Options

Why have races

when

a) having them later would make it easier for people to get to them (and maybe have a spot of breakfast beforehand without having to get up at 6am)

b) having them on a Saturday a.m. would enable people to enjoy the rest of their weekend

I mean, I like running. But I like beer too.

Comments

• Options
    I've been thinking about this recently too.. Mainly down to the fact that I've signed up for a 9am race next Sunday which means getting up at half 6 to ensure I've finished my breakfast 2 hours prior to running and as the clocks go forward that day I'll actually be getting up at the equivalent of half 5.. Not a happy bunny I can tell you.
  • Options
    Road closures, etc.  It's generally easiest to hold them at the quietest times.  Also, fewer people work on Sundays.
  • Options
    Sunday is ok for me as i work on saturdays,I personally like them fairly early as it leaves you time to chill afterwards.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Probably because there's less traffic on Sundays?  Or used to be, anyway.

I don't mind the early start though - it means you've got the rest of the day to do things (like scoff a huge roast dinner and lie on the sofa).

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Probably because there's less traffic on Sundays?  Or used to be, anyway.

I don't mind the early start though - it means you've got the rest of the day to do things (like scoff a huge roast dinner and lie on the sofa).

fair enough

a 10k that sarts at 10am though is over by 11am ...

• Options
    Its traditional. Less traffic on Sundays, and less people work Sundays than Saturdays.

Runners have it easy though - Bike races kick off about 7am on Sundays - a mid morning run is far easier to cope with.
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I usually have to cook the huge roast dinner before I get to scoff it!
  • Options

In the summer it avoids people getting overheated/sunburned?

• Options
    Actually prefer them earlier rather than later, because I can't eat for three hours before, so I'd rather get it over and done with so I can finally have my breakfast.  I think Saturdays would be a good idea for Marathons though.
  • Options

yep there are obviously good reasons for it, traffic being the most obvious 

but the Wimbledon 10k on Sunday (9am) is along roads that aren't closed (bit daft really when they've got the Common isn't it?)

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Then it wouldn't be a road race? 
  • Options

heh, ok - I understand road race to mean the surface. Aren't there plenty of 'road races' round parks - along the paved paths / roads of parks?

• Options

I usually have to cook the huge roast dinner before I get to scoff it! 

Ditto Wilkie - in both cases image

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't know of any - all the ones I've ever done have been on proper roads.

The only park one was a Cancer Research thing in Hyde Park, and I doubt if that was counted as a 'road race'.

• Options

Apart from the road closure issue, An earlier start means you have the rest of the day free to spend time recovering / in the pub / with family.

Our local 10k race starts at 1pm on a Sunday and that really is a pain in the neck - it means hanging around all morning in the house or in the garden waiting for the time to near. Also by the time you finish, cool down, etc it's nearly 3pm, and too late for lunch, but a bit early to go home for the rest of the day.

• Options

yeah, 1pm's daft

ok, I stand corrected re. the term 'road race' - I'm relatively new to this race lark

• Options
    still think Saturday would be a better day though
  • Options
    me too. I'm running Reading in a couple of weeks. Clocks going forward and all that the night before....it's a cruel joke......
  • Options
    Feel free to organise a Saturday race then ?
  • Options

back in the day, most races were held on Saturday afternoons. This then slowly evolved to Sunday mornings. These days there seems to be a few more starting a bit later than there used to be.

Me, I prefer to a nice early Sunday morning start so I can get home and spend the rest of the day with the family.

• Options
    The Dorney Dash is on a Saturday morning in June... Well attended from what i can remember and great organisation
  • Options
    sheddysheddy ✭✭✭

Personally I agree with you Adrain, but then, that's mainly because I'm quite lazy and never been very good at getting up early. I love races that start around 11 or 12. Plenty of time to get up and get there but still plenty of the day left once you're done.

Speaking of Dorney lake, I'm planning on doing the 10K there on April the 12th and the start time is comfortable 12:30. Admittedly they have an advantage of the race being completely off the roads but I wish there were more that started around midday time.

• Options

In the summer months there are plenty of mid week races to keep you busy which allows the weekend free for the beer garden!!!

• Options
    ah really stuart? I shall investigate ... as in midweek evenings?
  • Options

I always prefer Saturday races, especially cross country in the winter and track in the summer, which are generally saturday afternoons. Few beers sat pm and then a long run Sunday. I hate waiting around all weekend for a race.

Worst is country track champs..1500m 4pm Sunday!! depressing!!

I suppose if you are unattached or just do road races, there is more likelyhood of them being on a sunday...swings and roundabouts image

• Options
    AL - didn't think you would need help regarding the old beer garden

;0)

• Options

ukresults.net

this is one of a couple, whether or not it covers your area not sure...more of a northern thing like chips and gravy...

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    I organise a bike race - and last year we put it on Saturday morning instead of Sunday - didn't get as many pre-entries and it didn't fill up until the morning - whereas the year before I was turning entries away a week in advance - so I reckon one reason more races are on Sunday is because more people want to race on Sunday than Saturday. 
  • Options

Hmmm, I have gotten into the habit of doing my long runs on Saturday mornings, then have Saturday afternoon to get stuff done, Saturday night to go out, and Sunday to recover from said night out!

But as far as races go, I only do maximum of one a month, and prefer those on a Sunday... means I stay in Saturday night anyway! Plus as has been mentioned above re: road closures, there's no way roads would be closed on a Saturday for a race. Prefer them early starts too, as again I would normally have an early night anyway before a race, and it's nice to be finished by and on the way home by early afternoon, so can have dinner then head off to the pub to celebrate / commiserate.