Am I ill or did I overdo it?

Yesterday I did a 10k and got a pb (53 mins) which I am overjoyed about, I have been running for a few years now on and off but since the beginning of the year have started upping my mileage gradually building towards my first half at the end of April, I did this 10k just as an interim race as I haven't done a race since last year.

I have been runnng 30-40 miles per week with no issues, my long run being 10-13 miles now and 2 or 4 other runs of 5-8 miles (easy recoveries/tempo or steady runs, occasional intervals), no problems.

However, this race yesterday has really taken it out of me, either that or I have come down with something, sat night I felt a bit 'off it' but was fine yesterday morning and ran a good strong race. Afterwards I was tired and weary but not exhausted but as the day wore on I felt more and more sickly and downright lousy.

Today I have got up and feel totally crap, I didn't sleep well again feeling sickly, I have a massive headache and feel 'fluey', I have no appetite and I'm not sure whether I am just ill or whether perhaps I did push myself too hard in the race (as all my family seem to think!)

I run 10k in around 58 mins in training and never feel like this so I am thinking it is just coincidence and I am ill. I wanted to go for an easy run today but really can't face it because of how I feel.

What concerns me is if it is the race that's caused this, what on earth am I going to be like after the half? I have never felt like this after a race before (but I have never run a 10k that fast before) 

Comments