A bit like sub-4 (but 15 minutes quicker)

Comments

• LS That's a coincidence: Monday night's pool night for me too. 64 lengths of inhaling chlorinated water, with a coach criticising my stroke. Do you wear armbands?
  • Just the captains.

I'll be taking in half a gallon of Guinness. Like chlorine, too much makes my eyes go funny, and like swimming, my legs turn to jelly after a good session.

And my stroke is fine, thank you very much.

• Anyone racing this weekend? How d'you get on?

Lovely 12.3 miles in 8.25's yesterday. Legs feel soooore today though, so will probably do the right thing and do some gentle cross training and stretching in the gym, try not to go on the treadmill. Need to look after my legs in preparation for next Sunday's race.

LS - I confess I watch X factor and Strictly!

• Morning

Beders - At least you were partying some of us had to workimage

Two races over the weekend

friday i did 5km LFOTM but was working thursday night but did manage 6 hrs sleep beforehand Got my first road sub 25 in 3 years splits from memory 4:55 4:59 4:59 5:04 and 5:00 for a 24:58. Did struggle or rather slowed down towards end of 4th km when i started to lose contact with the 2 faster ladies i was trying to keep in touch with. In the end i was about 15 and 20 seconds behind them

working friday night and saturday only got 3½  hours sleep saturday afterwork before i headed to Billericay for a 10km lovely course on a still day which it was pace was a bit up and down as were the hills but finished in 52:11 (52:14 officially) it was a seasons best though would like a bit better. Probably won't do another 10km now till new years day though there will be a few shorter races

• Afternoon

Puffy, glad to hear your son is on the move again and improving.  I've entered Wilmslow too, after really enjoying it last year, see you there.

Clairster, just me and you at Lancaster on Sunday, as Nick said she's not in any sort of shape to run it and has not been well either.  Will text you to find out what time you're getting there on Saturday, we should arrive early evening - can go out for eats if you like.  110 miles?!!  That's some going  image

Beders, yes, think I'm in BM as cheque has been cashed.  Nice LSR sounds good, with the emphasis on S-L-O-W.  I'll come to your house too if that's OK, what time is best?  Oh, I hope I can manage 19.5 miles.

Tutu, hopefully you'll be able to meet up with us for the canal run, looking forward to meeting you.

Freemers, good going on your 12 miler, I definitely need to s-t-r-e-t-c-h more!!

Euph, when are Snake Lane forms out any ideas?  You're also in charge of Rombalds forms please, as you're better informed than me on that front  image  Glad house is getting sorted and the Jaffa Cakes are going down nicely.  More sleep is definitely needed - local club only meets on Wednesday nights, so I only go every other week, otherwise it's too much.  Going to physio next week, as adductors and hip flexors are sort and tight, so hopefully she can twist me back into shape a bit.  I think I need more core work too, it's easy to neglect it.

LS, much faster than me, I managed 8.30 miling for 13 miles on Friday after work.  Weather here was pants yesterday, rain and freezing wind - I love days for running like you described, they are just the best.

Hobble, gardening sounds like a good workout, time to rake up the leaves soon.  Running definitely helps to keep the calories at bay.

Well done Pammie on your 2 runs over the weekend with hardly any sleep!!  You obviously run well on sleep deprivation!  5K is a tough little distance to race - most of our XC are this distance and it certainly increases the heart rate.

Great to see Paula winning in New York in style yesterday - did anyone else watch it?  I'm a total anorak and then swiched over to watch the Grand Prix and Lewis take the title (just), after 2 days of the cycling world championships - not totally a couch potato (honest)!!

• Well done on your two races Pammie - especially on little sleep! Took me a while to work out what LFOTM stood for! Which 10k are you doing on NYD?
  • Pammie, don't know how you can do 5 and then 10k a day later, with barely no pace loss image with a bit of rest and not doing 5k day before I'm sure you'll get that 10k time you desire.

3 cheers for Lewis, amazing driver. Nearly as good as me in my cavalier when I was 19! Though I lost the will to race after destroying 20ft of fence, a gate, and wrapping it around a fencepost image

If the big man with the White Beard is being kind to stoker then he's definately grinding his axe with me. There was the the constant wind, rain on my run yesterday and today I can't get anything done beacuse two of team are off unexpectedly and I'm having to spend whole day reassigning folder permissions on a dodgy server which lost them during a reboot. With accounts screaming at me as they can't access files and its end of month - very frustrating image I'm posting as I dare not do anything else on PC should I accidentally kill one of the half dozen replication processes running on my pc. P.s. don't expect many to understand this particular frustration!

As if not busy enough with work, running, house, I start an Art course tonight. Should be fun though.

• Painting or posing Euph? Apprently you can earn good money as a life model....
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Oh no, it's the final lap, it's raining and I've got the wrong tyres!!

It looks like I'll be beaten to TOTP by...

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

MYSELF!!!  WOO-HOOO!!

SB

that wan't supposed to happen!

• Still replicating image

JBSS - My stretching is also terrible, I'm like a lego man. Core stuff going ok though, 2 short and 2 longer sessions last week, also reckon the hills yesterday should have helped some. Missed the end of NY marathon, will have to find a report.

Snake Lane 10

Freemers - Good going, what race distance is it next week? I'll have to resurrect the the race list 

I also appreciate Xfactor and Strictly as acts as motivation for me to stop watching the TV. Peter Kaye's spoof a few weeks back was quite amusing.

still replicating image

• 7 miles on Sunday Euph. Gentle course, a few minor ups/downs, but a nice blow out.

• November
    02/11 - Guy Fawkes 10m: Ozy, clairster??
    02/11 - Hellrunner: Tutu
    02/11 - Billericay 10KM - Pammie
    08/11 - Glen Clova Half: Dogfish Dave, Little Stoker.
    09/11 - Stowmarket Scenic 7: Freemers
    09/11 - Lancaster Half Marathon: JBSS, Nick
    09/11 - Tavy 7 : Night Nurse
    16/11 - St Neots Half: BlueWombat
    16/11 - Thorpe Park 10k: Euph
    16/11 - Flatts Lane XC: JBSS
    16/11 - Epsom 10: Chelsea Plodder
    22/11 - Liverpool Leeds multiterrain canal towpath 19.5m World Championship: Euph
    23/11 - Abbey Dash 10k: Tutu Much
    30/11 - Thirsk 10m: Euph, Ozy, JBSS, Tutu Much (not sure yet)
    30/11 - City of Norwich Half Marathon: Freemers

December
    06/12 - Rudolph Romp 24: Euph?
    07/12 - Acklam XC: JBSS
    07/12 - stockport 10 (yippppeeee): clairster
    28/12 - Jolly Holly Jog 10K: JBSS

Jan 2009
    01/01 - Wymondham 10k: Freemers
    03/01 - Hebden 22: Euph? clairster?

Feb 2009
    07/02 - Rombalds Stride 22: Euph, clairster, Tutu Much
    15/02 - Liversedge Half Marathon: Tutu Much
    15/02 - Bungay 20k: Freemers
    15/02 - Plymouth Hoe 10 mile : Night Nurse

March 2009
    01/03 - Meon Valley Plod 20: Chelsea Plodder
    07/03 - Surrey Rumble Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder
    08/03 - Wymondham 20: Freemers
    29/03 - Orion 15: Chelsea Plodder
    29/03 - Reading Half Marathon: Night Nurse

April 2009
    26/04 - Flora London Marathon: Nursey, Beders, Clairster (TBC), Littlest Stoker, Euphster, Sporty Badger, Tutu Much, sIMonO, JBSS, NickM, Freemers, Yaddi

May 2009
    10/05 Halstead Marathon - Pammie
    10/05 - Fred Whitton Challenge: Chelsea Plodder
    31/05 - 20km de Bruxelles: Chelsea Plodder

June 2009
    21/06 - Dave Lloyd Mega Ride: Chelsea Plodder
    28/06 - Dartmoor Classic Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder

July 2009
    12/07 - Iron(wo)Man Switzerland: Tutu Much
    20/07 - L'Etape du Tour: Chelsea Plodder - Now your showing off!!

• Evenin all

Reading but not posting of late.

Good running people. Not much to say from me. 10 miler yesterday in the rain lovely and then a mile tonight but a special mile Now

November
    02/11 - Guy Fawkes 10m: Ozy, clairster??
    02/11 - Hellrunner: Tutu
    02/11 - Billericay 10KM - Pammie
    08/11 - Glen Clova Half: Dogfish Dave, Little Stoker.
    09/11 - Stowmarket Scenic 7: Freemers
    09/11 - Lancaster Half Marathon: JBSS, Nick
    09/11 - Tavy 7 : Night Nurse
    16/11 - St Neots Half: BlueWombat
    16/11 - Thorpe Park 10k: Euph
    16/11 - Flatts Lane XC: JBSS
    16/11 - Epsom 10: Chelsea Plodder
    22/11 - Liverpool Leeds multiterrain canal towpath 19.5m World Championship: Euph
    23/11 - Abbey Dash 10k: Tutu Much
    30/11 - Thirsk 10m: Euph, Ozy, JBSS, Tutu Much (not sure yet)
    30/11 - City of Norwich Half Marathon: Freemers

December
    06/12 - Rudolph Romp 24: Euph?
    07/12 - Acklam XC: JBSS
    07/12 - stockport 10 (yippppeeee): clairster
    07/12- Nene valley 10 martin
    28/12 - Jolly Holly Jog 10K: JBSS

Jan 2009
    01/01 - Wymondham 10k: Freemers
    03/01 - Hebden 22: Euph? clairster?
    15/01 Folkingham 15 Martin (Maybe)

Feb 2009
    07/02 - Rombalds Stride 22: Euph, clairster, Tutu Much
    15/02 - Liversedge Half Marathon: Tutu Much
    15/02- Samford 30k Martin
    15/02 - Bungay 20k: Freemers
    15/02 - Plymouth Hoe 10 mile : Night Nurse

March 2009
    01/03 - Meon Valley Plod 20: Chelsea Plodder
    07/03 - Surrey Rumble Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder
    08/03 - Wymondham 20: Freemers
    29/03 - Orion 15: Chelsea Plodder
    29/03 - Reading Half Marathon: Night Nurse

April 2009
    26/04 - Flora London Marathon: Nursey, Beders, Clairster (TBC), Littlest Stoker, Euphster, Sporty Badger, Tutu Much, sIMonO, JBSS, NickM, Freemers, Yaddi

May 2009
    10/05 Halstead Marathon - Pammie
    10/05 - Fred Whitton Challenge: Chelsea Plodder
    31/05 - 20km de Bruxelles: Chelsea Plodder

June 2009
    21/06 - Dave Lloyd Mega Ride: Chelsea Plodder
    28/06 - Dartmoor Classic Cyclesportive: Chelsea Plodder

July 2009
    12/07 - Iron(wo)Man Switzerland: Tutu Much
    20/07 - L'Etape du Tour: Chelsea Plodder - Now your showing off!!

a member of the 1000 mile in a year groupimage

• That went wrong join message up 1000 mile club

• Jellybaby - its weird some of my best races have been when i've had a lack of sleep

Freemers- NYD 10km in Hyde Park some of my club do it normally and i think its around noon so can have a little lie in

DE- True though the 5km is social (laughs hysterically) try and do it each month) gives me a chance meet some forumites and some speedwork the 10km i wasn't going to do made a decision not to really do races if working the night before (LFOTM is an exception) unless its really local. But a few weeks back kind of got talked into it image But hopefully 2 months of albeit marathon training hope time should go done.

Though prediction tables don't mean a lot particularly for the marathon distance Daniels tsbles suggest a 48:48 Mmmmmmm

• nice back to back racing pammie, I've made a promise to myself not to do that cos of my age !! but well done you.

JBSS if we're looking to catch the 8.25 train from leeds would suggest meeting at my place about 7.20-7.30 then I can drive straight down and we'll have time to get tickets and a capacino without rushing too much. If Tutu's going to meet us at saltaire it'll be around 10.30 ish  and don't worry, vvvveeerrryyy ssslllooowww is the order of the day ! will be looking to keep HR down below 135 as much as possible so 9.30-10 min miling is probably the target pace...if you can run that slow of course ! I've learnt my lesson about building up endurance...slow is best !

damm , missed that great run from Paula, had family round for sunday lunch so couldn't sneak of to watch it, read the reports though !! and to think there's loads of armchair critics who have a go at her ??

went for an 8 miler yesterday and an undulating 6 miler today which funny enough felt a lot easier and i managed 15 sec a mile faster than yesterdays pancake flat run for the same HR of 133 ? A lovely day as well, cool but sunny and a lovely scenic route through country lanes ...definitely a smell the roses run.

was there anyone else racing on sunday ?

cheers

beders 

• Hello! A belated report from Hell Up North yesterday.....

What a race! There's no mile markers or indication of how far you've gone or how far is left the whole way, and all they tell you is it's between 10 and 12 miles, which I really did find quite tough. However the first half (ish!) wasn't actually that bad - a lot of up and down through the forest and one ankle-deep bog and a bit of heavy mud, but I think in the back of my mind I knew it was going to get a LOT worse!

Coming up to the first big bog was hilarious, you could hear people screaming for a good few minutes before you arrived and boy was that water cold! I lost count but I think there were about 5 proper bogs that were at least up to your waist... in each one I saw several people fall over and get soaked/covered in mud right up to their heads! And the smell.... image

Only bad, but actually really funny, thing that happened to me was at one point there was a really steep and slipperly descent into a bog... I was being so careful but then the guy behind me fell and took both my legs out as he went down, causing us to both slide down to the bottom on our bums!!! imageimage

The second half just got worse and worse... hill after hill just ruined me, and the last bog was really long and you had to go through it really slowly as there were big hidden logs under the water which you had to navigate over. Legs were completely numb by the time I got out and that combined with how much they were aching already just meant they refused to run! The last couple of miles were a real struggle between running/walking, even walking on some flat parts which felt so wrong. Every time we reached another hill I just wanted to cry or refuse to go up it!! They were of the short/steep variety which normally is fine but legs were just completely shot and even walking up them all was such a struggle.

I crossed the line in 2.12 which is horrendously slow for me (that's comparing my time with a load of club friends who I would normally beat!) but I'm just glad to have finished it and had a laugh at the same time. Somebody with a garmin said it was 11 miles... so 2.12 for 11 miles image Not great. But, as I say, really don't care about time, it was all about the experience.  I've been saying "never again" but the more I reflect the more I realise how much I loved it image Would definitely recommend it. 

Knee/tibia/whatever it is that's wrong is not too bad today, not as bad as after Cardiff. Just a bit swollen. Bone scan next Weds so we'll see what happens then.

Sorry for the over-long race report, I do like to waffle sometimes.......

How did Guy Fawkes people get on?

Martin - you are amazing to do 1000 miles so early on in the year, well done! I managed 1000 by December last year I think, but this year I have practically given up on logging miles it's so pathetic!

• Great race report Tutu sounds like fun.  Might have to give it a go sometime.  As for Guy Fawkes, I didn't do it.  I've not run more than 10 miles yet since hurting my back so I decided togive the race a miss.   Ended up at the Metro Centre all day looking at prams and other baby stuff instead.

Got out for 9.5 miles last night, really slow and I've not yet recovered my ability to run up hills as I had to stop a couple of times on the really steep one close to home.  I know that when I can run up it without stopping then I'm back to full fitness.  

It an early bonfire party tonight with fireworks etc  (No idea why it's done a day early in Bishop Auckland but it is) so it cross training in the gym at lunchtime with a couple of miles on the treadmill.

Ozy

• Morning..

Not posted for a few days..been busy..still managed to get running done though..

My grandson was christened at the weekend ..so a trip to Oxford for me..where my sons mother in law lives..she was doing the organising..there hasn't been a christening in our family EVER..neither of my sons..nor myself , bro or sis..or any of my nieces or nephews....just not into that..(sorry if anyone offended).
    So there he was, my grandson in a massive frilly dress..that had been passed down her family..(hope it hasnt scarred him for life )...still it was a nice weekend ..and an excuse for me to see them...I will next see them in 3 weeks when my daughter in law goes back to work..FULL TIME..baby only 5 months old..but she has a good job she cant afford to not go back to..I am looking after the little one for the first week..then my son has taken December off..then the little lad goes to nursery in the new year aw !!!

Beders looks like you are making a sensible return to regular mileage...with no ill effects of Abingdon..are you going to follow a schedule for FLM ?

Euph ..that is a pretty impressive time for that 18+..especially considering the terrain..you are way ahead ...and ready to tackle all the long runs leading up to London.....

Freemers.I have only just started watching the live shows for XFactor..I enjoy the auditions..then kind of go off it...but I must admit there are some very good female singers this year..although that young girl with the blond hair..Diana I think..I cant stand her voice...

Pammie..a nice time for that 10k ..and on little sleep....but when you think about it..how much sleep do we get the night before a marathon.?.very little..its the quality of the sleep the few nights before the night before that count...

LS nice running..when is Glen Clover ? Clova ..Cova ?

JBSS thats a fast 13 miler..mine are always nearer 9s..is it hilly where you live..

TUTU.I would say 2.12 for 11 miles of THAT is damn good going..I wouldnt have ven attempted it in the first place..brilliant report.. ...

10 hilly miles in 1.27 yesterday..nice easy 6 for me later today

Ozy have fun in that gymimage

• Quiet on here today.

NN - don't mind Diana, quite qurky, but my money's on Laura. And I love Austin on Strictly!

Quite a quick 6 miles this lunchtime, in around 45 minutes. Last fast effort before Sunday, I think. Will probably do a couple more gentle runs but trying to save some energy!

Euph, How was the life modelling last night? You didn't deny it so I assume that's what you were doing image

• Afternoon - long time no post, hope no-one minds me popping back in.

Just been very busy, and NOT with running! But watching the NY marathon on Sunday has spurred me on, and I'm determined to get back into some sort of shape. I've had a virus and missed 2 days of work last week, felt really dreadful, lethargic, sinus headaches and really miserable. It was a relief to wake up yesterday for the first time and feel somewhere near 100%

So last night was my first proper run for ages. I couldn;t face going out by myself, so instead set off with the club. It was a funny sort of run, I went with the fast group, cos it's the people I know and people promised not to run too fast. The distance was 7 miles and I averaged bang on 8 min/miles, but there were plenty of stops for me to catch my breath.

I am in for London but am probably just going to jog it rather than aim for a good time. I was planning on running Seville marathon, but I'm now tempted to run Valencia instead again. It's a week later and I know the city and marathon after doing it last year, so I know what's involved. It's a very low key marathon and is very flat.

I'm going to see how this month's training goes before committing to it. I also start a new job on Monday in leeds, which will involve shift work, so will have to see how running fits in.

Sorry for the lack of contribution, I am now goign to read back and see what you've all been running!

Nick

• Freemers - Good money, but blimageimagey cold....

Nick - hello stranger, glad your feeling better. new job going well? same field of something new?

• Hi Euph - same field but different office.

Did anyone do Guy fawkes on Sunday?

• Ozy - hadn't spotted it before, but you live in Bishop Auckland. I worked at the hospital there 20+ years ago, and met the physio who later became my wife. Happy days (sigh)!
  • Hi Everyone...

Hobble PJ had a full cast put on half way up his thigh yesterday, big improvement, much more mobile, back to school tomorrow, physio at clinic found him some better crutches too.

I haven't been out for a run since he did it, so may be able to catch up with group on Thursday now he can get round the house on his own.

• glad to hear mr PJ is on the mend (or hobble if you like)

Hi NickM, long time no hear, glad to see you haven't forgotton us !! good luck with the new job on monday. Sounds fast enough to me, do you fancy joining us for a 19.5mile keighley canal run on the 22nd ? very slow so pace should not be a problem !

another slow 6 miler for me along the river and back at lunchtime, just under 10 min miling but a bit harder going through the mud ..good fun though.

Hi NN, no schedule as yet, just looking to build up the mileage again before slotting in some speed work perhaps in the new year. On target for 2000 miles this year, a new record !! that's if my legs hold out.

better go, off to pick the missus up from a meal out with the girls ...more brownie points in the bag for me to spend running !!

cheers

beders

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Go on then, I'll slip one across the face of the goal for LS to tap in after his dark morning jaunt through Angus....

Unlesss....

There's another striker....

Just ready to poach...?

SB

•  Early bird catches the TOTP AGAIN...you lucky lot are all in bed..I will be thinking of you all bleary eyed off to work in the morning...as I am going home to bed...image

Talking of the NY marathon..a freind if mine (female)completed it in 3.32....not bad for someone..who was doing it just for the experience...

Nick Leeds..?..thats a long way from the job you applied for down this way in Taunton...good luck with that..

Mr puffy..glad to hear your son is getting around a bit better now....

• Nursey, I was laughing at your thinly veiled digs at the 'other Granny' ! I was raised a catholic, but feel the most important thing is that my kids are good kids, not that they visit a building every week and chant. If there is a big man with a white beard, I hope we'll still get in ! Your grandson will love you for not objecting more strongly against his frilly frock !

8.34 miles today at a gentle 8.04 pace, to conserve energy for Saturday.

LS