BUPA London 10,000

I missed this one last year (probably just as well from the weather!!)  but I have entered for 2009 and I am looking forward to this event.

Apart from the Reading Half Marathon this will be one of my "big" events for the year.

Anyone else on here taking part?

Anyone from the Reading area want to lift share?  I'm happy to drive.

Comments

• I'll be there as it is nice and local. I didn't do this one last year and must admit I've heard/read mixed stories about it. Hopefully the weather will be better this year!

• Did this one last year. The weather was appalling! I'm in again this year hoping for better weather. On a decent day it would be a fantastic route.
  • Which would be better for a newbie to run in, either the BUPA London 10,000 or the British 10k in London on 12 July.

Thanks..

• Does anyone know what time this starts ? The website doesn't say, and I have to travel so might not enter if its too early....  Their phone helpline still refers to 2008 and says nothing....

Thanks

• Hi All.

I ran this last year and got a PB despite the awful weather, which may have contributed to some mixed reviews.  I sat in a portaloo at one point thinking "I could just go home - nobody would know" but really glad I didn't.  I can only speak from my experiences, but I'd have to recommend this one, flat, chip timed, excellent support (considering the monsoon!!!), fairly flat, out and back - some GREAT musicians along the way.  Kevin - I'll check my entry from last year later today and get back to you - I can't remember the exact time, but I have a feeling it was around 10:30 (ish).

I loved the event, and personally, I'd recommend.  But i can't compare it to British 10K as I have not took part, sorry.

Good luck to all who've entered. It's a smashing course.

• Hi beachball

I've run in the July race but not this one.

Both are flat with great sights and plenty of runners.  They are both good for beginners if you can afford them!!

• Kevin - just got last year's "Final Instructions" mag out from the dusty archives - on the very front page it says "Bank Holiday Monday May 26th 2008  - 10am.  I am sure this was the time we went off, albeit in stages according to the corale you were in. Hope that's of use?
  • Very hard to judge lasty ears race as weather was atrocious and did but a dampner (excuse the pun) and the whole day. Saying that, to sum up the two races for comparision the British 10K has a better, and I think faster route, but the Bupa 10,0000 is far better organised, baggage etc.

If I had to pick one I'd plump for the British 10k if you can avoid the baggage by either travelling light or taking a friend, aka bag carrier image There are plenty of folks on here that will disagree though......

• will they be timing the british 10K, I heard it's an "untimed fun run"?
  •  I have done both runs,and would pick Bupa 10k as far superior run and organized extremely well.The British 10k i found to be very disappointing,nice route but not chipped and very poor organization.
  • Beachball - avoid the british ten k at all costs - use the search function on here to check out what people have said about the race - it is an expensive over crowded fun run with poor organisation. Its the only race i know of to have its own complaints web site - to give you an idea of past years standards...
  • Must admit I was in two minds as to which one to do. After reading the reviews (British 10K) if think I will do the BUPA
  • I'd heard that about British 10K, but couldn't speak from experience - what was it like COugie for you?  I'm assuming here that you ran it, forgive me if I'm wrong.

ALthough the weather was absolutely dismal last year for 10 000, I thought for an inaugral event the organisation was smooth, and I personally was impressed by the support of the water station people, marshalls and Londoners that came out to suppor this one - they were relentlessly cheerful and supportive, it (for me) made the event quite thrilling.

Good luck with choices.

If you wanted an additional July 10K - www.greatrun.org they have the Great Capital Run on 26th July.  Large crowds, chip-timed, and the last 2 years it was in Hyde Park (though I note it is TBC on the www site so far).  Race entry not open yet, but I'd thoroughly recommend this one too, it's fast, well marshalled/organised, large event, nice T shirt and medal, and a lovely atmosphere.

• Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I think i will go with the Bupa 10,000 and hope to get better weather than you all experienced last year.. lol
  • Hey, that's a bit of bad news... BUPA have cancelled the Great Wales 10K - I think it was 1st run last year, I wonder if this is to do with our country's current financial state - less people registering for 'luxury' events like these?  Doesn't bode well. 
  • Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

I`m in - looking forward to this one but I see that it`s on a Bank Holiday Monday so bound to rain !!! image

Only 400 places left when I booked.......

(Hello WTS image)

• Mr K / WTS, I'm in too image
  • Hi Kelly, welcome aboard! Have you done this one before?

I've just found out that Wokingham Half which was postponed because of the snow/ice has been rescheduled..... to the day before this race!! image

The day following this I'm heading off to France for a walking tour round the Somme battlefields, so this is going to be one hell of a week!!!image

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

Hello & welcome kaysdee (& WTS) image

Like WTS, I`m down for the Wokingham Half the day before so this 10km is going to be a longer & faster recovery run than I`m used to image (But I have a similar weekend with a HM & 10km in early April to get `used` to it)

Looking forward to this one & seeing the sights...even thou seen them before.

(Nice break WTS)

• Hi Mr K

Yes I'm looking forward to the visit. A year or so back I went to Ypres with my lad and brother in law and it was a fascinating and very moving trip. We've both been looking into our family histories and one of his relatives had been killed just outside Ypres. We managed to find the field that he was killed in and then visited his grave. All very emotional stuff.

• I haven't done this one before. My first real race was the Great Yorkshire Run last September. I know they can be busy, but I like the grandeur of the Bupa races (not so much the price though)

Will be great to run past such great sights.

Sounds like a busy weekend for you guys.

• I remember seeing The London Eye (misted over partially), Big Ben (ditto) and the helicopter.  I vaguely have a recollection of running through the posh Finance part but got star-struck when I ran by Blind Dave and his running partner Mad Mac!

The rest is a rainy blur of avoiding puddles !  Seriously though, like you Kaysdee, I love the Big Event feel, and this - despite the weather for me is a seriously great race.  Lastyear, I am ashamed to admit hanging around inside one of those portaloos, having given up my baggage, thinking "I could just go home, nobody would know!".  It was cold and wet.  Surprisingly though, I got my fastest ever time here! Good luck.

• I enjoyed the inaugral event last year, despite the terrible weather.

Expertly organised (unlike the awful, annual, 'London 10k' shambles)

• I'm looking forward to this, I did the Great Run Hyde Park 10k in July last year and that was superbly organised, so have great hopes for this race. Didn't do the inaugural race last year, sounds as though the weather was dreadful, so maybe it'll be better this year.
  • As I think someone said earlier... Bank Holiday Monday = Bank Holiday Monday Weather!  Still, what a way to get drenched. Tis a great event.
  • Hello. image

I did the this event last year and am doing this one again this year. Granted I won't be trying to get a PB as I have wokngham the day before.

I am really looking forward to this again in a few months time. I just really hope there isn't rain again like last year.

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Me and OH are signed up for this one but didn't find out until we had entered that the start time is 10am, and as its Bank Holiday Monday it's a Sunday timetable on the trains which means the earliest we can arrive at Charing Cross is 9.03am. How far is it to the start from Charing Cross - anyone know? I also see that there is a baggage store - how efficient was this last year? As we won't have a lot of time, I'm a bit worried that we won't have enough time to drop bags and get to the start. Any advice gratefully received please image.
  • GoldeagleGoldeagle ✭✭✭

I ran this last year and didnt have any problems with the baggage store although I think the numbers taking part were fewer than this year.

As mentioned weather was atrocious and I can remember loads of us refusing to leave Green Park underground until they threatened to close it. Great  course though once we got going and very fast - a PB for me.

• I'm running it, will be a nice warm up, for my edinburgh marathon 6 days later, looking forward to it, did a 6k training run today and if it werent was having to cross loads of roads and jogging on the spot, i'm sure i'll be able to run a sub 47min 10k, this will also be my first race ever, so really looking forward to it, not bad seeing as 18 months ago i was 24 and a half stone
  • Fair play there - very impressive weight loss and fitness!!!

Am also doing BUPA 10000 before the Edinburgh Marathon. I too was 24 and a half stone  - a year ago. However, I'll not manage sub 47 min 10k!!! I did BUPA 10000 last year and did 1:38!! I'm hoping for 1:15 this year.

Cracking event and super route. Can't wait.