Cold is goooood

13»

Comments

• Wind's alright if it's blowing the right way, but sod's law it's always a head wind no matter which direction I go. Never quite worked out how that works. Twas a bit too warm for running for me today image
  • im enjoying the runs much more in the cold and i get excited when it rains! icy roads are a pain so if it gets bad i run around the rugby pitch near my house image

• I've just gotten over my virus, which stopped me from running for two weeks.  image  Now I'm back though and am enjoying the cold air (perhaps the lay-off has done me some good as those niggling pains seem to have all but disappeared image)

I like the cold, but also like the warm as well.  I just like to run.  image

• I'm reluctant to run in the dark - what can I do?

Try to run in your lunch breaks.

What fcuking luch breaks!? when you get a fixed 30mins slot its nigh on impossible to get out and eat too grrrr

get up in the dark go home in the dark ..no wonder im so fcuking grumpy ..i hate dark winter days image

• Are you sure that you don't like running in the dark....image
  • I love running in the winter. I get hayfever in the summer and find that along with the heat and sun it's just too much. I have a lot more energy in the autumn and winter and have some really good runs.

I've just recently got into trail and multi terrain running so I'm getting very muddy and wet and loving it!

• Hayfever relents when I get out and run. Strange - it strikes me down totally from June to August - puffy, swollen and itchy eyes, streaming nose - all the symptoms. Except when I run - it disappears completely.
  • Funny you should say that Simpster - it does for me too but it's absolute hell when I stop.
  • Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭
    Winter running is great - I often wonder what dog walkers and other people who are out but wrapped up to the eyeballs think as you pass them.  I was out tonight in shorts and a L/S merino top which was perfect for me.  Tights, gloves and a headband if it's really cold but I'll have taken the gloves and headband off within 15 minutes as I'll be cooking!
  • Hi Ladybee

I am so with you on that. I much prefer to run in the colder weather, the first 10 minutes are the hardest for me but after that I just feel great, I feel warm inside yet but the nice cold weather keeps you fresh for running.

Kelly image

• My best run ever was in a complete snow storm. There seemed to be a blizzard blowing in my face the whole way - but it was amazing!!!image

• Might be like that tomorrow morning as running a  5 mile race along the beach   Brrrr!!!

image   Loving it

• Race this afternoon and it looks lovely from indoors but too bloomin' cold to be out in
  • I did just over 18 miles earlier (5:30am start) and it was lovely out there in my shorts and base layer image
    Takes me up to a mile before I adapt fully to freezing temperatures.  After that, I don't notice the cold and my legs never ever get cold.

Love the looks people give when they are there in their coats, gloves, scarves etc and look like they're freezing to death.

• Scott S wrote (see)

Love the looks people give when they are there in their coats, gloves, scarves etc and look like they're freezing to death.

I've started to see a few of those odd faces looking at me image

Yesterday i did miss the first cold weather run because the hailstone + wind was so bad i couldnt walk let alone run in in, trying to make up for it today image should be fun because it's freezing again...

• brr! it was cold out this morning! had my trackie bottoms on, a few layers on my body and a wooly hat. the only bits of me that was cold was my face and my hands. my face was numb after 5mins!

it was a decent run after i got into my rythm though.

i hate running in wind or rain!

• i've been loitering here  for some time and i just want to say you're all BARKING BONKERS!!

But really i'm just jealous. i''ve always wanted to be one of those who would tough it out whatever the weather.

So today, armed with multiple layers of various synthetics, i thought i'd give it a go. And i've just made it back in one piece!! It wasn't nearly as bad as i feared. With my ears and hands wrapped up i was totally fine after 2mins. Whoop whoo! i'm so proud of myself!

Chris D, to stop your face freezing over, try putting some vasaline or lip balm on your cheeks and nose. Really stops the cold from hurting so much.

• McBoodMcBood ✭✭✭

I agree with those who've said what must other people think when they're wrapped up like an eskimo and you run past in your shorts. It can be hard getting out there when it's extra cold but you know as soon as you get moving you'll warm up.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    running in crunchie snow is the absolute best- partly because it doesn't happen very often.
  • Didn't realise how cold it was yesterday til I got outside in a pair of shorts and a sleeveless top! Still, you warm up in seconds (well minutes).

This morning I was more prepared (didn't wear shorts!) but I could literally feel my lips going blue.

Chris D is right "i hate running in wind or rain!"

• I had the most delightful run in powdery snow last weekend. Cycling to work in the dark through the slush and rain on the monday was less good. When I lived in Canada I invested in serious thermal underwear to protect those delicate parts! They even had special thermal running underwear - great stuff.
  • Runner Bean, that is a lovely and poetic paragraph on seasonal running and it should be posted on every sweaty gym's door!!

Here's to al the Frosty the Snowrunners!

• because we were all w0men 0nce haha!!
  • Just read through this whole thread, quite a reminder of what we got coming up soon.
  • I recently ran a half marathon and the heavy rain halfway through meant I got seriously cold - especially around my hips. I was worried my muscles would seize up, but managed to make it through. Layers etc didn't make any difference, not once the ice-cold rain soaked everything! 

• LadyBee I'm with ya...

I love running in this cold weather.  Not so sure about the impending snowfall if it's as bad as last year, that could prove interesting! ;o) 

• I also love running in the cold, especially when its crisp and clear image

Only problem is now...... it is snowy/icy! Doubt i'll be getting a PB if i'm on my bum!

I remember running whilst it was snowing ans very windy last year it was burning my face but still carried on and felt great after! got some funny looks but really felt liked i'd acheived something for the rest of the day. (probably was a bad idea on the windy roads in the brecon beacons tho!)

• I actually race best when it is raining.  I mean proper raining and not that "Oohh...a light sprinking of water...how refreshing" type of rain.  My 2 best half marathon times were done in pouring rain (and fine...a nice flat course...stop judging me).  Although weirdly I cant train in the rain.  Stupid head confuses me. 

I trained in the snow last year on freshly gritted roads at 2am as the paths were so bad.  I loved that.  Not another soul in sight....except police cars patrolling who kept stopping me.  But you cant really complain at that.  In their eyes, why would someone be running along the road at that time in the morning!  The fact I wouldnt have known if one of my ears had fallen off though...that would have been annoying going back to try and find it.

• Give me the cold any day, love it!
  • I'd just like to say that I still like running in the cold just as much as I did when I started this thread!