Alloa Half-Marathon

Come on then!!! image

What is this half like for a PB? Wanted to do the Trimpell 20 but my shift patterns at work aren't working out so i would like to do this one instead. Heard a lot of good things about this one.  image

Comments

• RB - I did this a couple of years ago and have entered again this year (although I'm currently injured). All the good things you've heard are true; it's really well organised and really friendly. I

I set my Half-Marathon PB here so it's very possible.

One thing to be beware of is the weather; - it's March in Scotland and in the race there's a long straight 4 mile stretch along the base of the Ochil hills which is very exposed to the elements. When I did this race in 2007 there was a really strong headwind with driving snow and sleet. 

Mind you, if it wasn't difficult it wouldn't be worth doing. Thoroughly recommend it

• Ambling Moose,

Yeah, the weather can change at the click of a finger. Pretty much sold on this one so i will see you there. This is the year i want to achieve as many PB's as possible, then next year i will have to calm down a bit (its an age thing). image

• image Have my number an hoping for a PB - hope the headwind with sleet stays away image I can maybe deal with one but not both!

• Hi Smout,

Ah forever the optimist - The weather will be dry and overcast with very light breezes. Mild for the time of year..... Lol

I'm hoping for a PB too - Anything under 1hr 40mins will do image

• image I'll definitely stick with your forecast if thre's a choice image sub 1:50 for me

• I live close to the route and this will be my first time doing this race.  Been training along the course and for me the exposed 4 mile stretch is the only troublesome bit (well there is that hill around 9.5 to deal with, but you'll get the feel of that on the day !).  If it's a clear day, it's great, lovely views along the hills, but if it's raining and windy it can be a bit of a slog.  I wish they would use the trail instead of the main road, it runs parallel to the road at the bottom of the hill and is protected by the trees, but then it wouldn't be as challenging I guess.

Hoping for anything sub 1:40 myself  image

• Ran the Alloa Half marathon yesterday. As predicted the head-long wind along the Ochil hills was very prevalent. I ended up drafting behind two runners for some respite. Menstrie hill was a steep hill after 10 hard miles but as said ealier if it ain't hard it's not worth doing!

Got a pb of 01:34:21 so can't really complain. I will be back next year.
  • Well done Pedropete.

Yeah that was some wind. Now if only that race was held the day before... image

I wanted a time of anything under 1 hr 40 mins but missed it by 16 seconds!!!!! image

Having said that, my garmin 405 showed a distance of 13.15 miles. What do you do??

I will be back next year, Edinburgh half next...

• The wind along the Tilly-Menstrie section was not fun, felt like I was going backwards...

Still I managed to come in at 1h38 so I'm happy with that.  image  I'm glad I'd ran the course at least once as part of training otherwise the hill would have been a very unwelcome surprise after 10 miles.

• Hi Ghost Rider,

Having never ran in the Alloa area "The Hill" did come as a surprise. I'm glad I do plenty of hill training as a rule....it definately helpedimage

• That hill was certainly the undoing of me. I was glad it was flat at the top by the roundabout as if there was another climb shortly after I don't think I could have coped.

I'd only done 3 miles in the previous 5 weeks due to a back problem so was amazed to get round without any discomfort. 1:47 was only 10 minutes down on my best as well - I was expecting to struggle to beat the 2 hour mark really.

• Well Done folks!

That wind was awful so I;m vry happy to have taken 4 an half minutes off my PB 1:46:05

Grangemouth on Sunday for me - I beat my 10k time by a minute an a half yesterday so hoping the legs still work by then image