The Sussex Beacon Half-Marathon

Comments

• See you all there!  - 5502 for me, looking to go under 2 hr 10 mins for me
  • I'm so excited, just hoping we get parked ok coming from Horley and arriving in Brighton around 8.30 ish..hope that's early enough to get parked.

I am hoping for a 2:10, but since I've been poorly this week, I'll be happy to finish before the road sweepers!

Good luck everyone

Jo no-1313

• I know its late, but got to pull out so have spare race entry.

Anyone interested?

• Time to turn in and get some sleep, early start tomorrow!

5808 for me and aiming for around 1-50, pb 1-43...just want to get round feeling good with Paris starting to loom large! Good luck everyone.

• Just had my first bucket of oats.  Good luck us!
  • I can't 'do' oats so it's just some toast for me.

Good job i checked the race details last night as i was convinced that it was a 9.15 start image

Good luck everyone!

• What fun that was loved the course.  It was nowhere near as bad as I expected.  Did 1:59:10 I think & added 5 miles so am feeling rather pleased.
  • well done. i managed 2hrs17. found it tough going compaared to training but i did really enjoy myself. even managed tou build up speed at the end to overtake tha guy i was running slightly behind.

Celebrated with a few beers and a yummy meal at a local pub (the barley mow)

• I did 2:15. Was a good course would try it again next year. Only draw back was the seriously bad 'Runners Trots' I am now fighting image(
  • Congrats Jo!

I found it hard to judge my pace as I wasn't listening to music which I think was whay my time was slightly slower thatn I was hoping. Plus the hill up to the top of the cliff was a killer for me.

I don't mind though as I raised nearly £300 for Macmillan Cancer Care.

I think i'll probably sign up for next year and make sure I include the hill up above the Marina in my training runs. LOL!!!

• That's fantastic Anne. I think the hills were a bit of a killer and we certainly walked up the one to the Marina. Was your chip time similar to your own watch time, mine was way out, well by over a minute, can only assume my garmin lost signal in that tunnel bit near the end!

I was a bit disappointed to only get a large t-shirt! But hey, incentive to run quicker last year.

•  Mine was only 4 seconds out because i forgot to stop my watch.

I was hoping for a medal but like you I had to make do with a large t-shirt, At least the goody bag is really good! Strong and with nice long handles....

• Well I did 2:09:19 which was a PB for me by 39 seconds (previous was a flat course though). I think I would have been at least a minute faster if it hadn't been for the hills at about mile 10.5 - that one killed me and I ended up walking it.. Also I ran an extra 0.1 miles somewhere as Garmin measured 13.2 image

I got a medium T-Shirt... no small by then image

• My garmin had me at 13.2 as well - seem to be out in the fist mile
  • i got a PB - 1.39! So very happy image

I was impressed with the text message a couple of hours after I finished giving me my time, that was a nice touch. And the food in the goody bag was is actually quite nice.

• I did 1 hr 58, 12 mins quicker than my first 1/2 the week before in Tunbridge Wells so I am chuffed to bits. A minute a mile quicker!!! image

IT's hard watching runneres finish as you still have miles to go though, and coming out of the tunnel at the top and seeing runners head off into the distance was a tough one too!

Like the rest, liked the text messge, would have liked a medal though to record my first, but hopefully not last sub 2hr half marathon.

• I agree, it was hard looking down over the prom at about 8 miles and seeing them finish as well as was the zig-zig down Dukes mound.

T-shirt was a bit uninspiring - mile markers didn't sem to stand out much either (maybe that was just me day dreaming)

Bog crisis as usual but there is another set of toilets on the lower prom at beach level that were padlocked closed! Genius Brighton Council!

Nice gooie bag - the kids were pleased when I got in! Liked the course apart from the zig-zags. Lots to see and the bit on Hove seafront where runners were both sides of the path in different directions didn't prove to be a problem.

Plenty of water stations - only one where there was a problem. Bag drop was quick too!

Personally got a new PB 1:57.50 - went out quickly but the hill on 8.5 and 11 really did for me.

• I actually enjoyed the overlaps, I was on both ends of that one!

I'm not featured in the results. That's disappointing.
  • I did it in 2.12.18 and got a 9 min 21 sec pb image 
  • My first Half Maraton so I was guaranted a PB - 1.39:36  So very happy image

Nice touch on the txt message a couple of hours after I finished giving me my time, although disappointed with the goodie bag - no medal !!image

• Such a good day out as ever. I managed to do 2:06:45, which I was happy with. Not a pb, but haven't done much training mile, colds , weather etc.

Had a good old roast in a puBb. Then headed off to the Evening Star, which has got to be one of the best real ale pubs in the UK image

• The Evening Star is a great place to finish up for a beer or two!
  • Did anyone else find the mile markers a bit out of place?  One mile I would be 30 secs ahead of my target pace and then the next I would be a few seconds behind and then that kind of kept on the whole way.  My Garmin shows my pace was pretty stable the whole way round so I don't think my pace changed by 30 secs every mile or so.  Never mind, at least at the finish line I was 30 secs ahead of target and not a few seconds behind and I ended up with a 1:29... my first sub 1:30 half marathon so very pleased!
  • I thought the mile markers were out, especially the first two where I clocked a 6.01 and a 6.38, no way did I slow by that much (if at all) that early in the race. And Garmin showed a total of 13.37!

Found it a little tougher than I expected, didn't like the zig zaging much and found a couple of the climbs tough I think mainly because I wasn't expecting them. Seemed to be running consistently though as only 2 people overtook me throughtout the race after the opening couple of miles and did enjoy over all, good crowd support, great baggage, decent goody bag and after starting with a target range of 1.23.00 to 1.22.30 finished in a satisfying 1.22.45.

• I really enjoyed myself in Brighton yesterday, the race was quite good as well. Was aiming for a time around 2 hours as part of marathon training. Somehow managed 1.46 which i was chuffed with. My garmin was a bit out as well but i just put that down to the old garmin not being totally accurate. I was surprised by the amount of marshalls/ volunteers were there, which is much appreciated on a Sunday morning.

It was also nice to discover that i can eat a full english before running. Although i did give the beans a miss just in case. Shall definately be back to Brighton and hopefully for this race next year.

• I thought the first two thirds were pretty good and quick, but I really didn't like the zig-zaging, the short steep hills or the fact that the turning point at the marina couldn't be seen until you got really close; it was like everyone was running over the horizon!

Anyway, only my second half and I shaved a minute off my previous, coming home in 1.55.19, and that includes nipping to the loo on 8 miles.

• 2.12.29 - am quite pleased with that overall...

i did find the long slog up and down the seafront hard mentally - the pier always seemed sooo far away! but i did run up both hills (was actually waiting for the killer at 11 when we turned to go down that sharp slope and i realsed that i had already done it!!

on mile markers, the one at the beginning of the marina (11 or 12) - seemed a bit out to me? or were my legs just not working by then?!!

• A great day as always despite the fact I realised my knees wasn't better after all only a couple of miles in which made for a bit of a painful run.  Because of this I was 10 mins slower than last year at 1.51 but just pleased to get round in one piece.  Weird thing was it was the downhills and not the ups that killed me because of the knee.

Back next year for another go!  Well done everybody.

• and did anyone else see the idiot dressed in a costume - big pin striped suit with padded shoulders and mask?

ran past him at 4 miles (he was wlking - looking like he had already overheated) and then ran past him again on top of the hill at about 10 miles.... hmm... image - i did manage to mutter 'cheat' in his general direction but honestly - why bother if you're not going to complete the whole thing?

• hi gang

this was only my second ever official run and my time is 1:34:27, however my chip time is 1:33:57.

please could someone explain the difference between the two and which of the two is the one that is relevant.

one thing that i wouldn't mind is if they had 'kilometre markers' as not everyone works in miles.

i was also quite surprised to find out that they only had water, rather than sports drinks. and how is anyone supposed to drink from a cup while running - i think a small bottle would have been far more suitable.