The GET YOU ROUND Marathon Schedule

According to my calculations Week 1 commences 23 December. Who else out there is going to follow it?
Would be good to have some moral support to keep us all going and find out what people are doing now in preparation for the FLM.

Comments

• It is generally a good idea to start any schedule a couple of weeks ahead of the minimum date, this is to allow for missing training weeks due to injury or illness.
  • Bondi

Go for it, have a 'potter' round now. You can always tell yourself it's just preparation but it will help no-end; you can't beat the feeling of getting out there.

Good luck
  • I'm looking at a 18 week plan, so I'm trying to ramp up to the start of that! Currenty up to about 10 miles/week, after about 3 months working up to it!
  • Did anyone notice the very respectable time the "Get You Round' group came in at the Great North Run? It was 2 hours and 26 minutes which I think is very quick seeing that its for beginners. When I followed this group for the 2001 FLM, I found it a bit quick - they run at 10 min per mile pace then walk for one minute.I found the 10 minute per mile pace a bit fast but I'm aiming to keep with them this year.
  • I'm planning on following this but am starting now as am almost complete beginner (a couple of v. slow 5ks is all I've done before). Ideas for motivating me to get out now its cold and dark would be welcome!
  • hkp
    You sound about the same level as me.Do you think we will ever be the finely tuned athletes we dream about.
    I would also welcome some "I've just got in from work, it is cold, wet and dark and I need something to make me change and get out"tips!!
    I would love to be 2 stone lighter it would make it so much easier.
  • Bondi,
    Lets hope so. I'm also aiming to lose about 2 stone too... All I reckon I need to do is get out running the planned 3 times a week and stay off the chocs, crips, white wine, etc., etc.....
  • Are you going running today.If you are I will go as well and report back in the morning.I will be so riddled with guilt if I don't go if I know someone else is.
  • good idea, lets do it! will let you know how I get on tomorrrow. enjoy!
  • hkp/Bondi

Well done both of you - have a great session tonight.

A virtual running club is formed :-)
  • hkp/Bondi
    We could also make a virtual slimming group - weighting ourselves on - say - a Monday evening and keeping each other motivated food wise. I also need to loose two stones. Has anyone who has lost that amount of weight noticed a real difference in their running and if so, how much faster could they run?.
  • Hi Fatlump - take a look at the threads on the Health & Injury forum - there's a daily thread (normally called something like 'Fat Club' or 'Trying to be thinner club') which is basically a virtual slimming group. They all seem to be very nice and friendly!
  • Just checked - today its called the 'triple F club weds 6/11'!
  • So far I've lost 1stone and 4 1/2 pounds and I would love to lose another 2 stone. In theory I would then be a lean, mean running machine. I love the idea of joining in these forums and not only getting great tips and motivation on running - but slimming as well! FAB!

To date the furthest I've run is 1/2 marathon (Great North Run 3 years running). I'd love to run a marathon but at the moment I'm concentrating on trying to get a bit faster that my current slug like pace.

I run with a ladies running club - we meet once a week (tonight's club night) then I go to my local Slimming World Club on the following night. This always makes me put more effort in to my club runs coz I think to myself "if I run really hard tonight - it might just show up on those scales tomorrow as a good weight loss" that's what keeps me going. It's working well so far.
  • Dolly, you are a motivated person. I fluctuate between motivation and guilt. Love running when I get out there but think about it more than do it. How long has it taken to lose your 1stone plus.
    Went out last night for 20mins. Not much but better than nothing
  • Dolly, sounds like you're doing the right thing. I am a lapsed Slimming World member - the class I went to, members would all moan about how they couldn't stick to the plan... not v helpful or motivating! So, I am trying to stick with it myself and only weigh myself once a week, am finding it hard!

Bondi, well done on getting out. I managed 30mins run/walking. Am planning on getting out tomorrow night too if it ever stops raining!

I like Nick's idea of a virtual club... we need a good name though... The Crawlers?
  • Will try and get out tonight if not I'll join you tomorrow hkp!
    Do you get on better with red or green as a slimming world bod?
    I think this whole virtual running club thing could catch on.
    How many members so far:
    nick, hkp, me, dolly are you up for it? The AGM could be fun!
  • Bondi - I joined Slimming World at the end of July because I felt so heavy that I just couldn't enjoy running. I'm a terrible yo yo dieter/runner. When I've got my 'mojo' (motivation) there's no stopping me - but then if I start slipping I don't seem to be able to pull myself together in time to stop the damage! I must admit though, this year I've really decided that this time it's for keeps - get fit/slim and stay that way. I'm 38 later this month and if I don't sort myself out now I never will.

I have mostly 'green' days coz you can eat unlimited pasta, rice, potatoes etc and those are my favourites. Also the Slimming World consultant is Fab - she lost over 3 stone herself and now looks great which makes you believe it can be done.

Love the virtual running club idea. Count me in!
  • I prefer green days too. I tried red but was just hungry all the time. I've heard that high-protein, low carb diets are not all that good for you too.

enjoy your run tonight bondi!

• Hi Everyone
    Count me in. I've just joined SW and feel really motivated at the moment as I always do the first week of dieting. I've got a place in next years FLM as I deferred from last year. So I am looking to do about 5 hours. Tonight, I'm going to a local running track with a friend to do a speed session.Trouble is, if I have a bad dieting day, I start to think why bother exercising when I've been such a pig. Need lots of motivation so I'm glad I picked up you guys on this thread.
  • E P I didn't know that Slimming World had a FLM team. I'd love to do it - how do you go about getting on the team?

It's my weigh-in night tonight so wish me luck. Did a good 6 mile run with the club last night so fingers crossed that will have helped shift some flab (along with the Shepshed 7 on Sunday and a hilly 4 miler on Monday) am quite hopeful.
  • Thanks for that EP have emailed - am awaiting a reply.

If I don't get into FLM this year I think I will try another - may be Shakespeare -Stratford or Robin Hood - Nottingham. Will have to give it some thought. Will keep on training with that idea in mind though to keep the motivation going!
  • Fatlump

If you stick with the running then pretty soon you'll be worrying whether you've eaten *enough* before going down to the track, not that you've eaten too much :-)

Good luck all of you
  • I second EP come on over to the triple F club on Injury.

There is the URWFRC we have vests and every thing :-)
    If any of you are wondering what URWFRC stands for it's the Unofficial Runners World Forum Running Club

We try very hard not to be cliquey and people come and go all the time.

• Can I join you guys?
    I've actually put weight on and can't fit into my clothes since starting to run 3 months ago. Don't know what I'm doing wrong!!! I've applied for the FLM too, and I'd be looking at 5 hours plus, but I'd be so pleased at finishing at all, the time would'nt matter to me.
  • EP
    I've also e-mailed the slimming world site-if we all train hard from now on and motivate each other we could be a pretty formidable bunch by next April! As I'm new to Slimming World can anyone tell me can I really eat as much Free Food as I want and still loose weight? Seems impossible, although when I look closer at the Sins, A bottle of lager is 6 sins. I wonder how many more Sins I could have with regular running - say 4 nights a week. Any of you guys know?
  • XRay-Ted

Welcome and good luck to you and all others on this thread