Arise Sir Chris Hoy.

A thoroughly justified award or just cheapening the awards system.

Discuss.

Comments

• I'm not undecided. I think it's ridiculous.
  • Who? I think Hoy's mother's MBE was possibly more deserved
  • Is this serious??

They'll be routinely knighting the winner of "Celebrity Big Brother" next...
  • Sorry....I read the title as Arse Sir Chris Hoy.....lol image

• The whole honours system is anachronistic. But if the state is going to hand out gongs, it should do so to unsung heroes who do good things for many years. Not to retired Civil Servants and politicians as perks of the job, and not to high-profile entertainment and sports figures who already have plenty of reward and recognition (unless they also happen to do lots of behind-the-scenes charidee and other good works, but then for a lifetime's achievements).

Much as I admire Hoy and Adlington and Hamilton etc, they have recognition and adulation enough already. The honours system should not be dictated by who is flavour of the month.

The only exception I'd make in all this is Ellie Simmons, who imho is thoroughly deserving.

• There was an interview with Terry Pratchet on R4 - as ever, he came across very well.

I am excited as my friend had been made a dame. She has certainly worked very hard to get where she is.

• What makes Ellie Simmons more deserving is her youth and the paralympic factor, imho.
  • The whole lousy system is an integral part of the patronage process which props up the class system in this country.

Awards to sport stars and entertainment personalities are a sop to the proles, who watch the pretty colours while the system goes on grinding out "honours" to civil service time servers, political placemen and political party "contributors".

You'll probably gather I'm not a fan.

• http://www.televisionheaven.co.uk/citizen1.jpg

Oh, and power to the people!

• And why won't RW put my new avatar on?
  • Because the mafia and the british class system, which jointly control the internet, won't let them, of course!
  • Those mafia-shagging toffs!
  • I think getting a honor in a nice thingimage but for riding a glorified trade bike! your joking!
  • Without wanting to 'diss' anybody who has been given a honour in the past or presently.

Since the end of the empire and such aren't the awards a little pointless?

Guess what I'm saying is who cares who they give the awards too, if it gives the recipients and others some joy then hey ho, good luck to them, people get more for doing less in life.

Also as for awards given to people who are in the 'gang' a quick story to illustrate how this will always happen is that our company recently run a competition to name a recent marketing campaign in which the whole company could enter (about 400 odd people).

It was won by the marketing guy who sits next to the marketing manager who ran the competition.

• maybe the marketing guy was just better at marketing than the accountant, the credit controller or the bog cleaner?
  • Why run a comptetition then?

Surely that's the guy's job?

Plus our company is going down the pan, so he can't be that good. image

I'm not bitter.....image

• Muttley - why is she more deserving because she has a disability of some sort? Surely she would want to be treated equally, and not given special treatment?

• Some of these atheletes have dedicated themselves to their sport.  Hoy hasn't just got a Knighthood for one Olympic Games showing.  He's had 3 games so far and has improved each time.  He is a positive role model and as such has been rightly honoured. 

So what if they are renumerated with cash and public 'recognition'?  Surely the Honours system just further recognises the effort they have made.  Let's face it, we all watched and cheered them on during the games, didn't we?  Didn't it make you feel the slightest bit proud to see the Union Jack flying so high on the podium so often?  Didn't it lift the nation slightly?  Or am I being too naieve?

I don't necessarilly agree with the politicians receiving Honours and I would like to see more 'common' people who have dedicated themselves and their lives to good causes.  Quite a few are honoured, you only hear about the 'famous' ones.

What other country in the world has a similar way of recognising it's citizens?  Just remember, in the lottery that is life, being British (English!!) you have already won first prize.  image

• Prince Siegfried wrote (see)

Just remember, in the lottery that is life, being British (English!!) you have already won first prize.  image

100% agree, well put. image
  • Prince Lovely Legs, do you mean English is the same as British? Or are you trying to say something else?

• i think the honours thing has now degenerated into a pointless exercise given out to all and sundry..  i think it should  honour outstanding acts of bravery and selflessness and dedication of most of your life to a cause that improves or saves lives IMHO. Think it all went down hill when cliff richterd received a honours image

I think an honours means jacksh!t now to be honest.

Erm, being british = having won first prize... ermmmmmmmmmm

• Similar Sweetest, British is good, but English is ever so slightly better!  imageimage
  • Order of the Bath
    Companions of the Order of the Bath
    Ms Patricia Margaret ALDRED, CBE DirectorGeneral,
    Deputy Head,
    Foreign and Defence Policy
    Secretariat, Cabinet Office.
    (London, SW1A)
    John Stephen PITTBROOKE
    DirectorGeneral
    Secretariat, Land
    Forces, Ministry of Defence. For
    public and voluntary service.
    (Salisbury, Wiltshire)
    Professor Derek William JONES Lately Senior Director, Cardiff
    University.
    (Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan)
    David John PEARSON Deputy Treasury Solicitor, Treasury
    Solicitor's Department.
    (Harrow, Middlesex)
    David James SMITH Commercial Director, Department for
    Work and Pensions. For public and
    voluntary service.
    (Surrey)
    Ralph Edwin TABBERER DirectorGeneral
    for Schools,
    Department for Children, Schools
    and Families.
    (Farnham, Surrey)

Functionaries and civil servants every one of em. They get honours for DOING THEIR JOB. Makes my blood boil.image

• And two words:

LORD

MANDELSON

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage

imageimageimage