What: 6 miles steady with 3 around MP
Why: last real run pre FLM, some jogs likely
Last rest: yesterday
Last hard: while now
Lyrics: curious to know if this was big in the UK

Comments

• mavamava ✭✭✭

morning all

I did read the thread but can't recall the details and don't have time to go back and refresh my memory. I do know lots of tapering is going on.  Sorry folks.  Maybe later.

What: 5 miles easy done
    Why: yesterday was hard
    Last hard: see above
    Last rest: 16 Feb

Beautiful morning out there today, if a little on the chilly side.  Gorgeous sunrise over mist covered fields...

No idea on the lyrics Imski. But then again I don't often know them.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: 10miles d&d (it was cold)
    15 or so miles on the bike at lunchtime
    2 miles + circuits and gym PM
    Why: ticking over
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Friday 13th March
    Lyrics: nope
  • morning

i don't know it imsk, but there's a lot of stuff i don't know. see what the others say

having read through yesterday's thread i'm left with an entertaining image of scobos in sweaty running kit sunbathing in the garden while mightos feverishly digs weeds and breaks into a rain dance image   you guys seem to have fantastic weekends, have fun

AF - Berlin, it's a target so that's a great motivator even if planned training is yet to start. how long do you think you'll be playing bass ?

alehouse - aha you do know the place we go to, gets a bit dusty when hot and dry but i really like the feel of it, seems to almost bounce a bit. some nice grassy hills quite nearby too for reps. agree TT's fartlek suggestion as a compromise to intervals too

TT - i was hoping to use the P and D aquajogging reps program again but it's more awkward in this pool (i.e. congestion) to get space and rhythm, need to catch a quiet spell.
    will introduce some reps on the xtrainers now i have broken myself in - usual trick is to go at it all out and pull something else first week so been nice and steady so far

sharkie - yes, early mornings and evenings are still quite cold relative to the heat of the day we've been having so a bit soon to mothbath the hat and gloves. your arm action comments are spot on, relaxing of the shoulders is a technique i have never mastered but i'm sure you're right. your 'streamlined' physique should give you a bit less wind resistence to counteract the being buffetted about i would think. very satisfying session and nice work from roy image

stickless - so sorry to make such a hamfisted blunder, my sincere apologies to you and your friends but i do hope it is a celebration of his life and a good send off
    the 'back in business' at the end of your post was very nice to read

AB - early morning run and 20 mins to spare - you're a natural. hope you get the training fitting nicely around your work and family commitments

gobi - just thinking back - did your injury start with the fall or did it come on gradually ? i remember you falling off the kerb in the tunnel race - was that the trigger ?

wabo - try not to stress about the essay, enjoy the taper and have a great time on sunday !

hope the guts settle down mike, not a nice problem to cope with. have you got any races planned for after the borders finish ? the final is next week isn't it

feel i am getting some benefit from the cross training after a week's reasonably consistent efforts. helping to address the weaker left side issues as well as take the pressure of the mangy right foot. interesting from the aquajogging that you can get a real picture of the imbalances which it exaggerates through the water and there is a machine i don't know the name of (cross between a stepper and a rotex with arm levers) which really suits me. this is me trying to find something positive when i'd really rather just go out and run

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    clink - the fall may have weakened the SI joint but the incident that took me out was bang and instant during a gym leg training session
  • Morning,

Worn out by reading Gobi's "ticking over" exercise!

What: 5M inc. 8x400m
    Why: bit of faster stuff before Stratford on Sunday
    Last hard: Last Tuesday
    Last rest: yesterday

After today, it's 2 days more rest then a gentle run on Friday and a very short run on Saturday morning before leaving for Stratford.

Have a good day.

• Morning all, back from my hols with the family in the Crozon peninsula.  Didn't meet anyone English out there for the whole week (apart from my family!) which was something of a surprise, all the other tourists seemed to be French or Belgian.

Managed a few 3-5 mile runs including a bit of beach, trail & hills so it wasn't a complete waste of time.  Achilles still holding up so I'll stop going on about it now & just get some miles in!

clink - Are you crook again?

Hope to get a few miles in after work, so will post later.

• Morning folks.

Lyrics - not today...

Clink - sounds about right!

Had a decent tapering session at the club last night, the last efforts of any substance before Sunday. Session was 2 x 10mins tempo with 4mins walk recovery. Ran the two efforts at 5.35 and 5.37 pace which felt nice and comfortable. Did a couple of relaxed strides afterwards, then stood around in the sun watching the non-FLMers finishing their session of mile reps. It was like a Summer evening, with the biting beasties out in force!

For today...

What: rest
    Why: recovery / taper / 5 days until FLM

Have a great day.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Mike - if you can make yourself relax a little it can help as running more relaxed = more efficiently = less blood required for the legs, therefore more available to the stomach, so you reach a balance to an extent. It is the strain that causes the problems (whether distance or speed or a combination of both), but as you've noted they do reoccur even if you can force yourself to relax. I have found it a little hard to relax when the problem strikes, but with practice I've found I can maintain tempo and keep the tummy in check for a few miles, and even manage to calculate how many miles I've got before a stop will be required. I've had stomach problems in races for years so have looked into it quite a lot and spoken to a number of doctors and nutritionists about it, and the blood supply seems to be the constant theme to what I am being told. Natural physiology apparently. Of course, that's me, yours may have a different cause, but no harm looking into it a bit more.

clink - I read something interesting on Gebreselassie y'day that he apparently does no speedwork on track. All his hard speedwork is apparently done on an exercise bike, and it is one of the things he attributes his longevity to......... I get the impression though it is one of those 'what do you class as speedwork' as the implication was that it is only pure leg speed stuff on the bike, but still.....

What: 6m rec d&d / 90mins easy later.
    Why: Endurance day.
    Last hard: 20 x ~200m reps on road/trail y'day.
    Last rest: 17/03.
    Lyrics: afraid not Imski. Vaguely familiar but I can't place them.

Glad to see folks tapering well. Should be some nice results at the weekend.

Have a good day all image

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

clink, feel for you but you do sound really positive

what: 1 m jog, 6 x 400 fast with 200 rec 1 mile jog

why: schedule

last hard: ?

last easy: yesterday

take care all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning all,

What: Easy 5 miles

Why: Aiming for 30 this week!

Last Hard: ages

Lyrics nope

Have a great day

• What: Excited
    Why: Just booked tickets for London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace. Weh hey!

Track  tonight - block starts ahoy.

Lyrics: err, no.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Lyric - I think so, trying not to google them but may have to succumb later
    Sharkie - snap about the tickets, just been on the website (for Friday - to see the Bolt)
    RFJ - sorry I missed you then, was helping the U11 quadkids measuring long jumps, starting 75m/600m and so on. Although the Basingstoke lot were perched next to you on the bank, I did look out everytime I walked past your team's camp to refuel on tea...

Training - up the club tonight, schedule says pyramids. I hate pyramids. Hope the legs manage...
  • A'noon peeps.

What: 4.5 miles this morning.

Two horses had got out of the adjacent field and were doing a high quality early morning speed session, on the local High School rugby pitch when I passed !

Have  a good one peeps.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    barking up the wrong tree with the lyric, so no, I don't think so...
  • Afternoon,

Just back from my 8x400m (plus mile warm up and mile cool down).  I must be in reasonable shape heading towards the marathon - for the same perception of effort in each rep I got progressively faster.  Kept telling myself off about it and trying to slow down.  Until I got to the last one - as I set off I heard myself think "It's only 400m and it's only Tuesday - it can't do any harm".  Average across all 8 was 1.36.  Eighth was 1.20.

Now it's time for 2 days' rest.  Not planning to run again until Friday.

• Afternoon all,

Clink:  I'll keep on with the bass until the trusty P&D schedule starts on 18th may with 6 weeks of... endurance; so I'm going to be playing bass for a long time.  Glad your keeping your pecker up; if you could bottle your attitude, you'd be very rich.

• What:  10m
    • Why:  bass
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  16/3

Have a good one!

• AF - i thought i was going to be very rich when i checked my lottery on saturday but 4 numbers got me ... £74 and the bonus ball doesn't count till you've got 5 with it, blast and damn. if i had something in a bottle i wish it was a genie and i could have a magic wish !
    6 weeks of endurance sounds just the ticket, enjoy !

you've got me worried now gobi i'll twang something in the gym.  you have made / are making a grand recovery though, i don't think i could ever manage the hours in the gym you do, with or without the running

welcome home 40 mins, i was wondering where you were. glad to hear the hols went well and you're all set to build up the training

sharkie and justin - enjoy the grand prix, should be a fantastic treat !

TT - if it works for heile ...
    anyway i finally got the pool to myself and splashed out a pyramid 1,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 mins hard off 1 min recovery jog which got the HR nicely tazzing and felt good.
    with warm up and down it was a decent session but my T1 is rubbish, getting in a knot trying to get shorts and stuff on and onto the rower. no wonder i was rubbish at tri. made it up to 75 mins session with bikes and cross trainer too. so felt worthwhile and nicely tired.
    the guy who induced me (ow!) is seeing me on thursday to give me some help with the balancing up my wonky bits, this is included in 1st months sub so might as well see how it goes

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭

Sharkie - we went to Crystal Palace last year to watch a Grand Prix.  Very enjoyable.

40 mins - your holiday sounds nice.  Did you get to do much running?

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Clink - have to agree you have a good positive attitude, Keep at it and the good times will come again

40 - sounds a great holiday i had to googlee it as i had never heard of it.

Sharkie - Very nice

What: 8.35 miles easy
    Why: Depositing a few aerobic miles
    Last Hard: sunday
    Lyrics: not a clue

Very warm out even at 3pm, but all good practice. tried to keep it easy as possible average HR 131 which is good for me

• Hi Folks,

Not got a clue on the lyrics as usual!!

Clink - Scobos has perfected the art of watching me work!!!         It's hard not being able to run but the x-training really shows great strength and determination, once you get back to running you'll wonder what all the fuss was about!!

What: more visits to coffee shops

Why: tapering and can't be bothered doing anything else!!

• SticklessStickless ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Clink, hang in there.  I admire anyone who can stick with gym work.  With or without running.  

Welcome back  40 minutes.

Did get out for a run this morning.  The challenge was simply to get out.  I ran my shortest loop at a very slow jog.  Ishkabible, I ran it.  No dizzies either. No running tomorrow, as I'm heading up north, but hope to have a trot along the canal through Kiveton Park with first class company on Thursday - a huge black lab, whose special talents include picking up pound coins and credit cardits from a polished floor, taking your socks off (and throwing pedigree pedicure into the service for no extra charge - if you can stand it!), and mousing.  No cats required. (He's my pal's Dog for the disabled).

Turns out that the funeral I thought was this Friday is in fact the following Friday, so I will be hanging around FLM expo in the middle of the day (this) Friday, dishing out Foulees de la Soie flyers.

Keep calm everyone, and nobody break themselves.

• Evening all

What:  7ml, inc 6x 1000m @ MP
    Why: good question.  I thought I'd done all the hard work, but this sess seemed far harder than it should have done, and that despite my resting HR having gone down to its most recovered/rested lowest.

• TMR - It always feels hard during the taper, will be fine on the day.

What:  5 miles earlier this evening
    Why:  Building back

Club run tomorrow

• Evening all, 

Gobi: Glad to see the comeback continues apace
    RFJ: well raced
    Dustin: Sounds like you enjoyed the PW despite some meteorological challenges!
    Sharkie: enjoy the GP

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to race on the track this summer, after my coach suggested that I should try some 3k chase / 5k races this year. Decisions decisions.
    Sharkie, I thought of you last night when my coach got his sprinters to run a 800 race with the endurance side of the group, the howls of protest over covering two laps of the track was quite entertaining! My 2:13 was pleasing enough considering I do no actual speedwork image

What: 8m easy
    Why: club night and taking it easy between last nights impromptu 800m race and tomorrows 5 miler.