The Long Green Tape Measure......

Comments

• Hi Sydney image - well done on your goal-setting. It may not have been a good week food-wise, but you have acknowledged it and weight loss can start here. 

Hi BBS - good luck on your bike commute.  Weigh in is more realistic if you weigh yourself first thing in the morning, starkers, after the loo.....  then you can see how dehydrated you are after your cycle.

Hi mr sj, and foxy image

Rodeo CLownz - I hope the piriformis gets better soon.  I had problems there last year.

Welcome GFB image

I have never read the losing it thread - hope people aren't thinking I have ripped it off......

• How long for your piriformis to clear up Vixx?
  • morning everyone, hope your all fit and well and chocolate free (apart from foxy lady and her profiteroles!)

my friday morning weigh in -

• friday 17 april - 12st 9lb
    • friday 24 april - 12st 3lb image

im usually a bit of a grazer and eat all day but ive been really good this week and been doing loads of running and its paying off. hope everone else is doing well

• wow, good losing mr sj!

I'm just about to leave work so have a great weekend everyone, i hope to report back on monday with more virtuous eating over the weekend!

•   Weigh in- 2lbs off this week, quite a lot to go. How did Mr sj do that? I've run 33 miles, been really good and lost just 2, men just have it easy. image (that's green with envy).

Vixx- there's a thread called Losing it with Nam and Bear- been going about a year, I lurked for a long while then joined around Xmas and put on about 5 lbs! Lots of training andhealthy eatiing is discussed amongst other things, and occasionally weightloss. Over time it has gained in charm and kind of mislaid its purpose a little.  It's a great thread and I don't think they'll feel ripped off in any way!

Good luck Sydney, hope next week goes better for you. It's keeping the motivation up that's the hard part. I have a firend visiting from Canada soon so that's another goal for me to lose for as I haven't seen her for 18 months, probably since I started training seriously altho' she has seen the odd race photo in that time.

Must do some work now I'm here. So nice not to run today but need a sports massage desperately.

have a good day/ weekend folks.

• weigh in april 24th - 10st 2lbs image

weight goal - 8st 7lbsimage

target date - sept 13th for robin hood marathon

good luck everyone!

• Hi

Weight isnt really my problem... body fat is.  I am 5'7" and weigh 10.10, so not that heavy.  However I have too much body fat.  I go to the gym 4 times per week, spinning, circuit, plus I run twice per week.  Ive just joined a running club because my personal trainer told me the best way to shift my body fat is through running.  so.... im hoping running will be my saving grace and help me shift the fat.  I dont eat choc, crisps, cakes etc.  I eat a healthy diet, can only assume its the latte and alcohol (though I dont drink that much).  Portion size could be a prob for me too, so ive just invested in some food scales.

• Bike commute went well. Loved it. 55 minutes at leisurely pace. Feel great.imageErrr...weight on scales this morning pre-commute was 13stone 1lb so I have lost 9lbs in two weeks, though that did include the crash diet in week 1. image Even better, trousers felt loose when I put them on after bike commute this morning. imageSo:-

BBS - M - 39 - TWL: 2.5 stone - WLTD: 1 August 2009 - WWL: 3lbs - TWL: 9lbs

• Well done BBS, glad you got in safely! Even better that your trousers are feeling comfy, you'll be needing a new belt before you know it!

• well done on the weight loss everyojne image

foxy lady - think ive lost a  lot this week as im usually terrible with picking and eating all day, ive been very strict and good this week. next week will no doubt slow down the weight loss a little

• And foxy bear in mind mine involved a crash diet for 5 days in week one which is not recommendedimage
  • I'm liking this thread for motivation. Consumption so far today = nil other than 2 cups of black coffee. Vixx is going to tick me off  I know so I am off (via the bike shop) for a hearty lunch now...image
  • Are you all 'weighting' for me??? image

Have lost 1 lb this week, so I am quite happy with that, especially being as I had a bad food day yesterday being out working in Manchester all day.

• Friday's Thought for the Day....

Are you drinking enough water?

We are continually being told that we need to drink more water, but did you realise that if you are dehydrated, your body will not use water for fat burning?

Think of fat burning as trying to boil an egg.  If there is no water in the saucepan, then the egg will not boil.  If you are not drinking enough water, then what water you do have will go toward other more important functions in the body - of which fat loss is not one of them.

Also, water is utilised in digestion, so your food will not digest efficiently if there is not enough water in your body.

It is suggested that you do not drink too much with a meal however, as it can dilute stomach acid, making it ineffective.

Coffee, tea, redbull and coke do not count in anyone's water intake, despite what is on the side of nescafe jars....

My rule of thumb is that for every caffeinated drink you have, drink a glass of water after it.

• I don't recommend crash dieting at all - you lose too much water and tissues, and very likely NO fat at all.  It won't help your running either.

However, well done on the weight loss mr sj and BBS. image

Rodeo CLownz - my piriformis was knacked on both hips.  Very long story but I did 2 maras and a half mara in 29 days last year.  Left piriformis went on last training run before first mara. Rested etc and it went again halfway around Berlin, so I limped the rest of the way.  Rested and iced it and had massage/physio before GNR, where it went again after 3.5 miles, so I did the same.  Had three weeks physio, rest and ice etc on it before I went to Dublin and the right one went at 18 miles, but the left one was fine.

Rehabbed them both continually and was ok after about a month.  Still get a niggle now, but is much better.  Yours might not take so long to heal.  I am pretty sure mine came about from the sheer amount of weight I am carrying that is surplus......

• Hi Paula, and welcome to the thread.  Friday is weigh in day, but in your case, do you have the opportunity to get your body fat read regularly?  I don't want to encourage unneccessary weight loss if your issue is body fat, so we can help you differently if you want?

Will your PT read your body fat for you? Can he do that regularly? 

Do you have any particular goals in mind?

• Kelly - why the image ?

Nothing to be embarrassed about here at all.  image

Every day is a new day and we all have bad ones occasionally. 

My aim here is to motivate and educate where possible - after all knowledge is power. image

• Hi image

Im new to this, training for the GNR but only really started in the last month - but got from being unable to run for 2 minutes to doing 5 miles pretty easily !

I weighed myself this morning and was 9.9 stone. My goal weight is to be 8.7, and i have to say this is the first time in my life that i've done weight loss healthily! i run about 5 days a week and am loving it, i have a generally healthy diet anyway btu im trying to satisfy cravings instead of giving in.

Well done on all the weight loss everyone! I am very jealous i have to say!

• that 'got' was meant to be 'gone' image
  • Becki - no need to be jealous at all.  If you are enjoying a healthy diet, then you will achieve your aims, and at 9.9 stone, I think most of us will be envious of you to be honest......

Welcome anyway image

And don't forget to join us on the main GNR 2009 thread either.......

• will do image thank you for the welcome!
  • Afternoon all image

A massive WELL DONE to everyone who's lost weight this week, and to anyone who hasn't - don't give up!

If it's any consolation, I am fully confident that when I weigh in tomorrow, I WILL have put on weight after a week's worth of cakes & biscuits ;-)

• Birthday weeks are allowed Yeti image

Think we all put weight on then...... December is a continual battle for me.....

How are you? Feeling good?

• Vixx76 wrote (see)
    I don't recommend crash dieting at all - you lose too much water and tissues, and very likely NO fat at all.  It won't help your running either.
    imageimageimageimage
  • It's not meant to have been a nag BBS - sometimes it does help to kick start weight loss, but you might feel pretty crappy afterward and you might not have the energy to exercise, and exercise plays a big part in helping to shift weight, tone up, make you feel good, get you fitter and so on.

If you haven't got the energy it's a downward spiral from there image

We want a fit and happy BBS so that he can achieve his aims...... image

• Afternoon folks.

So glad that you have allowed 'Birthday week let-off'' Vixx  image   I haven't really tried to stop eating anything this week.  In fact I was given a box of Milk Tray and some Ferrero Rocher image.  Not doing too badly with them (I still have some left !).   Will need to wait til after FLM  weekend before getting stuck into a diet. (not running it),  I'm away this weekend til Tuesday pm.

BBsloth - eating at lunchtime?  Is that part of your new regime?  Oh, btw tooo many TWiddles and Widdles in your  reporting facility -  But feel free to TWiT and WiT (or whatever if you wish!) image and well done in already losing a chunk.

Well done mr SJ, and others - Will get to know you all better as we go along image

Weight loss this week = 0 image (positive mental attitude!)

• Loving the PMA RLTW imageimage

Negativity is banned in here.  You can only allow negativity IF you turn it into a positive statement......

Everyone agree?

For example:

''I put on 2lbs this week and I hate that I've done no exercise, but I shall do my best to lose 2lbs next week by being as active as I can.''

• image errr PMA a toughie for the grim reaper here Vixx/ RLTW but I'll try image have changed my forum name again like last yearimage

I know you weren't nagging Vixx, I was just trying to be humorous.image

RunLikeTheWind (Hurricane in training!) wrote (see)
    BBsloth - eating at lunchtime?  Is that part of your new regime?  Oh, btw tooo many TWiddles and Widdles in your  reporting facility -  But feel free to TWiT and WiT (or whatever if you wish!) image and well done in already losing a chunk.

Yeah thought I ought to spread the eating over the day instead of having a binge of chocolate and stodge at the end of each day like I was doing.