David Lloyd 5K

Anyone entered this before? My hubby and I are looking to give a shorter distance a go and were curious about this one.

Comments

• I'm looking at entering this for my first race as well. With my target set at 30mins I'm wondering if I'll be well off the pace in this race though. Does anyone know if it's mega serious or whether slower runners are stiill welcome?
  • I'm unsure - the website doesn't have any previous race results so it's hard to tell.

There don't appear many other races taking place in Feb so I might give this one a try.

• I noticed that too Susan.

I'm a member up at David Lloyd and the race organisers have left a stack of entry forms at reception. If they are that keen for entrants I'm hoping that it's not mega-serious.

As long as we get a load of human paced runners to enter, we should be ok right?

• Actually, I've just found last year's results at results

30mins wouuld be slow but not miles off the pace! I guess I need to get training harder and target 25mins!

• i don't usually do shorter distances and am a slow runner - would be happy to do it in 28mins but don't want to be trailing behind......
  • I'm considering this one.  I don't have an official 5k time and it would be nice to get one.  I'm likely to take over 30 min, but hopefully not by much.
  • Sounds like they'll be a few of us around the same pace then so we shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I'm considering the Exbury Gardens 10k which is in the middle of March. I'll need to be able to target an hour in that though or I will again run the risk of being off the pace. I'll have to see how I feel over the next couple of weeks.

• Joe, there are a lot of people who take longer than 1 hr for 10k, me included, and I have yet to be last in a 10k.  So go on, enter Exbury.

Alternatively, enter Eastleigh 10k in March.  It's not as pretty as Exbury, but it's a bigger event with lots of slow runners so there is no way that you will be last.

• Thanks for that Caz. I did see the Eastleigh event on the listings as well, but, as you said yourself, it won't be as scenic a route and the idea of running round Exbury and Lepe was part of the attraction. I did email the organisers of the Exbury race though and they were perfectly happy to have people running at my pace. I think they're just keen to build the popularity of the event so I don't see why I shouldn't give it a go.

I wish this ultra cold weather would disappear though as it's ruining my outdoor training plans at the moment.

• Most races are keen to accommodate the slower runner.  Running clubs organise these events to attract new blood and they can't do that if they put time restrictions on their races.  It's different with some of the very long races, because you get limitations such as lack of daylight, but I've never heard anyone complain about the slow runners at a 10k.
  • nor me, though i'm not a very experienced racer. definitely always been a lot of people behind me in the 10k i've done, and my fastest time so far is 59:51
  • My husband and I have entered the David Lloyd 5k and currently I'm running at 34mins... so better pick up the pace a little to make sure I won't be the last one....argghh my first race and I'm terrified about coming last, hey maybe that will make me run faster on the day.    Any suggestions on building up speed?
  • i'm running the So'ton 5k as well - i'm not very good at running fast and this is the shortest race i'll have done but i'll be coming in at around the 30min mark. i don't care if i'm last - i just want to enjoy it. the adrenalin on the day does make you perform better than you would when you're training i think, so hopefully i'll be happy with my time.

always00smiling - try adding some interval sessions to your training which should help you build up your speed.

enjoy the 5k everyone

• I ran the route this morning with a friend who only started training the week beginning the 3rd January 2009, the route is fine we were round in 30 minutes easy. The worst part is doing the same route twice to complete the course I always prefer going once round a course.

Also having entered this race I have the finish times for some of the runners and it is a real mixed bag from the speedy 15 minutes to 55 minutes. The average P.B is around 20-26 minutes.

It is the completing that counts and with the level of satisfaction will build your confidence for the next race so see you all there.image I am number 154! So say hi and my running buddy is 152

• look forward to running for fun this weekend the time dosnt matter you only run against one person... your self
  • My friend and I are running this one and will be around the 30min mark too - hopefully!

It's my first race since having my baby 9 weeks ago and it's her first race since a horrible knee injury from skiing so we're not worried about being near the back.

Red Devil 2, I completely agree with you!

Also, just to reassure everyone, coming last isn't always a bad thing. We ran the Amsterdam mara in 2007 not knowing how serious a race that was and there were 2 people behind us out of the thousands who ran it - we had a steel band playing us over the finish line and were greeted with so much support you wouldn't believe it. Honestly, coming last in that race made it all worthwhile so worry not!

• Good luck all first time racers.

Delia you go girl. Looking forward to your race report.

• Did this race last  year in 25.44.....hoping to improve on that this year.  As I remember it is two laps with an uphill on the way out and a downhill on the way back x 2.  Agree with Red Devil...I'm never going to win a race but I love to see my times improving...its a reward for running in the snow, ice, wind, rain image

It is the only 5k I do so looking forward to it...Good luck everyone

• Ohhh good luck Delia....did you have your baby at St M's...I am a midwife there?

• Thanks for the good luck wishes FF, not St. M's no, (although I did tell Mr. D we should so he could see Fratton Park when he arrived!) we had him at St. Richards over in Chichester.

See you there tomorrow everyone!

I'm number 144 so keep your eyes peeled!

• to those who mentioned your numbers, i did stay and look out for you and talked to a couple of you at the start (me number 45 nike hat).

well done for finishing and look forward to seeing you all at the eastleigh 

• William, you ran a good race - I seem to remember seeing you far off in the distance as I hauled myself around!

Hope everyone enjoyed the run? I couldn't believe the pace of the fastest runners as they went past us! It was incredible!

• cheers for that delia, i took 45 secs off my PB. oficially i was timed at 27:54 but my nike+ put it at 27:42. so i was well impressed. how about you

i can't believe that the difference between 1st and 2nd was 45secs as well. more impressed that i didn't get lapped. he must have been literally on my heels as i started the second lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Evenin all,

Great race yesterday in almost perfect conditions. I really enjoyed it but a bit pi$$ed off since my official time was 26.03. Still, my garmin says 25.59 so guess which one I'm going by image. Even better is that I was dreading being lapped and it didn't happen. I think this event could turn out to be a good little 5K'er for all abilities.

• After worrying about coming last in my first race.. I was very happy to make it past the finish in 30.26 - woo hoo!!  Now, I  just need to get into the 25-30mins "timezone" for the next race, although I'm struggling to find another 5k, so maybe I need to progress / or massively jump to a 10k?
  • Wow - all of your times are great!

I got 37mins but I'm not too worried; my son is only 9 weeks old so it was my first post-baby race and mainly just a test to see where I stood fitness wise since having him!

Doug, your garmin will definitely be the more reliable source! I'd go with that if I were you!image

Maybe next year I'll be able to say I wasn't lapped!! image

• Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭

Well done Delia - That's a great time for the first race after our baby. I'm sure you'll get back to full fitness soon enough.

Well done too, AlwaysSmiling. Eastleigh 10K is at the end of MArch and there are all sorts of abilities there. I did it for the first time last year in just under 1 hour but I was nowhere near last. Better get in quick, tho, cos it's always full.

• Doug2Doug2 ✭✭✭
    image Oops, just read back - I meant Your baby, Delia image
  • FF was chuffed! I was second back in my category and 7th girly...did it in 23.18...two and half minutes off last years time image

Well done on all your times...its great when its your first as you're guaranteed a PB and it gives you something to work against next year...

FF is doing Eastleigh 10k in March....in fact I'm doing loads in March...Meon Valley Plod on 1st, Fleet Half on 15 and Eastleigh on 29...so see some of you there!

• Fat Fyes - are you doing the NF10?

Delia - You will probably beat me at the NF10.