9 miler

Hi all, after much debate on my behalf, i decided to up my mileage this morning and have just come back from a 9 miler, i ran out of water after 6.5 miles and was overheating , nonetheless i decided to press on and completed my task in 1hr 27mins. Please, please take on lots of water, unlike me i only had 80ml or so in my bottle, and had that tell tale white slime around my lips, felt fine, breathing excellent, but very fatigued, i have only be running 2 miles a day with a break on weds only, think its walking 16 miles a week as well that has enabled me to up my mileage.

Grahame

Comments

• I wouldn't generally take water on a 9 miler particularly this time of year. I suspect the (dramatic) increase in your mileage may well have something to do with your problems.
  • Depending on the weather, I wouldn't need water for less than a HM distance. But each to their own image
    Going from 2 miles to 9 miles isn't normally recommended....
  • Agree with both posts above especially MM's comment on the jump from 2 to 9 miles!  That can lead you into injury territory GMc!  Hopefully, no damage done though image.  On your hydration strategy I also agree with the above - I generally don't need water unless I go over half M distance (though I usually carry some if its 10 miles +) - make sure you're really well hydrated before you set out and you should notice a difference.  Hope you're planning a rest day tomorrow!!
  • Ran out of water after 6.5 miles? are you kidding?
  • Richard 123 wrote (see)
    I wouldn't generally take water on a 9 miler particularly this time of year. I suspect the (dramatic) increase in your mileage may well have something to do with your problems.

Think Richard 123 is right. Also, as you increase your mileage on a regular basis your hydration management will adapt, at the moment its based on 2 mile runs which won't require much, while running longer distances will require more hydration pre-run.

Well done though on completing the run.

• Thanks for the advice, its greatly appreciated

G

• Another vote for water not being the issue, it was the increase in mileage.  Impressed you completed your run but going from 2 to 9 miles is pretty close to going from 0 to 9 miles.  You may pay for it over the next few days so take it easy.  Far better to have increased your normal distance incrementally but at least you know that 9 miles is a doddle and not far at all.