Cold is goooood

Comments

• No such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes.
  • Wet feet I have yet to avoid by wearing the right clothes
  • I prefer to run in the cold weather because it means I don't get loads of sweat running in to my eyes.
  • Yesterday - my first 'off road' run in ages - loved it. Finally dry enough (after the wet summer) to run in the woods.

The evenings are really drawing in now, so it's going to be running in the dark from now on (apart from the sunday am run). I agree with Dual Heritage - my other half thinks the dark, temperatures below 10 degrees, a slight breeze or drizzle are reasons not to run - nevermind he spent 15 years playing rugby in all sorts of weather!

Back on subject - prefer running in Sept / Oct and early spring - love temperatures between 12 - 15 degrees. If it's too cold it takes ages to warm up, and any warmer than say 17 degrees and I find it a bit too hot to run fast / for too long.

That said, my best run this year was last Easter when there was light snow in parts of uk - ran along Hastings prom just as the sun was starting to set and the snow flakes were falling.

• Much prefer winter running and as many have said seem to run much faster on the dark cold winter nights ...don't go along with this theory that winter running is good base training for good summer times ...seems to be the other way round for me ...struggle through the hot summer runs so that I feel the benefit on the cold winter runs.
  • I love winter running and fleece-lined tights and gloves make morning runs at 5.45 so much more bearable.

On the running safety for women, if I am running alone, I always take some sort of ID with me in case I am injured or in an accident.  I also wear a hi-viz vest and have a light on the back of my rucksack for running in the early mornings/evenings as I had a few close shaves last year with cyclists on the pavements of London which can also be used as cycle lanes. 

• Not to mention at least a tenner for a taxi home
  • Runner-bean, I couldn't have put it better myself. One of my favourite things about running is the chance to get outside and really appreciate my surroundings and the changing seasons.

I also like running in cold weather. If it's warm in summer I find that I just get too hot and bothered, whereas I'm always lovely and toasty when I go out in my gloves when it's cold. At this time of year there are some lovely sights too; the colours of the leaves on the trees at the moment are stunning.

• Actually the only bad weather for running is when you can't stay on your feet. As long as there is variety I am happy.
  • It has never been too cold for me, yet, to go running. The coldest has been -14... imageit's just a matter of wearing the right thing. Ice is the thing that stops me.
  • Northern lights - I now have the Super Furry Animals song in my head thanks to your user name - I haven't heard it in ages, so thanks image
  • Kosie Jelly wrote (see)
    Northern lights - I now have the Super Furry Animals song in my head thanks to your user name - I haven't heard it in ages, so thanks image

you'll want something different for the weekend.

Looking forward to heading out at lunchtime, weather looks perfect here.

• I prefer running in this cold weather! I sweat WAY too much in the summer. Always stick to shorts and t-shirt too. None of this tights malarky! The only things that get cold are my hands so may have to invest in some gloves.
  • id rather run when its cold than when its warm, no matter what the weather is i need to run in shorts, i just feel better when im cold.

• Running in the cold is great until you stop and then the sweat pours and pours image but it is great running now it is cooler.
  • Had a wonderful 5-mile run last night.
    Perfect cold, dark evening with just a little breeze. Moon was peeking out from wispy clouds.

Had on my tights, t-shirt with reflective base layer on top and gloves, so was lovely and warm.

Much prefer it to summer evening running. Summer mornings are ok though – as long as the heat hasn't built up.
  • Kosie Jelly wrote (see)
    Northern lights - I now have the Super Furry Animals song in my head thanks to your user name - I haven't heard it in ages, so thanks image
    You're welcome!  Actually I had the real thing, Aurora Borealis, in mind and not the Super Furry Animals image
  • You lot must be mad. 

I'll soon be running in sub zero temperatures, max temp tomorrow is -3 and I think -15C was the lowest I ran in last year.  Three layers top and bottom with your sweat freezing on the inside of the windproof outer jacket, wearing icebugs or spiked overshoes because of the ice.  No thanks I'd swap it any day for the 30+ degrees I used to run in.

Saying that I still think Spring / Autumn in the UK is about the best temperature for running.

• I went for a run last year and it started snowing!  What a lovely feeling having snowflakes melt and tickle my nose!  A surreal and memorable experience!  I really loved it!  Much better than sweating it out in the midday sun, which I try to avoid at all costs!
  • Winter's night running for me anyday (or night !)
  • Running is the only thing that gets me through thw winter without going mad..I hate the dark mornings and nights...and the cold...unless I am running.. all my pbs have been set while freeeezzzzzzing !!!!
  • I'm determined to carry on running through this winter for the 1st time, as I usually give up about now. Can anyone tell me what sort of gloves to wear as the ones I have been wearing make my hands too hot within about 15 minutes? And why do people wear hats doesn't it make your head too hot unless follicularly challenged?
  • as a follicularly challenged personimage I'd have to say it's better as it traps the hot air closer to your head, maybe image
  • half cockney wrote (see)
    Can anyone tell me what sort of gloves to wear as the ones I have been wearing make my hands too hot within about 15 minutes? And why do people wear hats doesn't it make your head too hot unless follicularly challenged?
    I take my gloves off when my hands get too hot - I either hold them in the other hand or stuff them in my pockets. If it is really windy, I'll have to put them on again. Why a hat? My ears and forehead get cold. And nothing could make me wear a headband, I look ridiculous with one image - not that a beanie suits anyone.
  • Wear a headband, grow a moustache and you could get into a tv advert...
  • I really agree, I love running in the cold weather, and I don't mind the rain either. Makes me feel so much more energised. Summer running is dire, I am not a hot weather person at all. (Good thing I live in England...) xx
  • Temperature is not really an issue for me. Hot, cold, warm - it's all good.

The one thing I can't stand is WIND. Rain is fine and even refreshing - it is the wind I can't stand, especially that energy sapping feeling of running into the teeth of it.image

• I agree - wind is the worst!!! I used to be a fair-weather runner and would never have dreamed of running after dark but I joined a friendly running club and that helps me keep motivated over the winter months and safe after dark.

• I don't mind the windy weather as it make4s me laugh when I'm being blown all over the place and see people looking at me in a bemused fashion!!  image

I've always been a fair weather runner but now that I've joined a club I've started to get used to wet/damp weather running and it's not too bad at all. Hopefully it will mean I keep my running going through the winter months.