I keep collapsing

Comments

• Yes I second that comment re updates.  Thank you and it's lovely to hear all your tales
  • thirded re updates

er, dis someone mention gin?

:0

• you are helping me keep a certain issue in perspective BTW doug

thanks

• I googled "walking in the countryside" because I was curious about the song............the search engine took me straight to "The Guardian" Dating website.......

not quite what i was after....

now where is that gin?

• There'll be nought about dat song on de Google nor any place else, mate!!! That your googling took you to the Guardian proves that there is a law of completely unintended, totally antithetical responses!!!!! 
  • oooooooooh

passes gin

• HI Doug - I've been lurking here for a long time. You are a great inspiration to many of us. I start training for my first marathon in Jan, and when it gets hard, I can put it all in perspective by thinking of you.

Take care

xx
  • ...Hi Doug.. so much to read.. and so many good friends...if I don't make it to Rome be sure I will be running for you somewhere...

Alex

• Hi Doug

I have followed your log almost from the beginning. Have finally got around to posting myself. I looked at it initially as I had collapsed a number of times also - fortunately turned out too be nothing more than Vagus Syconpe (i have low BP, and collapsed whe  got emotionally het up). That was the good news, unfortunatley shortly afterwards my wife (41 yrs) was diagnosed with high grade breast cancer in Jan. 08. 11/12 lymph nodes involved. This year she has been through her surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc. Is now having Herceptin every 3 weeks toghether with Tamoxifen. Not once during this horrible regime has she complained. I fund her inspirational as well as yourself. During her chemotherapy she also managed to cheer me on (together with our 2 daughters -12/9) at FLM this year where I posted a PB of 2.55 - a very emotional experience for me. Also did Berlin this Autumn, where she came with me to watch etc. Went round in 3hr, but wanted to enjoy more-so.

Over the last couple of weeks she has been experiencing upper abdomial pain etc and I really thought she must have developed Liver secondaries (we are both medical people) but her CT scan on Tuesday was all-clear. What a relief.  I have never been so frightened in my life. I cannot imagine her not being around, particularly for my 2 beautiful daughters.

I find it very difficult as the chances are it will probably return sometime in the future. The un-certainty of it all is very difficult.  Being medical people does not appear to help a great deal asfor me I am working in a hospital environment etc. I am still running 4/5 days each week - only during lunchbreaks at work. Really feel I need to give some time back to the family as my wife has always supported me during training/races etc.

I could go on all night, but hope you have a great xmas/new year.

Take care

• Doug,

Another lurker crawling out of the closet. Been around since the onset and overawed by all you have been through so far.  So sorry you are in the Brompton again, but it's an excellent hospital.  I'm training for my second half-marathon and in the run-up to Christmas with all that entails and the somewhat murky weather it  has been tough of late dragging myself out.  On those occasions I think of you and run them for you, so I hope you enjoyed the very wet and squelchy 8 miles on Saturday and the steady 4 miles along the Thames tow path yesterday.  At one point I had to stop to allow a heron to stroll across the path and onto the water. It was a beautiful sight and one of the privileges that running allows.  Intervals tomorrow, hope you are home soon.

FL

• On my last post, the word 'responses' should be 'consequences'. Anyone got any views on Chaos Theory - you know, whereby a butterfly fluttering in China will contribute towards a hurricane developing in, say, Woking?

Very tough for Douglas to have to return to hospital. He'll miss this blog. But, the blog must go on, as the saying (almost) goes.

We're in a state of 'hover' just possibly, but the Theory of Chaos and the Law of Unintended Consequences determine that even a light hovering will have its effect.

Wind's got up, here in Ireland. Howling. Great sound. Howling wind, howling wolves.

Storms!

Billy.

• Morning

Andrew, thatnk you for sharing your story, and i am so glad your wife is ok now

Chaos theory

it scares me to think about it in some ways

Small things do make a difference though

we all can make a difference to the world in our own way

• Morning,

(((Doug))), I hope that you're soon feeling stronger again.

((Andrew and family)))

Billy, I love the sound of the howling wind, too, specially when I'm all cosy inside.

• I believe in the Chaos Theory if that is what you mean......but only partially ?   If I'm right Chaos Theory says that every thing is fully determined because of original design and a flaw develops ?

(my workplace and society currently....)

I think it's true for a large study  (cohort) but within that  a small detail bucks the trend  by reacting and changing .....hmmmm but I guess you could say that is due to original design of the individuals....

er pass

Morning Douglas and best wishes  - hope you slept well and are peaceful and happy

• I hate being in bed listening to a storm....it frightens me ......outside experiencing it I'd be much happier..

Andrew  - best wishes and I agree re the medical background - it's not good to know too much sometimes which I think Douglas has alluded to in the past

• Walktalk Kate,

Somehow can't see the Grauniad supporting HM Armed Forces - particularly during the Cold War era ! 

Russkies wouldn't have needed direction finders  or maps - Billy's vocals would have been enough. Fond memories,Billy.

• Talking of howling wolves Billy I think it might make Douglas chuckle and smile if I remind him of the time we were having an enjoyable supper at the two tiered Kings Road Jam Restaurant in Chelsea!

Seated upstairs and chatting away to Douglas suddenly he lifted his head upwards and gave out a very loud HOOOWL!!.. As anyone who's reading this can imagine there was silence in the Kings Road Jam for a moment  and a voice from downstairs said .............................................' Are you alright up there'?!!!!

Dougal is always such good fun to be with - keep smiling Doggo

Heaps of Love Petal xxxxxx

• Well, I suspected that Doug was barking, but I didn't relise he was howling too!
  •   Douglas went back into the Brompton yesterday morning with chest pains and has just had his lungs drained for the second time. So hopefully he knows the score this time and will be aliviated again. I am an 'OLD ' friend of his who is a Ludite ( which I am sure you all know is the opposite of a Tecky ). I've only just found out what that means as well !! So I want to congratulate HIM that I have now achieved my first blog and possibly not my last as I will keep you posted as I am hoping to visit him later on today.
  • PLease give him our love, Polly.
  • Welcome on board Polly, and look forward to your report - and to yours Ed when you see him tomorrow,  the rest of us wait to get news of when visiting can continue.

Blackett ??  - as in Beechie, Sarah, Jamie etc - or a different gang ??

• A message on Douglas's behalf from his home-he requests no visitors at present as is heavily sedated and not up to seeing people or talking on the telephone .All messages will be printed out and read to him as it brings him great comfort . He is very weak.

Will update when any further bulletins.

• This e mail Christmas card arrived from Mauritania - not sure when the Mauritanians ever saw snow or sung in English but the singing hasn't got Billy's puissance but then the moves are better than Billy's - sorry Billy !

Anyway - enjoy and  and early Happy Christmas to one and all - especially Douglas

<a href="http://aroundmd.com/whitechristmas/" title="http://aroundmd.com/whitechristmas/">http://aroundmd.com/whitechristmas/</a&gt;

• Douglas - you're having such an effect ..... so many friends ........ changing their behaviour, habits and motivations because of you. I'm thinking you are the butterfly that William speaks of. Have you always been like this ?
  • Thinking of you Doug, I hope that you're comfortable.

Thank you for the updates all, Doug is in our thoughts a lot and it's good to know that we'll be kept updated.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • As ever, thinking of you Doug, thanks to those who keep us updated.

• Thinking of you Doug, thank you for keeping in touch.

I grew up a writer not a fighter but can think of nothing better than William's butterfly...

• Douglas, Thinking of you  too
  • Seen Billy'slatest on the other site, will txt tmr Dougal. hope you're comfortable (or more or less)

Squire

(Much love from Squireen too)     -   also have been in touch with Cazenove and Einie this evening.

• Douglas very poorly indeed at present-will take turns  to sit with him so he is not alone......

More later