how it all works and how it all feels.

Anyways, the best of luck with it - I'm sure you'll be just fine.

LP xx 

• You'll find it a breeze. Just increase your distance a little at a time and you'll be there easy peasy.

Oh and do follow the advice about running some trial races as part of your training, It'll teach you how to deal with nerves, warm ups, cool downs, stretching, post race recovery. When you come to run your half it will be a breeze, you'll enjoy it so much more.

Stop fretting and start enjoying. You've set yourself a realistic achievable goal. Great. image

All the best.

• Thankyou for all the encouragement everyone! I have done a few 5k races already and am running the Billericay 10k on Sunday. I plan to gradually up my long run by a little bit each week and hopefully manage 14+ miles at least once so it seems easier .............as you say Lady Pineapple.

I feel much better now i've actually entered.............."I'm running the Brentwood half you know" rather than, "I'm thinking about......blah blah" !

OOhh la la Doric Lass, Paris sounds very cosmopolitan! Do you go past the Eiffel tower?

Where's yours Icclesuez?

And thankyou everyone else, although I get nervous at the start of races I get sssssssooooooooooo excited too! Just to be there is awesome image

• Julia, you'll be great.  Just keep on doing what you're doing.  Brentwood's a great race.

See you Sunday

• Julia

Looks like we're both be doing our first halfs in March 2009!

Some brilliant advice from other posters which I'm taking on board too.

Good luck with your training,I'm finding that I'm even more focussed now I've entered!

• Me too, I thought i'd be even more nervous but now i've taken the plunge i can't wait to start building up the miles.

Ultra Kazzaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah i've just seen your post on the Billericay 10k thread, hope you feel better soon. I'm no 50 on sunday so say hello if you decide to run and spot me! I'm expecting a time around 80 mins though so you may have gone home by time i get back! image

• I expect I'll be there Julia.  Having raced each of the last five weekends it'll feel odd not to!!  I'm 401. 
  • Hmmm .....as old as that and still running eh? Are you in the Guiness Book of records? image

Only jesting of course - i'll look keep an eye out for you image

• How rude Susiebe, I didn't ask where your first half is?

• Well I have got the dreaded red cross on my number!!
  • Julia

Its the Reading Half marathon on March 29th.Is yours before mine?

I live near Oxford so Reading is quite close.It will be funny running around it as I've only ever been there shopping before!

The finish is in the Majaski stadium which is where the football team play,people say the support and atmosphere at the end is great,just hope I'm in a fit state to enjoy it!

• susie, Reading was my first half many moons ago!  Not done the new course but it's another good one for a first timer.
  • U.K. I didn't realise that's what the red cross was for until someone kindly pointed it out..........i have one too i'm afraid.....do the marshalls take a special interest in us in case we need extra help? (like oxygen, walking frames, etc etc) image

Ah ha! Susie be! I saw Reading advertised in Runnersworld, it looks like a fantastic place to end, i expect you will get goosebumps down your back and a lump in your throat. and a tear in your eye......Mine is on 15th march and, as you say, weird to go and run at a place where you go shopping! Although we also go through some villages too.

• Never quite worked out why they put the 'here's another oldie' cross on the numbers!  That said in a local race some years ago one of the marshalls near the finish called out that I was first lady vet but otherwise I don't quite know what use it would be.  I was so surprised that I nearly fell over!! image
  • Wow! Well done, I think it's unlikely i'd ever be in that position but at age 46, 3 stone lighter than i was (another couple to go) and having only been doing this since february  i'm just so chuffed to even be wearing a number that I can't complain! image
  • Let me know when your ready for that long run Juliaimage, we'll head on out!

Jen-jenx

• Julia

Back from a family visit today and catching up on a few posts here.

Really great to see you enjoyed your 10k and bettered the time you expected by FOUR minutes.That great,and it must give you huge encouragement and confidence to enter more races and towards your half in March.

Yes entering the Madejski stadium will be great,my legs go wobbily just thinking about it!!Hopefully they will just allow me to crawl over the line though!!
  • Julia, well done,  hope you keep us posted with your progress, i have signed up for my first two Half Marathons in Helsby and Wilmslow (north west) in spring next year, i'm terrified as i've only ever ran over 6/7k once, so i've got to doublethat effort, but like you i remember going 100m and stopping because it was too hard, yet i've ran several 10k races now, so i know WE can do it.

Good luck

• To quote that famous building chap...........Can we do it?.......YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we just have to very slowly start upping the distance  and remember how far we have already run. And if we have to walk some of it so be it.

Jenny i've been on map my run and worked out a 13.5 mile route which goes past both our houses so we can start doing bits of it and building up........image

• Sounds good Julia image. Hehehehehe. I can't wait! image0

Jen-jen x

• Good luck to you too Scott, if you need motivation let us know!

Jen-jen i can't wait either! image

hmmmm

• I've entered my first half too - the Blackpool and I too am having moments of 'Oh crap! what the hell am I doing?!' have done 5km and 10km, trying to convince myself it's not much further (but oh my God - it is though) Good to know there are others in the same position.

• Julia - I went from run 6 mile in December to doing London Half Marathon, so you should have no problem. I will join you at Brentwood if hubby is not working.