Evening runners doing a morning charity run help

Hi,

I've been running for the past year now and can run about 6-10 miles, I run during the evening, I find I can't run during the day at all, I feel very weak, no energy and can only manage about a mile or 2.    

Now I'm wanting to get into charity runs but they all start during the day, how did you evening runners overcome this??  

Regards

Comments

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

When do you eat? 

You need to take fuel on board, and if you don't eat breakfast (for example) you won't have much energy for running in the morning.

• When I used to run early morning, I used to go out without eating.

Evening runs: I make sure I run 2-3 hours after eating before setting off for my evening run.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I run early morning, mid morning and evening (not all in one day).

The early ones are only short, so I don't have breakfast first (but definitely after!), but for later morning I have breakfast a couple of hours before, and evening runs I rely on the breakfast and lunch I've had earlier in the day.

If you have breakfast a couple of hours before running you should be OK.  Have you tried that?

• I run at about 5.30 - 6am.  If you're going to run first thing in the morning you have to be well hydrated and make sure that you've eaten well the night before.

• I am the same as Pavey, If running at 6am then I make sure I eat a really good meal the night before.  Get up at 5.30 have a coffee and go.  If racing at 10ish then exactly the same except add a bowl of porridge or toast 2 hours before race.
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

If you have breakfast a couple of hours before running you should be OK.  Have you tried that?

I remember trying that with no luck : (    

• I think it's something you just have to overcome Noob, you will probably be limiting yourself if you can't get used to morning running.

I'm not "nautrally" a morning runner either but I do it. It takes longer to warm up and on a long run I sometimes don't get "into it" until 3 or even 4 miles - you'll probably find that if you push past that initial 2 miles it will get easier. 

Good luck.

• I'm not naturally a morning runner either, but I think you can train your body to get used to it and get it used to a more varied routine. So I'll maybe do one very early morning run during the week (which necessarily has to be a short run to fit in before work), and my sunday long runs are usually in the morning as well, but slightly later say 11am. At first I really stuggled in the morning, but it's certainly got easier over time.

The other thing to remember is that the atmosphere and adrenalin on race day may be plenty to see you through and you don't actually have a problem in practice.