Rotterdam 2009

12346»

Comments

• I'll be in for the pub - but may not be there til 6 as I don't expect to finish before 4.30pm......and that'll be with me knocking people out of the way to get over the start line......

I'm ready for this now - BRING IT OOOOOOOOOOOON image

• OK, PMs by 6ish (Vixx, t'was us slower types I was thinking of when I suggested the times!). There are three bars - front bar, music bar (Irish musician playing on Sunday) and sports bar (Man U game on TV).

I suggest we meet in the front bar, but shout if you think you'll be in one of the others! We can then decide whether to stay there or move on once we have all gathered to celebrate our marathon achivements, Steve's forthcoming nupials and my birthday. I'll check back with/for identifying marks, but I guess we should be able to spot british types who've done the marathon - the bar staff are Irish so they should be able to point us out if we tell them we're waiting for peeps......

• what a grand way to spend a sunday, 

do a marathon, then later go to a pub named Paddy Murphy's

and watch man united play with a point of guinness in your  hand. 

now that is closed to what i call  a dream sunday.  and some people  call running boring.

metronome good to here you are back on track. 

and  when  sunday  comes,  i am sure  you will at your best form,

• Details from PM's website:

Sun April 5
    Music: Paul Martin
    Sport:
    16:00 Everton v Wigan
    17:00 Man U v Villa

I'll be a small female with short hair (dragging - or being carried by - a Scottish man who feels left out coz he didn't do the marathon) - wearing a leopard print gilet (quite probably over a Rotterdam Marathon T image) and a badge of the letter "R" in rainbow colours........

I'm glad to hear we're all raring to go! Excitement building over here - if it gets much higher I won't need the airplane to get there image

• LOL - we can fly by ourselves.

I have no distinguishing features, but you can see my photo here, so that'll give you a clue....

• While I think about it - is anyone going to wear an iPod or MP3 during the race - I can't see anything that says we can't....

• Vixx76 wrote (see)

While I think about it - is anyone going to wear an iPod or MP3 during the race - I can't see anything that says we can't....

I'm sure you be allowed to. I won't as I'll be busily converting minutes to miles to kilometres to anticipated finish time to required pace and so on and my brain can only just about cope with that  - perhaps some chilled out beats would be a better option though.

Just done a final tempo (sure I've said that before) and now down to some serious carbo loading. image

• The final run of the sacred schedule is now complete, I believe in the schedule image. Tempo for me too.

Vixx, I don't wear mp3 players either, but the previous year's videos show many people with headphones in so there shouldn't be a problem.

Good travels everyone - stay safe and well - have a good race, and may all your marathon dreams come true.......see you after it is all over image

• Getting close now!

feel like I should be outside putting in the miles, but I guess rest and short runs is all that's needed now.

sorry to disagree Sean, but I'm still hoping for some rain! looks like fair with cloudy intervals though.

Not sure if I can join you all in the evening. I'm driving over first thing in the morning from Brussels, then family is coming over later in the day by train & we'll go back together (hopefully I won't have to drive!). Will see how we get on, & will join you if I can in Paddy Murphy's. 

Hope the showers will be available post-race in the changing halls, since I won't have anywhere else to go!

Starting to get phantom aches and pains now in my legs, which I'm sure is psychosomatic!

• their is that name again paddy murphys,  if anything that wil get me from the start to the finish line,                is knowing that their is pub in rotterdam called murphys and it has a point with my name pat on it,           

well it is good reading all your information about rotterdam people.

and i like to wish all you a good run,

all the best

• good luck all

heading for T5 in a couple of hours.

enjoy the fun

gc

• I hope that everyone had a good race.

I was taken ill during the Saturday night and did not even make it to the start line.  I am absolutely gutted that I couldn't enjoy the day, but I hope you all got what you wanted out of the day.

Vixx

• oh no, Vixx that's a disaster! Really sorry to hear that, incredibly frustrating, especially since you'd actually travelled out for it. Hope you are better now.

I did manage to get to the start line, and even to the finish line as well. An incredible experience, I had a great time until 30km, running fast and easy, but then the last 12 k was a real battle of will. I was really happy to finish in 3:45, which was exactly my target, but I think I could have found an easier way to get there, if I'd gone off a bit slower!

On the other hand, you do find out something about yourself when you manage to get through the pain, and keep running, and I do feel very proud to be able to describe myself as a marathon runner.

Legs are still very sore two days later, but I should be ok by the end of the week.

How did everyone else do - a better experience than Vixx I hope?

Simon

• Very sorry to hear that too, Vixx. Hope you are well now. Congrats on hitting your target Simon image

My race did't go as planned. Got caught in congestion at the start and spent 2 miles dodging between other runners and it wasn't until the 3 mile mark that I was able to wind up the pace. Hit target pace around 5 mile, but that had taken it's toll during the last few miles. Still.. finished in 3:06:02, so a new PB and happy with that.

Didn't make it to PM's as I was lured by the offer of free food and beer. The plan was to seek out the pub later, but the beer had taken it's toll.

Hope everyone else is ok/recovering/recovered.

Steve

• Hi Steve,

great time, well done!! That takes you tantalisingly close to sub-3.00, think you'll have to do another in the autumn now you're so near!

Yes, I found the start v crowded too, and did lots of weaving. Probably why my garmin claims I did 400m more than the official race length!

• Vixx, really terrible shame you were so cruelly robbed of your dream Rotterdam experience.

We didn't make it to Paddy Murphy's on Sunday night, although we had been there on Saturday afternoon to watch the end of the Grand National live on the TV. GaleForce's luck of the Irish deserted him as 'Irish Invader' faded after having been an early leader.

We did, however, celebrate at a different Irish pub - O'Shea's - on the other side of Coolsingel - led astray by a load of other Brits.

SteveG, congratulations on your PB. Conditions were absolutely ideal. GaleForce and I both got PBs too, as did our party organiser.

So, what news of Mr. Cunningham ? How was the flat, and the do-it-yourself pasta party ?

Sean.

• (((Vixx))), that is such bad luck! And after you'd got race ready in such a short time....bummerimage. Hope you feel better now!

Well done everyone else image

Race was good. I took it easy and enjoyed the day - met with hubby unexpectedly so stopped briefly to let him know all was going well. 4 hours 42 minutes and 26 seconds.....that's close enough to around 4:30 to make me happy - and I even managed to get a 42 in there for my first 42.2 on my 42nd image. Did find it too hot, think I would have been happier on one of the cooler days they had while I was out there, but I remembered the sun cream so I was only a bit browner than before! Enjoyed the street parties! Slapped some children's hands. Won an Adidas shoe pocket with my chip....

We were at PMs, for a while then went for a steak.

• I got 7 lots of that shower gel they were handing out......

I am better now thank you.  I was obviously not meant to run that day image

• 3;56, 16 minutees slower than Paris last year, and 26 mins slower than my ambition.

Wassn't in shape for a 3;30, but probabl;y coul s have done a 3;45, but my achilles was like a fire ball, and I was limping most of the way. Also found it too hot.

Howeverr if my achilles can finally get better, I am already "planning" 2010 marathon. Probabbly Edinburgh.

Just back from Edinburgh following a funeral..all in alkl, packed few days.

Great thing about Easter, is that I am allowed to eat chocolate, whilst this time last week!!!!

Enjoy the realaxing time guys!!!

GC. 

• Hi Grant -

yes, I found it too hot as well! My legs ached all week, and I was telling myself never again. But the memory is fading now... & I've also started to think that maybe I could manage another marathon next year!

• Next year????  There's plenty more to do this year.......shhhhh, don't tell hubby image
  • RebekahJane wrote (see)
    Next year????  There's plenty more to do this year.......shhhhh, don't tell hubby image
    ...or wifey (to be). Signed up for 2 halfs and a full this week to keep me occupied. Rotterdam does indeed seem in the distnat past now. First post race run planned for this sunday, then lots of chocolate - it's good for recovery so I hear image
  • So long as none of them are during the honeymoon you should get away with it image

I was caught writing a list last night....2 halfs, 2 10Ks and a 7 miler.......I'm trying not to include the 23 mile Cateran Trail next month......

I'm dying to get out there again, but I will wait until Sunday too, I know it makes sense. I obviously didn't push hard enough as I had only mildly tight thighs on Monday and was back to normal by mid Tuesday! Pass the chocolate!!

• Oh and I must recommend the H2otel if anyone is returning to Rotterdam.

The staff were brilliant - they made a special marathon breakfast for me and all made a fuss generally. The rooms were clean and comfortable and it was amazingly quiet and peaceful for such a central location. If you can get one with a terrace to sit out on of an evening or there is a jetty in front of the bar that you can sit out on.

• hi all,did paris this year in a slower than intended 4hrs 23 so im lookin at rotterdam next year as i think i saw all paris has to offer!!!is it worth a go. Paris was very crowded for the first half and cost me my 4hr target i think