The Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Comments

• The main shopping car parks are even closer - the Churchill car parks are up behind the Grand Hotel, and only a 5 minute walk from the start.
  • I will be walking to the start for our campsite, that will be my warm up.
  • Number arrived today.......2667.........looking forward to what will be my second half marathonimage
  • Got my number yesterday - 5445.  It's my first go at this one, I'm hoping the hills aren't too tough.  Will be on the 7:11 out of London Bridge. 
  • 3215 for me.

The hills aren't too bad, but they're all in the second half! Looks like if there is any wind, it'll be blowing us up the hills, so that's OK...
  • My number is 4164

• SazzaG wrote (see)
    The hills aren't too bad, but they're all in the second half!

Trafalgar St doesn't cound as hill?

Oh Lordy, I'm in for a shock then.

• am trying not to think about the hills (only signed up on the basis that a sefront half could not possibly have hills.....) image

am number 1300 and will also be on the crack of dawn train out of london bridge (although how i'm getting to london bridge is another matter.....)

• I've made that assumption before that sea side equals no hills... anyone else ever tried running the coastal path around the isle of wight? I think I registered the equivalent of running up Ben Nevis on my 12 miler!!!

After that this one can't be that bad image

Weather is not looking good at the moment for this race...

• Cara - Thanet 10 in December is flat.
  • True, Trafalgar Street is a hill, but it's short and sharp. The first long hill is from 8.5 to 9.5 miles, from the pier up Marine Drive. The second is at about 11 miles, where you climb up above the marina. The shame is that both downhills are short and steep, so you don't really get the benefit!

Anyway, I'm probably scaring people now. It's not so bad - hey, I might even run the whole thing this year!

At least the wind is still in the right direction...

• Yeah, I seem to remember the down hill at the Marina really does your quads in.

Anyway, forecast is for sunny intervals,though with a 13 mph north westerly breeze

• I haven't run in a week [& that was only 4 miles] due to a monster cold & chest infection.  I'm not right yet but am juggling whether to get out today for a bit & rest til Sunday or give it another day.  I missed my long run last week so marathon training has taken a hit.

If I feel good on Sunday I want to add 4 miles at the end.  Do any of you know a good way to do this? Is a little mini out & back possible along the course, or anywhere else you could suggest?

Cheers. 

• reikirabbit - I would not run until Sunday and then if you have the energy tag on some more miles.
  • Hi Reikrabbit - running from the finish to King Alfreds leisure centre along the seafront (as if you were running to Hove) and back should tag on 4 miles nicely).
  • Richard  

Am I already going in the direction of Hove at the finish?

This sounds brilliant. 

• Yep the finish is towards hove but it will be really busy with people and slow runners.

i'm supposed to be doing this but have spent the last two days in bed with a cold (i'm going to call it flu) and will probably spend most of tomorrow in bed too.  I'm feeling rather sorry for myself. 

• Lol TR, slow runners............that'll be me then!  Hope your "flu" gets better before Sunday.
  • The Rob, worry not, I am emerging from that bug today.  It lasted 4 days.  Still snotty though!

I don't see how the slow runners will be past the finish before me!?! Ahem.  How is the road to Hove likely to be congested? Or do you mean by people who aren't in the race? 

Heh heh..

• the 'slow' runners will be taking the seafront route below the prom so you would be able to run along the cycle path (well next to it so you don't get run over by a bike).  When i say slow, last year i saw people running back well into the afternoon so i'm talking 3hour-ish. 

I live in Brighton so its my usual running route so it will be a shame if i have to miss it.  But yeah once you have finished you can maybe have your banana and take you bottle of water and do the extra 4 miles no problem.  It will only be congested for a bit and once you are into hove its quite quiet really.  What marathon are you training for?  

• Looking like a great day weather wise with the wind blowing us up the hills.  Just hoping my dodgy knee holds out ok.  Though I'd start a thread below to see if we can hit our targets.  Feel free to ignore or add yours.

PB: 1.41   -    2009 Target: 1.45 or less    -     Actual time: Let you know Sunday!  

Good luck to one and all. 

• PB (HM distance - not this race): 2:09

Target: 2:05 (any PB i'll be happy with)

Would love <2:00 but not sure i'm there yet!

• Cheers the Rob - very helpful.  I've been to Brighton a good few times but don't know the course.

I will probably try to keep running continuously [says she who just wheezed 6 miles in the park], & from what you're saying I could safely leave my bag for pickup after I've done my extra bit.

PB Was 1:55:18 at Reading in 2007, haven't done a half in ages, & not uninjured since then.  All my other times are a lot better than then though, so target 2009 is 1:50.

On Sunday I'm supposed to be doing 17 x 10 min miles, so that would be 2:10 for the half.  On the day I wiill probably go for 2:00 though.

Am doing Omagh mid March & Reading which I'll race.

Training for FLM my first marathon.  Deferred from last year due to broken toe freak accident reprieve.   

• I've never raced a HM before but PB in training is 2hrs 13ish using tougher Brighton routes than the actual race route.

Would be good to get under 2hrs 10 but I'll just see how it goes as I'm not really at my best in the mornings. image

•     Can anyone please answer a couple of quick questions.

Which is the best car park to use?

Are there starting 'zones' based on your expected finishing time or is it a free for all!

Good luck to all taking part, the weather gods seem to be on our side!

• oh Anne I have to get the 7:11 out of London Bridge!
  • Wheresmike - if you don't know Brighton, I'd recommend the Marina

As for starting zones - only signs with times on, but nothing forcing you to take any notice!

Hmm, I'm not sure I want to join in the PB thing! And I would have been one of the slow ones that The Rob saw last year! I'd only been running a few months then... (mind you, I wasn't last) It was a bit depressing plodding up Marine Drive at 9 miles, with people wearing medals walking the other way!

Oh OK then -

PB 2.49 Target sub 2.40
  •   SazzaG,   

Thanks for the info 

Good luck on Sunday

• Reiki - if it's any consolation I'll still be getting up really early so that I can have breakfast and don't have to rush things.

About parking

-  the Marina is the best one to use but there are other city centre carparks.

If you don't mind being further out there are two car parks which may not be quite so busy - London Road and Hove Town Hall. these would both need quite a bit of time to get to the start line though..... They are both close to bus routes  - www.buses.co.uk  

Hope this helps.

Anne

• ABOUT PARKING- If you park at the Marina it is free, anywhere else you will have to pay for parking. Also do not park in Asda's car park as you will get clamped,  Try and get there early as you will have a 5-10 min walk to the start. Good luck to you all, I will be driving in from Crawley and having a training run with Mrs TB, and supporting you all. image