Anti-depressants & training

Comments

• april, sounds like progress.  hang on in there, you are doing so well.

<gives virtual pat on the back to april>

pea, don't worry about being back on the meds.  it is a hell of a big step to admit to someone you can't cope and you have done that, well done.  hope things start to gradually improve for you.

staggs, hope you get on ok at the docs.  i will be sending virtual clouds of lavender your way this evening.

tracey, i am very jealous you get to go back to bed.  please have a kip for me as well - i will see you this evening (if i don't fall asleep.)

• hi alli could do with your advice, you seem to be striving for positivity, and seem to have a grounded understanding.

ive have just passed my first year of running and I have found that running has been a real health kick both physically and mentally, i have had a manic amount of stress over the last year especially at work I'm a teacher and im statemented as a severe dyslexic with crap support and supervision from management. over this year Ive found that become running has become my own haven Ive stopped smoking tobacco given up cannabis and alcohol and don't even really bother with coffee anymore.

Things came to a head a few weeks ago and I'm now on anti depressants (serotonin uptake inhibitors). I'm off work at the mo for a few weeks (sod um) the doctor and me concluded I'm suffering from long term chronic stress fatigue (great title) and I'm trying to get into yoga and meditation as a way of quieting my mind, i have young children so time is often hard to get but  since starting running last year (when my dad died i ran to focus my grief) i lost 3 stone and went from nothing IE a 39 yr old who had not run since school days to finish snowdon in 8 months in aid to do this i focused on a 7 month race run in,

event 1: Fradley 10K
    completed in :56.30 mins - New Personel Best

Event 2: Rotary Shakespeare Half-Marathon
    completed in :2:09.50 mins - New Personnel Best

Event 3: London 10k
    51:50 MINS- New Personel Best

Event 4: Midland fun run
    completed in 1:24:mins

Event 5: Birmingham and Black Country Half-Marathon
    completed in 2:01 mins - New Personel Best

Event 6: The Reebok Bristol Half Marathon
    completed in 1:59 mins - New Personnel Best

Event 7: Run to the Beat
    completed in 2:15 mins - test run on speed and kit for snod

Event 8: Snowdonia Marathon 5.14.

my plan for the next target is the comrades marathon in 2010, I'm planning on using abingdon marathon for my IFAA timing for the application, i got a few stress injuries after snod and I'm building up my miles for stratford half at the mo and have a 10k in a month

so my issue is i run to help me stay sain and am aiming to lose weight (got a stone to go)so I'm stuck,

1. do i carry on with watching my diet and long slow runs and weight training for fat burning or step up my tempo running?
    2. will learning yoga help, do you recommend any styles?
    3. do any of you mediate any advice, will that really help?
    4. will my anti depressants effect my running there called citalopram?
    5. any weight loss tips
    6. stress management tips?
    7. fore foot chi running tips?
    8. tips?

any ideas, training plan suggestions or any info ?

• hi and welcome blox head.

the first thing that strikes me is that you are doing a LOT and in a way, that could be contributing to your stress.  try not to get too bogged down in thinking you have to do a certain time or if i don't do a certain number of miles i've failed.  you could maybe combine the yoga and meditation.  there is a class called body balance done at quite a few gyms/leisure centres which i have tried.  it is a combination of yoga, pilates and tai chi.  i found it very relaxing and also quite a good workout (an idea for cross training maybe.)

with regards to weight loss, try to make sure you are eating enough especially if you are running a lot.  i have never had that problem but some experience loss of appetite with depression.  i am taking citalopram (20mg) and I don't find it affects my running.  but i'm really slow anyway so it's hard to tell for me.

can't think of any more words of wisdom.  i am sure there will be others posting who will have plenty of advice.  good luck and enjoy!

• tweety - see ya later.

• cheers tweety good words, im on 20 mgs to how are they working out for you?
  • i would echo what Tweety says Blox Head, and add how much of your stress from work are you redirecting into your running, i.e. instead of letting work stress are you setting targets in running to replace or augment it?  After all if you've been setting yourself hard targets all your life why wouldn't you with your running???  No you didnt say that but serious dyslexia and you've made it as a teacher, not exactly after the easy life are you... image

If you are running to help yourself with the stress, etc, then setting hard targets wont help it just becomes another worry.  Fore foot strike, rear stris, chi running, pose...  does it matter? really??? are you sure?  what colour was the sky?  where was the wind?  how many people were around and did you speak to any? did you enjoy it or did you achieve something?

cor i sound i right killjoy! image

anyway...  meditation good, mindfulness even better, doing something because you are doing it not because of what you will achieve or get afterwards nor reward - if you look at the first step meditations such as the eating meditation it is the same as the exercises for mindfulness.  Yoga or thi chi may well help you relax, the discipline of follwing set moves focuses the mind and you have to put down all your worries.

weigth loss?  do you need to? or are you doing a high mileage and really need to stay as you are after all to run the sort of mileage you are looking at you will need plenty of calories.

SSRI's shouldn't have much of an impact on your running themselves though how they affect your mood which will affect your running is a different matter.  they may effect your weight and motivation, in either better or worse you cant tell until you've settled on them.

• Morning all.

((((((((everyone)))))))))

God I need more sleep.

Tweety - Kaz nearly killed me running with her last night.

• evening everyone

guess what been sent on home leave crisis team dropped me off yesterday they did warn me this time and gave me a plan,  they have done it whislt brian is off nights and also for when he goes back on nights

today the crisis team wanted me to get used to ringing them whislt brian at home , but have not been able to do this, as things keep stopping for example i still feel like bothring people ,and that i may be blocking the line for somone in great need, i have found today very very hard and theres been alot of tears ,  brian the one whoes rang the crisis team on my behalf so i can speak to them,  so i feel  i have failed today  ,   and my feeling and thoughts  are really strong  which i know is not good , and i am stuggerling , 

tomorow  brian working nights

the crisis team said they will come and visit  at 4:00pm as brian goes to work at about 4:30pm as he starts at  5 pm ,  

the crisis team say they will also come at 9pm for medication

but i know i will find these's nights alone very hard as i still do not feel safe from myself , brian is also worried as he knows what i'm like ,    i'm really scared

whislt brian asleep monday  they said they will pick me up and go to the day ward for a drink  then take me back home, for when brian wake up from his night shift , then they will visit again at 4pm and 9pm for medication 

then on Tuesday  they are picking me up to take back to  hospital 

I hope you guys do not mind but i may need your support over the next couple of nights whislt at home as i know i'm still not well enough to be at home and do not feel safe from myself , and i feel i'm going to let brian and the hospital down ,

is it normal to feel numb and being at home does does not feel real, also being at home with brian i should feel safe and happy but i don't  i feel like i am rejecting him which is hurting me so much inside i know he deserves better , why do i feel this way , this is not like me ,  i'm trying so hard to make it feel real but cannot , and keep breaking into tears when brian not about , God i wish i knew why i be feeling happy to be home but why do i feel this way , am i trying to hard to please other people ,  i know inside i'm not coping at all at home but feel i'm going to fail . image

sorry i've offloaded this on you all but i know you may understand   why i feel the way i do .

April x

(((((((((((((((((((big hugs to everyone)))))))))))))))))))))

• ((((Bunny)))) - I sent you a little present to the hospital on Friday so hopefully you will get it when you go back. Just came home from a Fetch friends 50th birthday party.  Three drinks and I am tired.

• Hi April, it's bound to feel strange - don't beat yourself up about that! Remember if it comes down to it you can always go back to the hospital so just take it a half an hour or so at a time. The Crisis team are paid to look after you just as much as anyone else, if everyone thought as you do they wouldn't have a lot of work on would they? Don't try too hard, if you just want to veg on the sofa or in bed then allow yourself to do that, there's nothing to fail at, it's a step on the journey to being better.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • hope you are doing ok today april.

tracey - you won't get me doing 8 minute miles, not even downhill.  that would have finished me off!  hope you enjoyed the party, you dirty stop out!

• Tweety - I was home before midnight I have you know.

• hi everyone hope things are ok for peeps x
  • Morning all.

Bunny - how are you doing?

• morning all.  back at the hospital yet bunney?

pea, how are you doing back on the meds?

• Tweety - I will be at the club on Thursday evening.
  • hello everyone

Tracey G a very big thankyou for the card and present they where a lovelly surprize thanks again image  they cheered me up,  which i needed , i fill you all in about weekend later ,  need to rest seem to have a sinking headache , think it may be stress due to weekend , speak to you all soon , take care xx 

• ((((Bunney))) You are welcome.
  • had a one to one today ,  felt i let myself down about the weekend which i spoke about to the nurse , but she got quite deep into the way i felt , which really hurt qestions that i found hard to cope with, at the time , thankfullly someone on the phone needed her,  i was too upset to continue anyway, 

I decided to go off the ward for a walk to let steam go and rang the samaritens which the ward does not know about yet ,  I leart that where some based where i live and i agreed to meet them there to talk as you may guess i was in a state ,  they where really lovelly ,  they took  the time just to listen and let me talk about weekend and how i felt , to think about on a postive side i think its done me some good just to talk to a somone who does not know me ,  it feels like the weekend been taken off my shoulder ,  because by the time i walked back to the ward ,  I did ring the crisis team to let them know i was going to be late getting back , also my asthma was playing up a bit too and had to take a slow walk back to the ward ,  brian also let them know too,  i did tell him where i went ,  

Tracey G  those present  fit lovelly I will be waring them , and i love pink , 

its seems quite tonight so farr on the ward , touch wood , hopfully the night girls will have a nice night , its a shame one of the nurses is leaving she one off the caring nurses and shows empathy .

anyway going to get hot drink , will speak later unless zopiclone & diazepine kicks i'll be giving the zzzzzzzzzzzz image

(((((((((((((big hugs to everyong )))))))))))))))

P.S.  has anyone herd from plodding hippo hope she is not overdoing it with her work , i don't about anyone else , but i miss her loads and her cheeky commets  (((((((thinking about you plodding hippo))))))))) xxxx

• hope you are doing ok bunney.

tracey, i will not be coming this evening.  have been awake since 3am with a migraine (still not sure how i managed mini's assembly this morning and a day at work today.)  hope i haven't let you down.  i was looking forward to coming this evening.image

• tweety - Kaz is picking me up. We must go for a little run/walk one day.
  • Good to hear from you April. I hope that the talking has given you some relief. Are there any plans for you to have more time at home?
  • how did you survive last night tracey?  did kaz try to finish you off again?  let me know if you are free at the weekend.  can't believe how bad my migraine was yesterday.  i feel so much better today.  i have put it down to the fact that as i am trying to re-introduce dairy to my diet, i decided to put a small amount of cheese on some pasta i made last night.  won't be doing that again any time soon!!!!

bunney, i am thinking of you.  you too pea.  how are the meds?

• i'm shattered, not sleeping that well but can stay awake half the night even with sleeping tablets.  so so so sick of "surviving" and "coping". image
  • tweety - I cannot run at the weekend as Bernard is working. I have to do 3 miles thou to reach my goal of 100 mile in January. We will run together thou I promise. Kaz and I are go to the club next Thursday.
  • (((Staggs)))
  • ((((Staggers)))) - I am one grumpy lady when I don't get enough sleep. So I feel for you. x
  • ((((((((((((((((blue room))))))))))))))
  • hi everyone.  love to all.  feeling mixed up.  sleep has become broken and thoughts of stupid trivial stuff that has happened keep playing over and over in my head.  they make me feel bad.  i know there is nothing I can do about stuff but its like a tv in my head I cant switch off.  worried my college work is slipping cos I havent done the homework for the second week and need to catch up but just finding it hard to focus on task.

sorry for the whinge (((blueroom))))))