Options

ITB

I am training for my first (or what was hoped to be my first) half marathon in 31/2 weeks.  On Sunday I did a 10k race in prep and then went for a run on Wed when my left knee along the outside really hurt and I was unable to continue...and decided it would be unwise to even try to do so and cut the run short and walked home.  This morning it was ok to walk on then as the day went on it became sore and is still sore now.  I iced it when I got in last night and then on/off for a couple of hours and again this evening.

Have read what I can find on ITB and it appears that all the previous advice given is to see a physio.  Now what I would like to know, I can't afford to see a physio this month (will budget for next month) but in the meantime is there anything I can do and is there any hope in running the half mara or is this goal going to have to wait?  I will sadly image give it a miss if it means better recovery and long term running less likely to be effected....there is always another half mara....

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options

I got ITB halfway through FLM 2007 and although I finished the run (I won't say race, it took me 8 hours in the end!) it bloody hurt.

I saw a sports physio but she could only massage it which didn't help much, an NHS physio tried stretches, manipulation then acupuncture before we hit on orthotics which seemed to do the trick. I still get a twinge from it occassionaly (nothing serious) but it was about 4 months before I could really run again.

There are plenty of sites on the web about ITB, look them up and you will find plenty of streches and exercises you can do to help it (sorry, I just had my PC cleaned and lost all the sites I had saved so can't sent you any links).

It will get better and you will run again. I did the GSR 6 months after the marathon with no effects from it at all.

Good luck.

• Options

Paula it depends on how severe your injury is.  Phil's sounds quite bad, I was out for about 2 or 3 months a couple of years ago (mine was due to an imbalance of muscles around the knee).  In my opinion, the best thing to do is rest and keep icing it.  Have you got a foam roller?  They are wonderful things for ITB injuries.

• Options

i had this when i ran the loch ness marathon a few years ago. it kicked in after about 6 miles so i still had a fair distance to go. luckily, i had already taken painkillers for another injury image and had anti-inflammatory gel with me.

i would say rest until it feels much better and just do some light stretching and walking. actually, itb syndrome is caused by doing the same movements repetitively (such as running in a straight line for a long time). you don't tend to get it playing sports, as you are constantly changing direction, so perhaps you could introduce a sport you enjoy as part of your training.

in any case, i would suggest good old first aid RICE. rest, ice, compression, elevation, as well as anti-inflamatory painkillers. and it would be worth talking to your doctor to make sure it isn't ligament damage or anything like that. hope you feel better soon.

• Options

http://www.howtostretch.com/iliotibi.htm

Physio is the answer, I still did the LM when I got struck down by it.  However I had to miss a month of running in my training and had intense fizz to get me around!! LOL.  I still have problems with it, all to do with my calves and glutes, I do loads of stretches and it seems to keep it at bay.  Good Luck

• Options

Thanks for your help!! I went to the GP to see about a physio referral and was told I didn't need one yet as the body needs time to heal as she thinks it may be a torn ligament opposed to ITB or similar....though going to speak to a colleague who is a physio and may be able to help, unfortunately she does not deal with sports injury and is more focused on mobility/seating....then if need be will be back and demanding a referal...

Soreness has gone down and still appears to be no swelling.  Thanks for th link sara going to follow the stretches all the same.

• Options

I battled ITB problems in training for the Dublin Marathon last year.  In training, I was fine up until about 80 mins and then the pain in the side of my right knee would kick in.

The foam roller saved me.  I used it everyday on my IT bands (sometimes twice!) and it really helped. I would recommend getting one or using one at your local gym if they have them. 

My physio also recommended I strengthen my hip abductors - the side plank exercise seemed to do the trick.   

Always good to get an assessment from physio to ensure there are no other underlying causes!

Good luck.

• Options

Thank you all for advice etc. 

But what is a foam roller? and how do you use it?

• Options
    You can get them from Amazon.co.uk -  the Physio Supplies shop. I used  a You Tube clip to follow how to use it. It does hurt to begin with but you do see improvement quite quickly (well I did).
  • Options
    Paula H, any physio supplies website will have foam rollers.  Also, good advice from Missy D above.  There are probably lots of good videos that will show you how to use it.  You'll find that different spots along the IT band hurt or are more sensitive than others....ease back a little and wait for the pain to subside....and then move along.
  • Options

I've also been suffering from ITB problems for the last four months and (touch wood) seem to be making some progress.

Definitely agree with a foam roller - helped me alot and is easy to use (search the internet for videos). It's about as close as you can get to proper sports massage in your own home, and yes it does hurt.

I totally agree with other people, who recommend the importance of stretching. This is a good one: http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/0168-knee-injuries.htm - the 'Walt Reynolds ITB Special'. Although physio's I've spoken to say the ITB is generally a hard area to stretch, which is why the roller is good.

Finally, and the thing I've learnt the hard way, don't run through the pain. It just slows recovery down in the end. Good luck in sorting the problem.

• Options

I'm suffering from itbs at the moment, really really pi55ed off with it, loads and loads of stretching and cross training is what I've been prescribed, got approx 45 days to get it shifted!

Also an alternative to roller - rolling pin and olive oil - especially useful for getting the P taken by wife and friends 

• Options

I like the idea of the rolling pin image - I tried an unopened metal tennis ball tube with a tea towel wrapped round it..... not as good as an actual foam roller.

The thing I found difficult is knowing when it was safe to go back to training as the pain subsided very quickly, but that was a rubbish indicator that the problem has also gone...

• Options

Still waiting for some of that pain subsidyimage

My fizz has told me it will hurt when I run next, I'm not fully sure if he is getting me to the start line 26/4 or getting me cured though