2 miles and circuits PM
    gym high rep work
    Why: still holding back on the running
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday 13th March
    Lyrics: familiar but no
  • mavamava ✭✭✭

morning

meant to say to wabo yesterday, don't be downhearted - if you taper properly  you'll be fine.

What: 3.4 slow miles
    Why: I seem to have a touch of DOMS today
    Last hard: it will be today
    Last rest: 16 Feb

We are going to undergo our equivalent to an OFSTED inspection at work today.  Much stress expected.  So I'll be heading off to work suited and booted as soon as the builders turn up.  Have to stay to see them to get some idea of when our cooker might be reconnected.

Finally linked our living conditions with my  inability to sleep last night - I'm getting very stressed by the chaos. 

Have a good day all. 

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

What: 6m rec d&d / ~9m lunchtime incl 3m TT on the road / hopefully I'll remember to do my core today (forgot again yesterday - gotten really bad at remembering this!!!).
    Why: Schedule.
    Last hard: Steep uphill reps y'day.
    Last rest: 17/03.
    Lyrics: Nope.

Yesterday's steep uphill reps were supposed to be 6 x 2mins, but the most appropriate hill wasn't long enough, so 10 x avg 80s instead. I think I got it right (Lydiard steep hills - as opposed to his hill bounding, as I understand, are essentially high knees uphill, with a high cadence and slow forward momentum). Hard work, but fun. I'm getting a taste for putting a bit of effort in image

Have a great day all.

• Morning all.  Thought I felt some discomfort in my naughty achilles yesterday evening, but it seems fine now.

What:  Rest
    Why:  See above, and scheduled anyway

Also resigning gym membership today; now I'm back running I can't go enough to justify the cost.  Fairly sure it has been worthwhile over the last few months, for both fitness & sanity!

• Morning,

Well, yesterday's 5.5M recovery jog was an eye-opener!  Never have I have felt so much tiredness in my legs two days after a long run.  Just goes to show how done in they must have been on Saturday when things didn't quite go to plan.  So, that's sort of encouraging, in a way!  At least I have a reason for the struggle on Saturday and the hope that a sensible taper will sort it out.

But, am now not quite sure what to do today.  Schedule is for some 0.5M reps, but I'm really not sure I've got that in my legs.  May well just jog 5-6M and leave the reps until tomorrow (or even skip them entirely this week).

Have a good day.

• Morning folks.

Another blank on today's lyrics, though they are familiar.

It's Mrs S' birthday today...she's got the day off work while I'm stuck here in the office, but we're off out for a nice meal tonight...looking forward to it!

SGQ - keep listening to the body and respond accordingly...the work's done now, so just make sure you get to the start line as rested and ready as possible.

After an easy 4 miles (29mins) at lunchtime yesterday, had an excellent session at the club last night. The session was 3 x 10mins tempo with 2 mins jog recoveries. After Sunday's long run I never expected too much and was prepared to just run the efforts at around MP. But on setting off, things just seemed to click into place...the distances and corresponding paces for the intervals were:

1.75 miles / 5.44 pace
    1.68 miles / 5.58 pace
    1.80 miles / 5.33 pace

The second effort was pretty undulating, including 3 significant hills which kept the pace down a bit, but the effort was pretty consistent. Very pleased with how I felt on the last effort.

For today...

What: 7.3 easy miles at lunchtime
    Why: recovery

Have a great day.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

thanks all re mara, am fine today! Had float tank last night and all my niggles came out.

Thing was, can't remember who said about being please if my long run was at mara pace?  but that 22 miler was way way slower than I would want my marathon pace to be.  I did 4.18 2 years ago in the heat but going by sunday's run it is more like 5 hours. But if thats what it is then so be it.

tt hope your littl'un is ok today

what: 1 jog 6 x 800  (4 mins???) 200 rec 1 cool down jog

why: sched

last hard: sunday

last easy: float tank

have a good day all, can't believe I didnt get yesterday's lyrics btw!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Scobos - sound advice - I followed it, but with strange results.

Decided to abandon idea of 0.5M reps due to legs still feeling tired.  Decided, in fact, to listen to body all the way round my run - don't look at Garmin just run comfortably all the way.

Imagine my surprise, then, to look at my Garmin at the end and discover I've done 3 miles out at 8.00 pace and 3 miles back at 7.40 pace!  If I'd done the reps, they wouldn't have been much quicker than those return miles!  That return journey is like I did my reps but without any recovery between them!

Sometimes my body confuses me.

PS Forgot to say - lyrics, yes.  Not sure I want to admit it, but...

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Wabo - he's much better today, thank you for asking. Because he got a triple hit they gave him antibiotics to take the edge off and they seem to be doing the trick. It was I who said about the long runs. What I meant was that if I were looking to do a mara in 4 hours, I would be looking at a 21-23m long run taking about 4 hours, and if all the indications (e.g. HR, RPE, etc) were that I was comfortable at that I'd be quite happy that come race-day my long run duration would be my race time (hope I've managed to explain that a little more clearly).

SGQ - if I run without paying attention to the Garmin I invariably find I run faster (though lately I am becoming more attuned to what various paces feel like as a result, so it is starting to level out). In my case I became overly reliant on what the Garmin was telling me, rather than going by RPE. Practice makes perfect.

3m TT on road went relatively* well - windy, undulating route and just my lonesome for company, but 16:05 for the 3m. Effort would compare favourably to the 16:31 5k on track 2 weeks ago (i.e. closer to 90% than 95%), so coming on the back of the hill reps yesterday I'm not displeased (* the tummy was playing up from quite early on) with how it went.

• Tiptoeing back in after a bit of a break .... life has just been way to busy to post for a while .... but I did exchange on a house last week, completion in 6 to 8 weeks time, so a big tick in the box of resetting life.  I have run all 3 G 3 races since posting last (4th in age group each time!) plus Bramley 20 (10 miles slow at 8 min/mile then 10 miles at 7 min/mile) and the Grizzly ... and kept the speed endurance going ... but no more than 30 to 40 miles a week since Jan.

Anyhow, you have all been v busy .... looking back a couple of days .... 

Awesome and early long runs on Sunday Imski, TT and SCQ (bet you won't forget your gels again!)

LOL Mava about the vodka boosted half ... 3 days and not recovered ... mmm.... you know what they say .... if you plan to do it, train !  So just put more vodka into your programme and you will be fine.

Pammie great Paddock half PB - excellent

Gobi - fine half too

NZC - at Paris too - shame your Son was tripped at 5k, so easy with all the people.

Yes, I was at Paris and managed to take about 8 mins off my PB and scraped my first sub 3 marathon in 2:59:36.  Half way was in 1:28 and I maintained pace up to 34km or so when it became increasingly tough with a dreadful 4:50 in km 36 (the required average for sub 3 is 4:15).  But I decided to keep the possibility open and keep at it and focused to speed up again. The last kilometer was a real dash for the line, heart rate heading to 180bpm ..... I rarely go above 165 and only occasionally top 170 even when racing. So very pleased indeed.  Fuelling was a key aspect with 25 cl water and quarter a banana on all 8 stations and 5 gels too. So good luck all you London bound chaps and chappesses.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Aah TT now I get it. Ok I feel a bit happier now.  Thanks for that!
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    well done dm!!!
  • DM
    congrats on the sub-3!
    Have you done the Grizzly before?  What did you make of it?

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

DM - Cheers. well done on all your races particularly the Sub 3 now that is nice

Mava - Hope doms leave soon

What: 4 miles easy
    Why: continued recovery but better than yesterday
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Lyrics: Sounds familiar But no
  • Tipp Top - looks like the training is still going nicely - healing vibes to your wife and little one.

Scobos - things are looking pretty fine with your running too.

Happy birthday Mrs Scobos.

Wabo - you've done the work, I'm sure you'll get your rewards. Looks like you and SGQ are doing the same schedule.

Gee Desert Man - you've been busy - congrats on your sub 3 at Paris - great stuff. You cut it real close though - great determination to see it through.

Thanks everyone for all your kind words about my son's Paris effort.

What: O'Hagans 5k

Why: thought it time to push the old body again.

Time: 21.56 - have to be happy with that - haven't been doing much since the New Plymouth marathon, but still feeling tired all the time.

Last hard: still having to get up in the night for old dog.

Good running everyone.

• DM - congratulations !
    that's brilliant and you slipped it in so nonchalantly. hope you've had chance to relax and celebrate it, fabulous achievement

nice sessions scobos and TT
    and a very happy birthday mrs S !

near disaster aversion this morning while jogging about on the field and went over on a humpy bit, felt the ankle wrench a bit but didn't need carrying off this time. foot still playing silly beggars and may need attention if it doesn't clear up.

• 8 mins off the PB and a sub-3 sounds like a great days work, DM!

What: 10 miles easy early am
    Why: 26/4
    Last hard: sunday
    Last rest: monday
    Lyrics: nope

• Evening all,

DM: congratulations on the Sub 3. 

Happy birthday to mrs S

Lyrics were snow patrol and chasing cars

•  Evening all!  I've got some catching up to do, not having posted yesterday:

Good to hear that brilly  will be at the National Relays.  Clink, sl2, will you be there ? And anyone else ? We won't have a full team, so I'll opt not to run, but will come down to Sutton Park to cheer and say hi.

Pammie, congrats on that half M PB.  You deserve it after the hard work you've put in this year

NZC, issuing gdaughter the wrong map was a bit mean image; hope son's ankle is OK

mava, Don't be too upset; you can't get the best out of yourself when you try to race tired (I know, I;'ve tried image

SGQ, and wabo, I think it was Blisters who said that he can guarantee that at least one long run won't go to plan in a marathon campaign, and I think he's right. It always happens to me once in a while, but is no real relection on form, and also I always find that after a run or race which feels so hard at the end, even when the pace isn't up to expectations, is when the muscles complain afterwards. You did the sensible thing missing out the reps, and then great to find the pace was there anyhow

TT, sorry that Jnr has been so bad, but good to hear he is recovering well.  Sounds like you are getting on well with the scheme anyhow.  Hill reps one day, TT the next ?  I suppose you haven't time for the base building phase, or is the theory that you've already done that with the miles you've put in this year ? . 

DM, brilliant; a major landmark passed. You must be really pleased

Yes, I know its nearly time to back off, and I did feel better today.  Coach reckons a few more hard/long sessions, inc a 20 next Sun, before tapering from next week,  - just when everyone else seems to have done their last long run, too, And I know I've done a lot, but actually no more miles than I have done Jan-March for the last four or five years

so today: What: am 3ml tootling with Tigger;
    pm: 9.5ml inc 2 x RR; 12x 300m; 2xRR ie quite a bit shorter than I've become used to - I think it's called tapering,or perhaps coach was actually taking note of my saying that I've been too tired to work hard for the last week or so
    Why: I hope coach has a plan !

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice DM! You certainly get around! 

What: 25 mins or so steady whilst working any uphill stretches a little harder
    Why: unlike most people my age I can
    Last hard: Sun
    Last rest: Dec 24
    Lyrics: yes

Clink: yes, Alex  Park, which I intend to repeat in the not too distant future (well, in the next 4 or 5 months)

Salford 10K anyone? Purely as a spectator of course.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.