Increase distance or times per week

So my current plan has me running three times a week, doing one 5k normal run, one 4-5k tempo/interval run and one LSR (10-13k).  I'm planning to do a 10k race soon, then if that goes well do a 10M four weeks later. My question is how would you change my plan between the 10k and the 10M in order to get the best (one off) time in the 10M?  I am currently contemplating:

1. Upping LSR mileage only

2. Upping mileage on mid-week runs and getting a little closer to 10M on LSR (say 14.5k)

3. Adding another short run (3-5k) per week 

4. Any other suggestions that don't up mileage by more than 10%.

Comments

• If it were me I would up your LSR gradually to 10m and keep your other runs the same at the moment
  • Squall88_uk, because that seems to be what everyone recommends.  Also judging by my training so far this year 10% per week is about the best I manage (even when plan says different), so unlikely to actually do it if it's more than 10% (at least on my LSR).

rach72, so essentially option 2?

• You could vary your intervals sessions- do longer distances, or more intervals or faster intervals. Or for you tempo sessions, you could increase the speed of the fast bit. Sounds like you are doing really well and taking a sensible approach.

Good luck with both the 10K, and the 10m and you'll be doing a HM before you know it.image ( so sort of option 2!)

• My personal preference is to up the frequency in most cases. Basically with all progression in exercise you have three factors to produce it: Volume, Intensity and Frequency. They're pretty self-explanatory really but for the purpose of my argument i'll quickly sum them up:

Volume - how much you do in a session
    Intensity - how hard a session is
    Frequency - how many sessions you do in a week/day

I personally think that as a beginner-intermediate, the best way to improve your running is to up the frequency. Run more days and you'll improve your body's ability to recover quickly. Frequency is the most FORGIVING factor you can alter. Volume and intensity both lend themselves to overuse injuries and burn-out.

The other argument for it is the adaptation principle... your body is far likely to make the physiological adaptations required to be good at doing something if you do it on a daily basis rather than only say... thrice-weekly.
  • You say 10% is the best your body can manage... I think you might be able to surprise yourself image
  • I thought 10% increase was all you should do, to allow your bones to adjust to increase in muscles etc. I've always tried to stick to that rule for mileage increase; not if if I'm going back up to mileages I've done before though.
  • Thanks for the opinions. 

I suspect the 10% is more of a mental thing than a physical thing, but I don't want to injure myself and I'm not in a hurry to up distances particularly, I'm just chasing the times/distances I need for one of our club awards, so I might stop increasing once I get to 20-25M weeks anyway. 

I was thinking that doing slightly longer mid-week runs would make the 10M seem not so long, but maybe you're right that upping frequency and therefore improving recovery would be better.  Hopefully speedwork will take care of itself after the 10k because I'll be able to run with my club then (working away from home at the mo).

• yer but 10% isn't rigid, if you're doing three 3M runs a week, adding a fourth 3M run in is a 33% increase but i'm sure it wouldn't seem too much of a strain if you're comfortable with running 3 miles.
  • I thought the 10% pertained to increasing distance in your LSR, but hadn't given it this much thought b4.  I just do what my Garmin tells me to, so much simplerimage
  • Haven't got a Garmin (or even a HRM), so that option's out.

I'm sure you're right that the 10% isn't rigid, but seeing as I'm not a natural runner, I'll stick to it for now.

Got a while to decide how I'm going to change my training, so keep the suggestions coming.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello there

10% is just a guide just like most things, it prevents you from doing to much too soon, best thing listen to your body

As to what to do with your races coming up, if it were me i'd look at what the goal was, doing a 10k followed by a 10 miler some weeks later. If you aren't doing 10 miles already in training i would first start increasing the length of the long run to 10 miles bit by bit if you can so you know you can do the distance even to 11 or 12 miles.
    It doesn't matter if you can't because the race day magic will spur you on to finish the race

Then once the race is out of the way you can look at how to progress your training there i would agree with squall88 with the frequency but do it bit by bit increase it sa little let your body adjust before increasing again
  • I'm already going over distance for the 10k, but I'm trying to consolidate the gain, so I don't slip backwards after the 10k (as I have before), hence why I feel I only really have four weeks to get up to 10M.  I would usually want to be sure I can do the distance, but I've not got that much time to recover from racing the 10k, before the planned 10M, I know the time between them isn't ideal, but apparently it's a really fast flat course, so I figure if I'm going to get the time I need it will be there.

I'll be more likely to up the frequency once these races are over as it happens, and I have done it before (briefly) and saw some results.

• would have to agree with increasing the lsr, and making sure the session after the LSR was an easy one, and also agree with throwing in a xtra easy 3 miler,if you look  at RW calculators you can get a very good plan that will give you a good idea of what you should be running for the 10k/10 miler.
  • I always have a rest day after my LSR anyway.  I didn't think of looking at the RW plans.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• I'd still say keep the LSR the same and increase the number of days that you are actually running, even if it only adds a few small and easy runs.