Walkers In Running Races

Having read some of the Great North Run threads on the poor instances of being blocked by chains of walkers lining the road, I would be interested to hear what people think about those who take part in RUNNING races with no intention of actually running ANY of it.
Should they have the same right to entry as those intending to run? Or should they stick to walking events?
Should they declare their intention to walk on the entry form and should they be made to start at the back?

Comments

• Everyone should be as considerate as everyone else. Respect those around you and don't assume you're the only people out there.

Sure they can enter, just don't get in other people's way!
  • Should they have the same right to entry as those intending to run?

---Yes, anything which encourages people to be active, and will possibly encourage them to run it next time is a good thing.

Or should they stick to walking events?

---There are not a huge number of walking events which are accessible to a lot of people, so I don't think that would be in keeping with the spirit of sport being inclusive.

Should they declare their intention to walk on the entry form and should they be made to start at the back?

---YES!
  • and should they walk on the left - yes!!

• OK so I run walk most if not all my races and it doesn't matter if its a marathon or a 10k. But I am alway sconsiderate to the faster runners. At Orpington this year I set off to fast, had to walk through a a narrow single file field and regularly stepped into the stinging nettles at the side so that the faster runners could pass. I came in the top 25% in the end so was still very pleased.

I agree that if pen numbers are given then you should stick to them. Maybe the organisors should police Pens a little better so that everyone has a good and fair race. When you enter and put your expected start time you should stick to your allocated pen. In smaller races I tend to aim for the middle of the pack so that I don't bolt. I bolted at Orpington and paid for it and I bolted at the Harbour Wallbanger (was in third place at the end of mile one and finished in 67th place at mile 4, totally shattered).
  • If you look at the Wilmslow Half Marathon, it's stated on the entry form that there is a cut off time. Anyone walking in the first 8 miles is unlikely to make the cut off, and will be taken out of the race.

They do understand that people might have to stop for a breather in the latter stages and this is fine.

I think that's fine. It's clear from the outset, and it's fair on the marshals who give up their own free time to help us out in the event.

In other events, it's people being stupid.
    Blocking the road is not a clever idea, and would they want that to happen to them if they were running behind or driving ? I think not.
  • I have absolutely no objection to people walking in running races providing:

i) They are considerate to the runners and do not impede them.

ii) They are considerate to the marshals and don't keep them out too long. marshals are volunteers and without them we couldn't enjoy our races.

iii) They start in the appropriate place for their expected finishing time, which is likely to be at the back.

Often these walkers graduate to become runners and anyway they are probably doing the best they can. Ours is the best and friendliest sport in the world, let us all be considerate of others.
  • Interesting that on the long distance walks I've done, runners are welcome and a great addition to the event. Normally they start later than the walkers, but the walkers always give way to the runners. No friction at all, that I've noticed. And there's a time limit for the walkers. Agree that in primarily running races, walkers should start at the back and not impede the runners.
  • LindyLindy ✭✭✭
    It's not always walkers who are the most inconsiderate.- I did the New forest marathon this weekend. The course is over narrow country lanes which are open to traffic. I was surprised to see large groups of runners (5-6 across) Holding up large queues of traffic. I'm sure it gives runners a bad name with the locals, and I wasn't enjoying running next to all those almost stationary exhaust pipes either.
  • I ran the Lake Vyrnwy Half last week. Walkers started half an hour before the runners, and it worked very well indeed - they kept to the left and mutual grunts of encouragement were passed.

Some of them were bl@@dy fast too - I passed the lead pair somewhere around 10 miles (I was 183rd in 1:33) - they finished ahead of a lot of runners.

The real problem comes in events like the GNR or last year's Reading half. A combination of poor organisation/control of starting positions and naivity or lack of race etiquette caused a lot of problems with walkers starting in front of runners, or runners going off too fast and stopping. I don't think it will ever be avoided in mass participation events.
  • I have no problem with walkers in any race, I'll be run walking this weekend my self.

However, I will be starting at the back, I'll walk on the left and I won't walk 3 a breast in the middle of the road.
  • I've just got to reply to this. I only took up running this April and have done two races so far. My first 10K is coming up in a few weeks and I expect I shall have to walk a small part of this. Having done two previous races, I now know that I should start at the back of the pack and keep to the left when walking. However, newcomers/beginners don't always know this, so it is up to the race organisers to spread the word.

Somebody has just written:

"Often these walkers graduate to become runners and anyway they are probably doing the best they can. Ours is the best and friendliest sport in the world, let us all be considerate of others." This is soooo true. Having spent time competing in horse shows, I was very suprised at just how friendly and supportive other runners can be at competitive events (anybody who has spent time at horse shows will understand this statement!)

Some walkers are inconsiderate - but others of us are just learning to run and learning the ropes. And gasping in admiration as you serious runners zip by ;0)

Het
  • I have to say that the walkers in the GNR slowed me down considerably. I'm no great speed merchant and this was my first half marathon, so started at the back of the 1hr 50mins zone, but felt a bit let down by the walkers who took it upon themselves to start at the front of the field. How do you get passed people walking 3 abreast in the middle of the Tyne Bridge? I was promised double sponsorship money by some people if I finished in under 2 hours, but because I ended up zig-zagging at an uneven pace through the field, I couldn't reach that target. The GNR half-marathon ended up being more like the GNR three-quarters marathon after the amount of zig-zagging ground I covered!
  • Berlin marathon has an entry category for Power Walkers and they take their walking seriously.

I have no problem with people walking, I've had to resort to it myself on occasion. Just as long as they keep out of the way and don't hinder the runners.
  • I've watched a lot of races. I've seen runners being pretty inconsiderate of other runners. You don't have to be a walker to do that.

I've walked in running races. Odd isn't it? It's never been a problem, not that I've been aware of. I start last and finish last. Curious, maybe there's something in that.

Best experience ever: a series of races (Les Foulees de la Soie) over a fortnight with a well thought out revised route especially for walkers. At the time I walked with a pair of sticks. We clapped and cheered the runners past us. As the fortnight went on, some of the runners, and by no means the slow ones only, started clapping and cheering for me as they went past.

I would like to tell those runners what a profound effect their cheering had on me. Those wonderful runners gave me back my life. Long before I got back my able body, they gave me back my able mind. Their encouragement gave me the determination to keep trying. Because of them, as soon as I could walk, the very first day, I ran - only a hundred yards, but I ran. Since then running has been the cornerstone of my life.

Mix runners with walkers? Yes, I think, could be a good idea.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    I think it all boils down to being considerate. If you know you can't run 10k without walk breaks you basically don't start in a place that will impede those who intend to run all of it.

I have no problem with people walk/running a 'running' race, but I do think those who walk the whole way are in the wrong event!

I believe that there should be cut off times for events because the marshalls are sometimes out there a mighty long time. I Rpersonally feel if someone is taking 4 hours to complete a half marathon they are not ready to be taking part in a running race of that distance.

However if the race welcomes people who walk the event then maybe they should take the word run out of the event title and call it something like the Great North Get Round! To be fair it seems to be wrong these days to believe that a running race is about training to run it!
  • If anyone's done the L2B charity bike ride there is a similar problem with riders who can't do hills, who get off and then block the road to all those who want to or can climb. It's bloody annoying but you get used to it - usually by the time you get to Ditchling Beacon (the hardest climb) the non-climbers have seen some sense (and probably taken enough abuse) and stick to the left of the road leaving the right hand side to the climbers.

Mass participation events open to all comers will always cause these conflicts IMHO. It's your call whether you partake.
  • <<Oh no, not this again !>>

My thoughts before retiring to the bunker....

Big is bad.

No such probs at the Swansea 10k etc (and funny how these get such high ratings). Small/medium sized races are so much more enjoyable than big ugly ones. Assuming the aim is to run and have fun, we need to stop behaving like lemmings...

Variety is good.

For very big events such as GNR and FLM its essential to have "runners" of differing speeds just to get the volume of people around the course - 30,000 going at exactly 6 min mile place would create something of a log-jam (fun to watch though !)

Streaming of mixed ability "runners" will of only work though if (i) the start is suitably phased with runners in the right place, (ii) runners behave sensibly - eg allow each other to overtake and (iii) the volume of entries is set at a sensible level (back to my first point)

Definitions.

Like Hilly, I like clear ones but am v.confused by much of what is posted on this forum !

eg "walking" - my preferred mode of transport, leisure activity, basis for a holiday etc. I would'nt swop 10 new pairs of Asics Kyano 9's for my much loved smelly Scarpa Mantras (OK - maybe a little white lie here !).

best not confused with..

"running", "race" etc. As used in terms such as Runners World, Great North Run, Race for Life, URWFRC etc.

(especially during the course of a tricky race/run for which I've trained for months where the clapped-out OFT body is crying out for me to do what I enjoy most !)

Maybe its an age thing ?
  • odd how you get disqualified for running in a walking race, but not the other way round?

After the Bristol half I wrote to "walk the walk" charity to ask for some courtesy from their participants.. I have yet to hear back...
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    oft-you have such a way with your posts, they always make me laugh!
  • Oh gawd i getting worried now!!!!!
    I in windsor half on Sunday, running, walking, dragging myself round for charity. I didn't know you had to walk on the left. Does one indicate or something to show they are about to collapse in a heap?
    I know i will have to walk a lot of the way. I not in it to win i in it to raise money for a good charity. I realise i will have to start at the back.
    Please very experienced runners remember we all have to start somewhere i only been running since April and this will be my 1st race but i worried now don't want some speedo cursing me coz i had to stop suddenly to breathe:(
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    It's great you're doing something very worthwhile both for yourself in terms of fitness and for a charity. However, this is exactly what I mean about are you really ready to tackle a 1/2marathon?

Yes I agree, we all do have to start somewhere and I remember my first race, which was 5 miles and I had to walk a couple of times, but I chose a low key race where I was unlikely to be in anyone's way having started at the back and finishing one but last.

I hope your race goes well for you and no I don't think anyone expects you to do hand signals. It's unlikely you'll get in anyone's way if you're starting at the back. I think the run/walkers that faster runners have moaned about are those who start too far forward in a race knowing they are in the wrong start place. There should be room for everyone in any race, we just need to be considerate!

• i think there is a difference between using a valid run-walk technique to get through a race, and simply "walking" in a race. I know that lots of people were annoyed at very slow walkers in the various Flora Light Challenges at the amount of walkers who jammed-up narrow courses. Maybe organisers should stress on the entry forms/race details that walkers should get themselves over the the left, and maybe marshalls should be a bit more rigorous about enforcing it before we have several "race-rage" incidents :~)

Hilly has a good point about knowing whether you're ready for a long-distance event before actually starting it.
  • My eldest daughter race walked the GNR on Sunday in 1:43. She said she'd have gone faster but for all those pesky slow runners who got in the way :-)))

Serious point. Consideration is paramount whether you're a walker or a runner. I always still start right at the back in long fell races, simply because I have my own agenda which involves an very steady even pace at the beginning - and I don't want to get in the way of anyone else
  • The event is called The Great North RUN, there were probably hundreds of 'Runners' who couldn't even enter because walkers had entered under the guise of a runner.
    Doesn't matter though if you walk and/or run as long as you are giving it 100% which a lot of those walkers were not, a lot were well capable of doing so much better and they should not delude themselves that they did The Great North Run, the medal means nothing in reality.

But for anyone who entered (GNR or any other event) and gave it 100% or more I have only admiration, no matter how long it took! They can hold their medal with pride, knowing in their heart they met the challenge.
  • Did the New Forest half on Sunday. Had no problems with anyone walking it, as they were all on the left, or up on the grass verge. At around 1-3 miles I had quite a few problems getting round REALLY slow runners who were running 3 or 4 abreast and wouldn't move over/leave a gap (I did it in 2:15, so I'm not exactly speedy myself - and I started pretty near the front of the 2:15-plus pen, the last one, so I think anyone I passed going so slowly at 1-3 miles was clearly being optimistic with their positioning!).

I did feel, though, that the walkers were extremely good about letting people go past, but that the slow runners were just indignant that anyone should try to pass them...

Later on in the race there were no problems - walkers and slow runners kept well over. Is this because both groups who were still ahead of me at this point were obviously faster/more experienced runners who'd run out of puff/injured themselves, but knew how to behave?
  • The Great South Run has very colourful numbers for predicted times, which should ensure that people position themselves in the correct time zone, I'm guessing GNR had the same, how did it work out at GNR?
    Obviously it doesn't stop people fibbing on their entry in the first place.
  • For the record my daughter has a sub 1:30 half and a sub 3:20 full to her name as a runner - so I think she was probably justified in entering. The walking bit was becuase she's planning to take part in some proper race walk events in the US on her way back to Oz.

I think people enter events like the GNR for all sorts of reasons. Most of it has nothing to do with competitive running, and I guess a lot of them enter with no intention of running all or even most of it. But like the FLM its a national treasure thats learned not to take itself too seriously. The serious stuff happens elsewhere. If you want to run a good time there are plenty of good half marathons about.

• gotta say, i kinda agree with fell running.
  • There seems to be two issues here:

Firstly, those who put themselves in faster starting pens and end up walking after 2 miles (and I have met quite a few of these in the 1/2s I have done)- I don't quite know what organisers can do about this, as it is reliant on a) people having a realistic idea of what they can do and b) being honest and considerate to others in the race.

Secondly, we have the (in my opinion!) absolutely valid run/walkers, who either do this method as they are building up their fitness, or use it as a valid (that word again) marathon technique (a lady in our club run/walks marathons in just over 4 hours and recovers in about three days- after she first tried this method she claimed she would never run long distances any other way- and I could never beat her, I know that!). I'd hazard a guess that those who do this technique will be careful of those around them. The others just need educating.

On another note, the first half I did saw me start in the 2:30 pen (I finished in 2 eventually, hurrah!) and I was jostled for the first mile by guys (sorry, but it was not the ladies) sprinting past me, tutting. Well I caught them all up by half way. And they all looked like death (me, vengeful? Nah).

Final recommendation, specifically related to the GNR- although I know this isn't as it should be, the sheer numbers running this race now surely will make it almost impossible to run a PB? As our club leader said last night- 'it was a bit like a bus queue except 13 miles long'.
  • I suppose the problems are caused by only a small number of entrants who have no understanding of what they are getting involved in (the pure mechanics and matmatics of it all) and carry on around the route having their 'party' oblivious of the fact the crowd of spectators aren't there just to cheer them on. The running equivilant of the dreaded 'Sunday afternoon driver' and the guys that barge through tutting at the beginning must be the running 'white van man'

The rest of us can all probably get on together fine.