Aerobic Base Training and Anerobic Sports

Hey all, I'm about to start my winter aerobic base training i.e. slow and steady in the pool, on the bike and on the run. It will consist of about 9 hrs a week of swim/bike/run and a couple of trips to the gym for a spot of resistance training. Can't wait :-|

My question is, for FUN I like to play footie (1hr) and squash (30 mins) once a week with my mates, as these are predominantly anerobic (short distance sprints) will these have a negative effect on my aerobic base training? Or will the positive mental aspect of doing something I enjoy that combats the boredom of tri base trianing be more beneficial?

Thanks
TriBetter

Comments

• DazDaz ✭✭✭
    It's funny because I used to play in a small football (civil service) for a couple of seasons, as well as play mates and my local leaisure centre club league-table.

However, once I started swimming, cycling, running and using the gym as well, I found that my bosy couldn't cope with all of these activities at the same time. I decided it was time to move on, and scrapped the football and squash (although once or twice a year I may get the old racquet out!)

If you can cope with it all then great mate. But personally I'd be surprised if you could manage 9 hours of base tri-training as well as footie and squash.

The thing about squash is you will develop your fast=twitch fibres slightly more and your muscles will have to go through very quick movements, sometimes involving twists and turns on your feet. I found that this was a direct clash with what your leg muscles are trying to adapt to when running (aerobically), and would either injury myself (twists and sprains) occasionaly or find my legs were too tired/sore for a few days after to indulge in anything else. The same goes for football. I gave up football because there was a greater chance of getting injured (unfort we did play on a hard surface I have to admit) and I didnt want that to affect my new found interest in running (competitively).

See how you get on anyway. But personally I think you may have to drop at least the squash or football if you want to do anything near 9 hours of swim, bike, run a week.
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner
  • Hey Daz,
    you're probably right, and I'll probably give up the squash soon and take it real easy at the footie and see how that goes. Pity though.

3 or 4 months base training, how do people stop getting bored stupid, what do they do to keep it fresh?

Thanks
    Tri Better
  • DazDaz ✭✭✭
    you'll prob miss it a bit at first partic the team side of it. But I'm glad I made the switch and obviously feel a lot fitter now than when i played just squash and footie. It's the two days after a good squash or football session that are the toughest - your muscles just cant cope with the overload from the other sports :O(

ive never been bored. i do throw in a few tests of my own (gym mainly) to keep keen. Try some of the dbmaz, x-zone challenges. dont know the links off-hand but you can search on the internet.
    Endurance Coach @ DazCarterFitness.com
    Elite Ironman, Ultra Trail Runner