Lucozade Sport Super Six: Sue C (3:15)

Introducing the second member of our Lucozade Sport Super Six… Sue (aka Sue C).

After being disappointed with her pace judgement at last year’s Flora London Marathon (3:30), Sue’s more determined than ever to run a sub-3:15 marathon next year.

Sue will be using our sub-3:15 Garmin-ready schedule (devised by former London Marathon winner Mike Gratton) as a basis for her training and will be mentored by Liz Yelling directly on this thread (starting January 5).

She’ll be posting her training progress on a regular basis, and feedback the fuel and hydration advice given to her by the team at Lucozade Sport so make sure you check back regularly to find out how she gets on.

You can read more about Sue's running background and goals by clicking on the article link at the top of the thread.

Good luck Sue!

Comments

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Yay!  Congratulations Sue.

All the very, very best for the next 18 weeks.  It's going to be fun!

• Congrats Sue!

As a former winner of this prize (Great North Run) I know how great the support and team are and helped me push on to the next level (not a great level - just the next one I should point out!). I'll be cheering you on!! 

All the best for the new year and your training! *shiver* image

• Woo hoo!

Couldn't be more deserved and I can't wait to see the results and hear about the training.

• Hail Hail

Congratulation SueC.  But from now on, given the fact that you have some top class coaches, and a load of free stuff, I'm going to start charging you for shoe advice!  Or I'll have your 405 on April 27th instead.  Your choice!

• Thankyou everyone. How exciting!

RunningBhoy - but I can at least ask you about shoe colours and other important stuff, I didn't dare ask the Adidas guy any of that ,I just tried to look extremely knowledgable and serious image

Njord - ta, how's the training going your end?

Saintjason - you doing FLM? Thankyou anyway.

• Congrats Sue, look fwd to (continuing to) learn from you over on sub 3.15. Top stuff being coached by a real Olympian (although I've always liked Liz's sis-in-law - one gutsy runner!)
    Ttfn
    Jezza
  • Great news Sue!

Best of luck with your sub 3.15 quest.

I'll be watching avidly.

Mark.

• Congratulations, Sue! Having chatted to you on the Hard Training Thread last year, I'm sure you'll more than meet your goal.  Looking forward to following the thread with interest, and hope that your  determination and effervescent enthusiasm will get me out of the door during the cold January evenings to come, as your goals are similar to mine.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Great news Sue, we'll all be rooting for you. Plus you will have all those whippets at Rothwell to take you out of your comfort zone!

I knew this would flush Mr Harris out, Hi Mark - make sure there's no slacking from the lady {O:
  • Will do Wardi !

Maybe she needs to start training with Carmen Mirandas hubby ??

• Well done Sue C. You deserve to go and nail that 3:15. In fact, I'm going to bet that you annihilate it. Here's my proposal. Aim to do the best you can and then see what your training and prep races produce.

Wardi watch your back mate: although I'm tipping you for a 4 minute PB and giving me a pasting.

• NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Sue - my training has been deliberately unstructured since the Abingdon marathon in October.  Needed a break from marathon schedules.  Cue lots of social running and lots of club racing including cross-country which I now love and hate in equally large measures.  Pfitzinger and Douglas 18 week plan started today for FLM (one day I'll try something different!).  And I've started as I mean to go on by tinkering with the schedule and got this week's LSR out of the way while the weather was good.

Don't be doing too much 'knowledgable and serious' stuff mind, or we'll send DFC over!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Nice one SueC - I watched your video*, and was pleased to hear you talking about throwing Kitchen Sinks.

Just make sure that you keep getting all the key phrases in, your coach will need to learn about "Daley Moments", "PJs", "Alfrescos", "scoobies" and when you should and shouldnt be getting your "NADS" out. 

* you're a bit of a hot chick too - you didnt tell us that.

• joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭

Congratulations!

As a 3:30 hopeful I'll be watching from afar but hoping for inspiration. Looks like you've a really memorable time ahead, and thanks for being prepared to share it with usimage.

• Njord - as long as he doesn't bring the brown tights then he is welcome any time! I ran my first XC race on Saturday btw, loved it but I can see what you mean about equally hating it too! Was pleased with first lady home for our club and 12th lady overall, needed a confidence boost/decent no pressure race. DFC won the race outright, don't think he has mentioned that on the sub3. All the best for FLM!

TR - oh s*d off! You missed 'keep on keeping on'image

Blisters - the sub 3.15 seems to have been picked up on but I prefer your plan and was hoping to do just exactly what you imply - the best I can, the result will take care of itself.

mark - thanks for that and for your vote, as stated above not sure about the sub 3.15 but looking forward to the experience ahead immensely anyway. I'll stick to training with Carmen rather than her other half thanks!

Wardi - thanks for your continued support, no doubt our paths will cross oop north as training progresses.

Susie - Good to hear from you! Wondered what happened to you. Did you do FLM08 (or other marathon) Hope you are ok - look forward to sharing the training.

Jezza - good luck for the sub3image

• Oops - hi joddly and good luck. Don't watch from afar, join in the party - the Lucozade is goodimage

• Hi Sue

I'm another previous Super Sixer and an FLM virgin for 2009. Having never run the distance I'm hoping for sub 3.30, although my current PBs at other distances indicate I could go faster (maybe on the second one....)

I'm looking forward to reading your training blog and hoping all six of you will keep me inspired along the way.

• hi fellow super 6

all the best sue

c u soon

nigel

• Speedy Goth - Hi, yes i think that you are a bit faster than me over the shorter distances. I seem to have the basic speed and the endurance, it's the bit in the middle that needs quite some work. Why aim for 3.30 when you could do faster, although it's tricky for anyone to make a realistic time prediction at this stage. I found the question really hard to answer when RW asked me what they should put my time goal as, I didn't want to put pressure on myself to achieve something unrealistic but I wanted to push myself too - I will settle for the best I can on the day.

The day in London meeting the team was fantastic, it was great to meet the other 'Super Six' members, the coaches, RW people, Garmin people, Adidas guys etc! We have been given a wonderful opportunity and hopefully will all do our best to inspire others and achieve our goals.

Although Liz isn't on line as yet I must thank her already as she is in regular contact with Meg and myself, checking on our progress and ensuring that we are in the best possible shape to begin marathon training in January.

For the last two marathons I have trained for I have used December to build a base and so have run lots of steady miles. Liz has advised that we should be wary of doing this and hold back from running over 13/15 miles or 1 hour 45 minutes at this stage ensure we are fresh and ready for Janaury 5th. So that is something different already to consider.

Liz has also advised to have one week of rest pre marathon training where no run is more than a three mile easy jog. I chose this Xmas week to do this as my training time is limited anyway. The lack of miles I am currently doing feels a bit strange but I am happy to be told what to do and I do feel extremely fresh and enthusiastic to train, my steady run training times have been 10/15 secs per mile faster for all my runs over the last two week too which is reassuring.

Anyway, an easy jog for me tonight then, which is fine as I did my first XC race on Saturday and 14 miles off road on Sunday and my legs are plod-happy anyway.

Happy running folks.

ps - none meant and I am sure non taken TRimage

• Couldn't have happened to a nicer person! (can I have my fiver now please?)

Well done. Looking forward to having one of "our" gang being professionally made over.

We'll need to have a mini pre-Brass Monkey pow wow. A nice speedy train, led by Wardi (with whom I couldn't keep up last time!), and CG and others to boot.

Having looked at SpeedyGoth's GnR progress I think you are both pretty evenly matched. You obviously have the edge on experience, so it might be wise for her to be thinking of a 3:20 to 3:30 as a first marathon in spite of her fresh fast half marathon legs.
  • You guys have more faith in me than I have! I think I'm basing my estimated time on the experience of my club mates' first marathons. Even girls who are faster than me usually have only run times of 3.3x or even 3.4x. Plus there are the crowds to contend with and the fact that I'm just naturally better at shorter distances. Either way, I'm going to give it my best shot and hopefully following Sue's training will help me with that!

I'm glad you mentioned Sue that we should be having a bit of a rest right now, because I soooo need it. December has been crazy. I'm over-raced and over-stressed and totally in need of a break. My dismal performance in Sunday's 10k just proving that I'm run down and in need of a battery recharge. I too am taking this week easy. Yesterday I just did a Body Pump class (with the lightest weights I could get away with!) and today I'll go out for a slow plod of maybe 4 or 5 miles.

Will you be doing any warm up races as part of your package Sue? We did the Great Yorkshire Run in the run up to the GNR, which was our first get together. It was so nice to all go to a race together and cheer eachother on. I'm planning a number of warm up races (some as targets, some as training runs). In fact, I might just spend today working on my schedule image.

• Cue Speed Goth entering about a gazillion races by the end of the day!! lol I've only got some cross country for the new year incl the nationals and the northerns but I'm running Wilmslow when I hope to beat that GNR time!
  • I might have to hold back on entering those races. I just checked my account and the cheque I sent for my club place has not been cashed, so I tracked the letter with Royal Mail and they have no information on it. I posted it first class recorded on the 13th. I think my club place is lost image.
  • I'm pretty sure Sue is doing the Brass Monkey half marathon in January. If you're not already in, you've no chance of entry though.

• I'm pretty sure Sue is doing the Brass Monkey half marathon in January. If you're not already in, you've no chance of entry though.

• A well kept secret indeed, well done. Really pleased for you and looking forward to following your progress. Get christmas out of the way then bring on that sub 3.15! I have no doubt it is well within your capabilities, enjoy the journey. Nice to know  (well sort of) someone famous.

• EPS - fiver in the post but will politely decline the 'train' offer thanks, you and Wardi are far far too fast for me. You are going to obliterate your pb though all being well.

Speedy - I had a half pb of 1.39 something when I did 3.32 at Lochaber so it's easily doable, I had only been training for 6 months or so then. In fact, I am more proud of that (slower) time than last year because it was the absolute best I could do on the day, not sure I can say that about FLM08 for various reasons.

At least you are recognising that you need a break, many of us at some point plough on with training and then get ill/injured/overtrained etc. I am sure a week of easy stuff will see you right.

We had loads of pre FLM races to choose from, EPS is right in that I am doing the Brass Monkey in January (that's a local one) and I have the Snake Lane 10 in February plus XC races as 'my own' races. From the package offered I have chosen the Bath and Reading Half Marathons, both in March. There are a couple of 'workshops' to fit in too (if my marriage will allow that much time away!)

I am a really nervous tense racer who lets that affect her performance so Liz  has said not to be afraid to race often and we can tag on miles where needed so I am doing more than I normally would. One she has councilled against that I know the other coaches has no problem with is the Kingston breakfast Run early April but I also think that's far too close to M day for my own comfort. Interesting that there are different approaches though.

I am not sure what the others are doing race wise but there have been a lot of emails between ourselves which has been nice, Wotsit has been fit to burst with the anticipation!

Must take the kids for haircuts now (made them walk miles this morning in anticipation of lots of days with no exercise and centrally heated houses etc.) Will post on sub 3.15 and further in a bit when I get back.

• I'm doing Reading too, we could have a race image. Also planning on Ashby 20 in March and Stamford Striders 30k in February but both will be done at GMP. I also have a few cross countries to squeeze in. I'm hoping to do a bit less racing and a bit more training than usual, but I bet I can't resist when it comes down to it!