RICE

Hi all..... On Saturday morning ( 11.30am ) after my swim I went for a 1hr trail run with others and went over on my ankle. Now upon hearing a crack/pop noise ( was so hoping that it came from branch / twigs on the ground ) it soon became apparent that I’d hurt my ankle. On just touching the ankle area were the ligament is the pain was there ( ouch ) not wanting to risk anymore damage I slowly walked back to start point and headed home.

Someone did mention something about R.I.C.E which I had never heard of before ( having been one of the lucky ones to avoid injuries ).

Got home and looked it up on the net and thought I’d give it ago as I wouldn't be able to see a doctor until Monday morning at the earliest.

R( rest ) I ( ice ) C ( compression ) E ( elevation )

Ankle swelled up slightly and became painful to rotate. Having used an ice pack ( 7 times ) no sooner than 2 hr intervals and then applied a compression bandage and resting the ankle in a elevated position I have woken up this morning ( Monday ) to find the swelling has almost gone !!!!!

The pain is only slight and there is now some black / yellow coloring to the area.

Still early days yet and will not risk any running/cycling or swimming ( without pull buoy )

Question ....... Have I been really lucky and escaped with a slight injury or has the quick use of R.i.C.E help here.

I do feel that this may have been a lucky escape and a wake up call for me to watch where I plant the feet when trail running.

Comments

• In a word yes, If in doubt google it and I bet you will find it from everything from St John's so some internet stuff elsewhere in the world. There isn't mush a doctor can do other than what you already are doing but might be worth while going strait to casualty and getting them to x-ray it. "Just in case" Plus in my extensive experience of injury's I've always found it quicker to get a deferral to a physio from the there instead of my GP, due to the b*llsh*t internal market the NHS run's on. Depends on what your local hospital is like busyness wise. The longer you leave it before getting someone who know what they are doing to look it, the worst a problem you might have.
  • Until the initial swelling is gone then there's pretty much bugger all that anyone can do to tell if you're really done some damage (aside from MRIs now, but that's only if you're loaded /  a footballer).  Even then it just tells oyu how long and won't speed up recovery much.

Latest research actually implies that a cast for the first 2 weeks is much better than the bandage and movement at a 3 month recovery point, but by 6 months then it's the same.

Your injury could mean that it's nowt, or it could mean it's actually pretty bad and totally  torn, the lack of swelling and pain could apply to either. 

So take care with it, the compressions will at least remind you it's injured and stop you being a berk and going over on it again. 

Doesn't sound like you should have done much damage by your description

• Cake wrote (see)
     Depends on what your local hospital is like busyness wise.

You should know Cake image being a Blade fan and all.

• image I have never been so insulted in all my life. image

Is it Sheffield your from kid? Get down the minor injures clinic and get it out of the way. It's set up just for these types of problems to get it out of the way of people who ever save lives or deal with sicknotes all the time.

• D74 wrote (see)

Your injury could mean that it's nowt, or it could mean it's actually pretty bad and totally  torn, the lack of swelling and pain could apply to either. 

So take care with it, the compressions will at least remind you it's injured and stop you being a berk and going over on it again. 

Doesn't sound like you should have done much damage by your description

Sat here @ my desk at the moment and i think i've been lucky, movement is getting better by the hour

and pain seems to have almost gone. Still won't risk and running/cycling for a few days to a week ( see how it goes ) I've always been lucky with not getting any injuries playing football/cricket etc.... so i can't complain, good time to chill and look at the nutrition plan for IMCH, every cloud.........

• Cake - nananana he's a Blade and he's a Blade image

I just couldn't resist mate - yep from Sunny Sheffield.... home of the DeeDars

• Oh god a Barnsley boy. "your just a town full of dingles"

Should have remembered from one of the half threads. None locals don't panic this is normal and quite friendly. Hope the foot get's well soon.image

• Cybor,

if you can get hold of it then try arnica cream on the bruising- helps the healing process and also has anti-inflammatory qualities.

• Agreed, very good.

(and for cuts then aloe-vera gel is stunning once it's healed over to stop / reduce scarring).

And I am very much not a sandle wearing vegan altenative hippie sort, it's just that  both of these really do work.

• the bruising indicates that there's subcutaneous bleeding, therefore you have damaged something. Using RICE is the right thing to do, but you should deffo get an X-ray. I've had a bunch of foot/leg injuries over the years, but my sports doc has learnt that I won't be put in a plaster cast, the last 3 times he's given me an "air cast" after the swelling has gone down. If you can persuade your doc, they are brilliant, two pieces of plastic that fit around your calves with velcro strip and another under your foot. Air is pumped into the plastic so it molds to your leg. You can remove it to shower, etc., and I've gone swimming as well, getting the blood flow moving promotes quicker healing and you can get back to normal training quicker. Also using the air cast you can walk normally wearing trainers, or even use an exercise bike, and your muscles don't atrophy like they do in a plaster cast..
  • IW - Fractures or ligament / tendon damage won't show up on an x-ray at this point.  Assuming it's a hairline fracture then it's the new bone that appears white on the x-ray that lets you see it, a fracture can't normally be seen. 

This was in teh news recently.  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7886619.stm

You can buy aircast from someone like http://www.physioroom.com/

But I'd suggest that you first consider stumping up the £40 for a physio appointment to get a diagnosis.  May be very hardto accurately diagonose this soon after an injury. If you've full range of movement (compare with other ankle), minimal swelling then I reckon you should be OK, but that's just based on my experience of ankle issues over the years, and not in any way based on formal medical training.

• Thanks for the info/advice guys....... appreciated.

Went for a swim last night for 1hr ( using a pull buoy ) and the ankle felt pretty good, still didn't risk fc kicking. Was happy to leave the pool ( 10.00pm ) with no signs of any more damage.

image I think i have been really lucky here but it's is a little to close for comfort