New Forest Marathon

I've never started onr of these before - but here I am - have just entered ...........ran Paris last Sunday and LOVED IT !!!............love the whole big city thing but equally a big a fan of the smaller more local events ....this one fits the calendar just right, looks like a superb course, within a couple of hours of my front door ...what more can a boy ask for ?

Cheers

Dave

Comments

•  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/18/18_3_110.gif This maybe interested.Inthink abaout it.If I did that make 20th Marathon or give a take?

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZRman000
  • JohnFolJohnFol ✭✭✭
    So Dave, not knowing the new forest too well, is the course particularly hilly, flat, gravelly . .?
  • Hi John

I don't know the area - but they have a have a profile on the web site and it looks like a rolling course with a high point of 80M - which i actually prefer to pancake flat which gets a bit monotinous over 26M

D

• Hi,

I'm debating whether to enter. I haven't done a marathon before so I'd like to find an easy , friendly course as my first, preferably in the country as I love the countryside - anyone who's done this before do you think this fits the bill? Thanks E

• Hi

Ellen - the friendship and feeling that "we are all in this together" is just huge in  all the smaller Autmun events it is one of the very best parts of being a runner and you'll find huge encouragement where ever you run !!!!!

Personal i perfer the quieter countryside races than the roaring crowd of London where at times it is deafening (but i loved Paris)  ....also very happy running on my own or with just one or two around me which is likely at the new Forest

so i guess i haven't really answered your question !!!!!!!.........other than to say I'm sure the people who join this forum will be able to advise and encourage you throughout your training ......

Dave "fence sitter" Stamp

• Thanks Dave,

I recently did Bath 1/2 marathon and even though I enjoyed the buzz of completing it and being with fellow runners I also prefer running in the country with just a few people encouraging one another, but, I equally can run by myself without an ipod! Look forward to hearing from others before making the final commitment though - I'm going to need a little more encouragement first! Ellen x

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Just entered, this will be my 14th Mara and 3rd this year.... looking forwards to it already....
  • Just entered - will be my first marathon.

Slightly apprehensive....

• Hi all, this was my first mara back in 2006. The course has changed slightly since then, but it certainly isn't flat. From memory there was a long drag uphill at about 18-20miles. Excellent race, beautiful scenery & friendly, despite the fact that I had a torrid time (first mara, set off WAY too fast & paid dearly for it at about 18 miles, just in time for that long drag uphill). I can recommend it. The race that is, not setting off too fast.
  • did this race last year - very hot day but a lovely course. they had the pony drift in the morning before the race - was quite amusing to pass ponies in the middle of the road. image
  • Hi folks,

I done the half last year and loved the course. Have now been inspired watching London this morning and am just about to enter for the full this year. Will be my 2nd marathon (hope my knees hold up this time)! I found the course profile looks more intimidating than it actually felt on the day. I would recommend this race to everyone, scenery is amazing!

• Hi all.

Just taken the plunge and entered after weeks of dithering which course to make my marathon for this year. This should be a nice halfway house between the last 2 - the massive hills of snowdon, then the pancake flat amsterdam!

anyone who's done this before - how does the course stack up in terms of your pbs?

• Hi guys , just entered today after much indecision imagesimilar to you MP .Mainly concerned about fitting training in the summer in .But hey ho here we go.Now must go and look for some summer halves to fit in the training :image

MP -Although I havn't run the full, Ive had a fairly good time on the half and a friend did a fairly decent PB on it a few years ago .

• oh dear!

checked the entry details and i'm in - it's official!

the good thing about these autumn maras is that the long runs cam almost always be run in the light, and all that lovely off road forest track to practice on!  not many 20 mile races around though

• I've bitten the bullet and sent off my form this morning!
  • Hi Guys

I Noticed i wasn't on the entries list so i contacted JAND and they said ..and i quote .....

"We have not received any online entries from the organisers. You have a RW

confirmation to confirm your entry, we will include you as soon as we

receive the data."

Just in case any one else is in the same boat !!!

Meanwhile I can't make my mind up if i should aply for London 2010 ( I'm lukcy enough to have run the GFA qualifying time so i would get a place if i wanted it) ..........

Every post i make on this forum starts with (and normally ends as well with) I'm not sure, or i can't make my mind up ......I've gone into indecision melt down ............send help !!!!!!!!.......

not sure if i should this now - can't make my mind up

• That's it - I'm in!!! It will be my first marathon and I'm pretty confident I'll be ok at the moment. Saying that, I haven't told anyone yet imageWait and see how the training goes. There's Bristol 1/2 on 6/7th Sept which I'm going to do on the lead up, so it's all prepared! Arghh! Even got the garmin and I'm very excitedimage
  • if anyone fancies a really good run in early sepetmber as a warm up/long run, i would recommend the roman run - 16 miles from brecon to merthyr tydfil, including going up and over pen y fan - the first 6 miles are uphill!

great training event - done it last 2 years as preparation

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    The GFA closes in Aug for VLM 10, coz I thought of that too, but had to ditch that plan...... still running though as if do run 3:15 will be a GFA for 2011.
  • Fingercross That will be my 18 or 20th Marathon since 2 massive BP so far of Blackpool-4H.45 and 2nd London-4H.50 and Elite Lincoln 10K of 45minutes that 3 minutes off last Year.It will be interested because its not far from Southampton and Portsmouth.Bring it on.4 Weeks time The Needles
  • Ellen, Dave et al,

Yep, I'm in for this one! The disappointment of my London run is already a thing of the past, as I want to get back to enjoying my running..... What better way than to enter this cracking looking 'multi-terrain' marathon! Looks very scenic and with 500+ runners, should be very enjoyable! The Mother-in-Law lives around the corner, so I may even get a post marathon roast if I play my cards right!

Hopefully, we can muster a core of regular posters on this thread and make it an enjoyable experience for one and all!

Happy Running,

Safety29.

• Finally admitted I've entered to a mate today! Feeling great and ready for my 2nd 14 miler on Sunday! Also checked out running on my hol in Kenya which won't be easy but is possible so it's all on!! The marathon sounds fab and I can't wait! Any advice on how quickly to increase the long runs would be appreciated. I've looked at training plans but never found these particularly realistic. Looking forward to more chats! E
  • Hi all

I was chased by a bunch of mean looking cows this AM on my long run ..........now in theory Cows are meant to be afraid of me but these ladies hadn't read the text book and they just chased me out of their field ...and boy  they could cover the ground ...........good for my speed work ....thoes new forest ponies will have a tough act to follow

Ellen running in Keyna sounds great fun - and lets face it there have been a few quick runners come from that area ......you may need to think a little bit about safety and I'd recomend that you don't run alone .......Last year we went on hols in Morroco and running along the beach in the morning was one of the big highlights - a whole bunch of locals joined in ...........

Cheers

D

• HELP!! Now not happy. I started following a marathon training plan and took their advice to increase the distance of my long run yesterday so went from 14 to 16 miles (about 15-20 mins extra). I got sharp knee pain at about 12 miles which went after a minute but then returned at the end and now it's pretty constant - I've got no experience in marathon training but something's gone wrong! Any suggestions??

PS Thanks for your tip D, I'm going to get a rape alarm, but at the moment I'm not considering running - hope the pain goes tomorrow, not that I'm inpatient!

• Hi all.

Ellen, get some ice on it and try a couple of ibuprofen - hopefully just a twinge - did you land awkwardly or change terrain yesterday?

sort of started my schedule this weekend. got 10 miles of mountain running on saturday, then an 11 mile beach/dunes effort on sunday. going to start following a proper schedule in june, also hoping to break 5 and 10k pbs by early july before the big mileage comes!

hot summer anyone?

• Thanks Mr Phil, I hope you're right. 3rd lot of ice about to go on! Didn't change terrain, although I have been doing more off-road recently but that was to try to help me knees!!!

Bring on those blissful early summer mornings!!

PS I'm on the case Lucie

• off road takes some getting used to - could be a change of camber.  I knew on ebloke who would run the same route every morning before work - 5 miles across the beach and back along the shore  - he got a bad knee as one leg was always at an angle on the slope of the beach and the other wasn't on the way back!

i do most of my stuff off road, so think i've got used to it!

• Hi Lucie

have done the survey (hope i passed) ........I travelled to Paris the day before the race ...got held up at the Tunnel and then lost on the motoway outside Paris so only just made the expo with minutes to spare .......almost didn't get to run at all..................Have a mate who spent hours the Sat before Berlin queueing for his number and ran badly the next day ...........all of which says you should travel out 2 days before the race ..........and in theory travel back the day after ............so that's 3 nights overseas which will blow a hole in £500 in any big Euro city ..........

For the folk doing New York they are in effect running at 04:00 in the morning their time - which isn't going to produce the best time !!!!!

So people of the New forest - we have the best possible start time...in late Sept we are likely to have excellent Weather ......we poss need one over night depending on where you travel from ....we have an uncrowed start so you can hit your pace from the off .........

It's offical the New forest is better than any of the 5 Majors

D

• Ok, I'm now resigned to realising this pain isn't going away quickly! At least I've got loads of time between now and the marathon so I'm hopeful! Going to see a physio friend tonight and for once I'm going to listen as I really want to do this marathon. I've resigned myself to minimal exercise (I'm talking 30 mins on a crosstrainer!) for the time being. Guess there are worse things in the world that could happen and I've got my final year research proposal to do.

Did anyone else get problems when increasing their distance?