Plantar Fasciitis

Apart from orthotics,heel cups,icing, stretching exercises, anti inflammatories, massage, physio and no running does anyone know a cure for Plantar Fasciitis or is the answer just to forget about running until this - according to my doctor- self limiting condition decides to go away? Help!

Comments

• Wish there was a fast track cure. Have tried all the above and am looking to go running free for a month or two.

Am wearing heel cps, Icing 2xper day, stretching, gulping anti inflams, and massaging the area - all helps nothing solves.

• Yes - no one answer, no quick "cure" - sorry Liz.

I have had PF at different times in different feet. Was never told to stop running completely though -perhaps shorter runs are the way for you for a while.

• When I had PF I stopped running completely for a month and I don't think it did it any good whatsoever.  I bought a leg brace thing that keeps your foot at a right angle and this combined with stretching exercises (which are listed on this website somewhere) did the trick for me.  The brace is and very difficult to sleep in so sometimes I would just keep it on for a couple of hours but this was enough to work for me.

My sister in law, who doesn’t run but is on her feet all day as a nurse, ended up having steroid injections and says that it has greatly improved her PF.
  • It's a bugger ain't it? I haven't been able to run since Nov 2nd but  I have found that I can run on soft ground, ie football pitches when they are soft after rain. Saying that, my PF gave me hell that night so it might not be a great idea, I suppose it depends how bad you have it. Mine still aches after nearly 4 months whenever I do something it doesn't like, such as shopping with the Mrs!

Like you I've tried heel gels, orthotics, massage, anit inflammatories etc but nothing seems to be helping but my physio keeps telling me it is. Until I can run pain free along the road I won't believe her!. Sorry I couldn't give you more hope.

• Thanks guys for all the responses - even although there is no quick fix or even any fix - at present I have PF in both feet and I just cannot run at all and even if I walk too much the pain is horrendous afterwards - I might just give the foot splint a chance and I am off to check out the cortisone injection option.
    Thanks again!
  • The night splint does help significantly. The icing, stretching also works to a degree. I found not running actually made it no better at all, and I was less likely to do the stretches and icing. Just another view !
  • I'm just getting back into running after 3 months off with PF. The heel pain was acute around Christmas but more recently (late March) the symptoms have started to ease. I've been to a chiropractor a few times, I use heel cups and I roll a bottle of iced water over my heel when I remember. I've decided to get back to training & I'm planning to do a few races in May.
  • Sorry for not updating sooner but I have been away. I wanted to say that you all inspired me to start running again despite the PF - I was under the impression that I had to stop running for there to be any chance of a cure- remarkably I have had no adverse effect - I still have PF but it is no worse than it was. Thanks for the inspiration guys !
  • Thanks for the info and personal experiences guys. I was feeling quite desperate when I developed PF and couldnt figure out how it appeared. At 58yrs old I hadnt run since a back injury in 1991 but battled away to be able to finish the Leeds 10 last year. Shin splints were my main problem but after going along to up and running in Leeds and having the computer analysis done plus a pair of £115 Asics, the splints all but disappeared. Then, all of a sudden I'm brought to a virtual standstill with b****y heel pain. Am trying all the treatments outlined on here by yourselves and am trying to run through it but the next day legacy is really painful. Regardless, I'm going to finish the Jane Tomlinson Leeds and York 10k's. After all, whats heel pain compared to what Jane ran and cycled through...what an inspiration.

Ash image

• Hi, I dont have PF but have treated several people who do with varying sucess. Very deep tissue to the foor and calfs helps. It is painful though.  As sometimes does strengthening the ligaments on the bottom of the foot. This improves the arches of the foot and reduces the stress on the PF. To do this one way is to have a tea towel on the floor with your toes on it. Use your toes to pull the teatowel to you by scrunching your toes. When this gets easier put a book on the teatowel to increase the weight. Helps some and is free to do. Some like to scrunch newspaper like that too. Bit a friend of mine is in the army who has tried everything and is facing being disabilitied out. He is looking into an op where they open the fascia up to release the pressure. not a god sucess rate.

Good luck to you all, hope it helps.

• I developed PF in my right foot. I ignored it at first as i thought it was a bruised heel, but it clearly was not going away. Physio massaged and applied ultrasound but also recommended i see a professional podiatrist. I spent about £150 on custom made orthotics (for both feet) which supported my high arches and evened up a slightly short left leg by 2mm. Meanwhile i iced, stretched my calf muscles and laid off running for about 4 months. I think the orthotics have ironed out a whole host of other small problems, possibly related to the shorter left leg.
    It is especially important to gently stretch your foot for a slow count of 30 by pulling the toes towards you with a towel or similar wrapped round them and your leg fully extended before getting out of bed - it is those first few steps in the morning that start to tear the overnight repairs, hence the pain when you first get up. You can also wear a foot brace while you sleep, but i did not.
    I now have two pairs of orthotics. I use one set for sport and the other i fit into everyday shoes. I only buy shoes (of any sort) which will take the orthotics comfortably and make sure i use them if i know i have to walk any distance. I ALWAYS use the orthotics when i run or hill-walk.
    I am now regularly running 30 km across the North York Moors and turning in PBs for half marathons; PF is thankfully a thing of the past.