Silkstone Shuffle Multi-Terrain Series

LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Anybody doing any of these races this year? A series of 4 races over the year (March, June, Sept and November) with the first one being on Saturday 28th March, 10:30 kick-off. Only £10 to do the whole series (or £3 per race), and you even get a lovely T-Shirt!

The course is 4.5 miles and is mostly off-road with hot showers and changing afterwards. Most people seem to really enjoy it, so if you fancy a nice run on a Saturday then get yourself entered.

I'm probably helping to organise these this year, so if anyone wants any info let me know. Cheers

Comments

• Yup, a highly recommended event.  A very enjoyable Saturday morning blow out.
  • From a public transport point of view would I be looking at getting to Silkstone or Silkstone Common for these races?
  • Silkstone.  If you got the train to Silkstone Common you could jog down a big hill for about a mile.  The race HQ is by Silkstone garage at Silkstone Cricket Club.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hi Barry,

As BR has said, the train to Silkstone Common is probably your best bet. It's then a mile tops down the hill to the venue.

If you look here http://www.ukresults.net/2009cal.html and then search for the race on the 28th March you'll see there's a link there to multimap, which will show where the Train Station is and where the Race HQ is. If you can get yourself to the race then I'm sure you'll get a lift back up the hill to the station afterwards as quite a few people will be going that way. If you're struggling I'll even drop you off myself - but you'll have to wait til the end as I'll be doing the results so will prob be the last to leave. But the offer is there - I'll definitely take you if you're struggling. So getting to the race via public transport isn't as difficult as it could be for other races, so hopefully we'll see you there.

Cheers

• Cheers guys. I'd not noticed the handy map link before. Not much chance of getting lost heading down a single road (famous last words)
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hi Barry,

I've been given the lsit of entries tonight and I noticed that you're in (you're #19 out of interest). Assuming you're still coming on the train, you need to make sure you get onto the right road to get to the venue. You need to get onto Cone Lane. If there's anyone around to ask, ask them to point you in the direction of Silkstone Lodge as that's about 200 yards from the race venue.

DON'T end up on the road to Dodworth - you'll be going the wrong way. It's actually quite easy to take the wrong road as you leave the station, so just be careful to double-check this bit. If you're unsure then there's a pub outside the station (called The Station amazingly enough). Immediately to the right of the pub is a road, with a railway bridge directly in front of you. That's Cone Lane so follow that road right to the end (and past Silkstone Lodge). There's then a Petrol Station on your left - the race venue is behind the Petrol Station. It's less than a mile from the station to Race HQ, and it's all downhill.

Also, if you still need a lift back up the hill to the station after the race then I can sort that no probs. I'll be the one with the laptop sorting the entries etc, although I'm hoping to run myself as well if I can. So see you there. Any questions let me know.

Cheers

• Just spotted this! Nice PR LS21. And thanks for the testimonial BR! Entries are going really well so far, so it promises a good series. Hope to see some more RW forumites there....
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    We've had an entry in today from none other than the great Ron Hill! Excellent stuff. Really looking forward to this one now image
  • Hi LS21,

Im looking to do this race tomorrow, I only live in rotherham and run with ths striders....is there still plenty of places as i dont fancy traveling there and the race being full!

Thanks

• Not a problem Chris but don't leave it too late getting there, by 9.45 will be ok for the 10.30 start
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Hi Chris,

Yes as Ian says we've still got space. If poss it would help if you can print off the entry form and have it already completed for when you get there. You can get the entry form from here http://www.ukresults.net/forms/091128silkstone.pdf

Many thanks and look forward to seeing you tomorrow

Lee

• Cheers for the directions LS21 they were spot on.

That was a large amount of fun image

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

Cheers Barry and glad you enjoyed it! That first hill is a bit of a slog, but at least you get all the uphills out of the way in the first 2 miles or so - and then you get that nice long downhill at the end.

Results are now on our website - www.barnsleyharriers.org.uk - there's a section called Silkstone Shuffle, and they're in there. We'll also upload some pictures in our Gallery section later today too, and there's some good pics by the official photographer on their site - Armada Photography.

Look forward to seeing you at the next one.

Lee

• RACE REPORT

Spring, summer, autumn and winter are the four seasons of the four annual Silkstone Shuffle Trail Races presented by Barnsley Harriers. Four and a half miles of mixed and undulating terrain provides very different challenges at different times of year. The first one for 2009, the spring event, was last Saturday, except the weather wasn't exactly spring-like, with a flurry of snow to add to the cold, dull and breezy conditions. All the more remarkable then that a record breaking one hundred and fifty seven runners turned up and completed the event. As well as good representation from most of the local Barnsley clubs, there were many entries from Sheffield, Rotherham as well as Lancashire and London.  Conditions were generally pretty good underfoot, with just a few boggy patches and some terrific tussles ensued throughout the field, as series points and category prizes were fiercely contested. Winner on the day was previous champion Nick Swift of Sheffield Running Club in an excellent time of 25.57, pushed hard by Aaron Denevon of Moston AC in second and Darfield's  Rotherham Harrier Luke Field a very close third. There was great running by the ladies too with winner Deborah Richards completing the winning club double with Nick and finishing really well in breaking thirty minutes. She was pushed hard by Hallamshire's Pippi Wilkie, with Kimberworth's Clare Spencer in third. Barnsley Harrier Jenny Lingrell was first senior lady outside the front three and another good run saw Penistone's Julie Buckley secure the Lady Vet 50 award. Completing the lady prizewinners was Hallamshire Harrier LV60 Carol Wolstenholme in another remarkably good race and first LV40 Nina Haigh of Kimberworth Striders. In the men's race, Darren Unwin was first senior man out of the first three places. Winning Mens veteran awards went to Martin Broadhead of Hallamshire, Martin Connolly of Rotherham, John Hewitt of Barnsley Harriers and Ron Hill of Clayton-le-Moors Harriers in the V40, V50, V60 andd V70 categories respectively. Previous Commonwealth and European Marathon Champion and now V70 Shuffle winner Ron Hill MBE presented the prizes together with Chairman Ian Meade and made a special birthday  presentation to Vet60 winner John Hewitt who was 65  on the day of the race. The next event in the series is on Saturday 20th June. Details and entry forms are available at www.barnsleyharriers.org.uk.    

• Anyone doin the last race on the 28th?