Brass Monkey Half Marathon

Comments

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Me too! WooHoo!
  • TS - I shall have another go tomorrow with Mark - one of our Garmins will hopefully behave! It's a strange thing which the Garmin has done before for no good or common reason that I can see. On most of my routes I know the mileage anyway and don't get too bothered but it always seems to do it when I'm LSR and care about the outcome or doing some efforts. Well done on those miles, I've yet to see one beginning with a 6! I did manage a 7.43 during my NYD run but couldn't imagine another 12. Hopefully the race day magic will take care of it.

Our numbers arrived today too - is it time for a list?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH

I have found my Garmin going "slow" as far as distance is concerned in the recent cold weather but probably more due to freezing fog blanking out signals. It is still a bit disconcerting isn't it when one doesn't get that reassurring beep when passing a know n distance point!!!

Good idea for a list - numerical order please cos I like my lists neat 'n tidyimage

0976 - Torque Steer

The 0 does not appear on the number but I stuck it on so that those wiith higher numbers can stay  aligned - see i do like my lists neat!

yellow band on mine - either for male or aged git I would guessimage

• I got my number too. Spurred me on to run 15 miles this morning, in a quite respectable 2 hours and 2 mins. Feeling pretty pleased now - only two weeks to go!

I can't recall what my number is atm - don't have it to hand - but will add it later. It's definitely green though.

Reading the very posh and shiny booklet, it really does feel like this race is getting bigger and less 'local' each year. Pleased about the chip timing though image

• Good job you mentioned the chip timing BP - we hadn't read the booklet!

Yellow must be for boys and green for girls this year.

0209 - Mark
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH

• forgotten that I had entered this as it was so long ago - had a particularly festive xmas with not much running in the last few weeks so not at all ready for a half!

will have a go at 14 tomorrow to see how it goes 

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    a few years since i ran this - one of the very few occasions when I went under 1:30 image

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH
  • That was a much better 14 miler - even managed the last mile at HMP. Time to taper now - let the niggles begin!
  • 14.5 done but only at 8.55 min miles which I wansnt too unhappy with considering my recent inactivity

Plan to do 16 at 9.30 pace next Sunday with very little taper for me LMH. Just going to use brass monkey as part of my training for FLM
  • Brass is my PB course and I shall be back to concentrating on tri training after it so it's my one real attempt for the year. I'm doing the full at WP but that will be run as a training run (though I PB'd doing that last year), any other races I enter will also be part of training, can't lose the time to taper and recover.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    21m long run this morning taking in about 6m of the BM course. I hope the wind is as non-existent on race day though a degree or three warmer would be welcome. It is still as flat as ever folks!

I'm No:749, hoping for 1:25/1:26-ish.
  • Our numbers arrived last week and it spurred to me on to my last LSR before the BM - did a really enjoyable 15.5 yesterday up around the moors hereabouts, miles 8 - 13 I ran really hard in an effort to remind me how tough it will be on the day.  It all went pretty well, if this is anything to go by I can look forward to this race with some optimism image

Can't remember my number off the top of my head, will post it later when I get home. 

NE

• was hoping for a pb attempt but this christmas cold is lingering image

not done a lsr since middle of december image

but, looking forward to the race and seeing everyone image

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH

1373 - nsc (can't get the formatting right, sorry)

• Hey NSC, hope that cold clears up soon - I've been taking echinacia for the past month to keep the lurgy at bay, seem to have worked so far.  Am adding H and I to the list, will update her number later - can't quite remember it, I know it starts with 13*.

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen
    0629 - Northern Exile

NE

• Or is that echinacea?  One of those words I don't know how to spell image

• Do the organisers allow number transfers for this race?
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    BR.. when I tried to offload my number 3 years ago 'on the day' (I was injured) they simply said it was not permitted.

Might be worth a go at this stage, The Race Secretary (Malcolm Fawcett) is at..

'Highlands'
    Kirk Hammerton Lane
    Green Hammerton
    York.
    YO26 8BS.
  • Found my number image

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen
    0629 - Northern Exile
    1125 - Bunnyphobia

• Good interval session with the club last night ..... it's all looking good image  Should we indicate on the list whether we will be hitting the pub (Marcia) afterwards for beer and chip butties?  Here we go:

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen (yes)
    0629 - Northern Exile (yes)
    1125 - Bunnyphobia

• Unfortunately we'll have to get home to the dog so are unable to participate in the post race celebrations/commiserations.
  • sorry if its already been listed but wheres the pub and are the chips anygood?

Adie Turford 174

• The pub is the Marcia in nearby Bishopthorpe (you run past it) and the chips were pretty good last year.

0209 - Mark
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer
    1461 - LMH
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen (yes)
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    0174 - Adie Turford

• cheers, will pass it as i head south home!!
  • 0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    0976 - Torque Steer (yes + Guiness!!!)
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen (yes)
    1461 - LMH

just tidying up the list a bitimage.
    Been away on business for a few days - helped me recover from a really carp run on Sunday when I simply could not get my body to raise HR and just plodded around.
    I would have been really depressed after reading NE post about long runs (over my hills!!!) and a good interval session last evening were it not for the fact that I ran the fastest ever training time over 5.1 miles very early this amimage - no pressure NE!!!!

• Absolutely no pressure TS image
  • Finally collected my number from my parents'.  This will be the first race I have done where ipods are banned.  How am I going to manage without music???  It takes the pain away...

0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1297 - Dippycat
    1373 - NSC
    13** - Helen (yes)
    1461 - LMH

• Did a 6.4 threshold run around Harrogate Stray tonight, felt pretty good though I faded a bit in the last mile - probably because I'm a little jaded from a tough week at work.  Updating list with Helen's number:

0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1319 - Helen (yes + babycham)
    1373 - NSC
    1461 - LMH

• Actually, I'd better remove the babycham gag - she'll kill me if she sees it image

0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1319 - Helen (yes)
    1373 - NSC
    1461 - LMH

• Dippycat -  you must have posted while I was messing about finding H's number.  Updated below:

0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1297 - Dippycat
    1319 - Helen (yes)
    1373 - NSC
    1461 - LMH

• 0065 - XPS
    0174 - Adie Turford
    0209 - Mark
    0749 - Wardi
    0808 - OMAHD
    0928 - swittle
    1125 - Bunnyphobia
    1297 - Dippycat
    1319 - Helen (yes)
    1373 - NSC
    1461 - LMH

Hoping to keep up with Wardi for longer this year.

The long range forecast is a bit mixed - high winds in the afternoon are an incentive to finish quickly!