Training for under 40 min Audi 10k

Going by my 5k time, my predicted 10k time should be 41:30 but I would like to say 42 minutes so that's where abouts I stand at the moment. I've got over 4 months to knock off over 2 minutes, is this possible? The reason I say under 40 minutes for this event is because it's slightly hilly in some parts of the course so it's not a great PB potential unless your fitness is on the increase like mine should be.

Rather than race every weekend or every other weekend, I'd rather do it properly and train for a certain event. I just think that I'll be motivated for that one event and events between then and now will not interfear with my training as I shouldn't be taking part in them.

My BMI is 23.1 and I think that's quite high for a runner. So at 175lbs right now, I'll aim to lose 10lbs by then.

I CAN do this! (advice very very welcome) image

Comments

• I've worked it out, it's 23 weeks to train for. I'm sure 23 weeks is long enough to train for a marathon but I'm putting it towards a 10k image

I'm going to start off keeping the training aerobic and steady. If it's nearly 6 months till this race, then I'm sure with proper prep I can get a better time than my desired target time? Few months of base and then the remainder of that time I can sharpen up.

However, I'm going to need some very wise words from wise runners. When Yifter decides to come back.. MW, Squall too and anyone else looking to have a bash at a 10k or join in for the chat!

• Theres been a few similar threads lately.

Speed work will help you with this - so maybe two sessions of speed work/ intervals a week, and three longer steady runs ?

Listen to your body though and rest up if you arent recovering.

And plan in some 5k races in between to really push you ?
  • Sorry about there being threads similar to this, one being Squalls and with the help of the forum members he was able to achieve his goal. A bit selfish of myself but I really want to achieve my goal and I can keep this thread up to date by logging my training on here etc...

It's like '6 months life of this runner' image

Again this thread can help others, and the good thing is it worked for Squall but may not work for me which could prove how there are not two runners who are the same.

I'm thinking of doing some 5k's between now and then to keep me sharp and to keep my pain threshold strong. I was thinking about keeping the miliage steady for a while first, with maybe some faster stuff closer towards the race. I will be resting if it's needed!

• You cheeky fucker... I'll come to your house in the night and slit your throat for this!

40-50mpw with no speedwork will get you under 40 minutes...

35mpw ish with 1-2 quality sessions will probably also get you under 40 minutes if you schedule it right

60mpw with 2 quality sessions will probably see you under 35 minutes...

110mpw with 2-3 quality sessions will see you under 31 minutes...

Good luck image
  • 110mpw I would need to do my easy runs at 6:00 pace haha. That's faster than my 5k pace! Sorry about taking your idea, you should be proud the tradition is lasting! image

The question is, how much time can I shed off a 10k in the space of 6 months? Depends on a lot though, including my weekly miliage. I currently do 35mpw of whatever, but whatever is not good enough, it needs to be a prepared program! MW is a running coach, so sure he will pop along soon image

• 35mpw HARD would get you under 40 minutes... or 50mpw easy would almost certainly get you under 40 minutes.

Just for curiousity, what's your age, height and weight?
  • 185cm
    175lbs
    Over 7665 days old, not 22 yet image

So you think I've got a good chance of reaching my desired race time Squall? That's with the right training obviously. I am going to limit speedwork and aim to reach 60mpw before my race which is 23 weeks away! Plenty of time?

• If you get to 60mpw, you'll almost DEFINITELY be under 40 minutes...
  • Well looking at the RW 16 week schedule, if I follow that I will reach 64MPW in week 15 but is following those schedules a good idea? Even if I do eventually reach 60mpw, will still be a squeeze as it's only 5 and a bit months away.
  • You'll definitely lose 10lbs if you get up to that mileage as well.

I'd advise taking it very easy though... and try and utilise the consistency of daily running to help your body adapt and improve its ability to recover.
  • A quote that changed my running this last few months:

"What an interesting thread.

I have a few points to make as well:

My feeling is that there is currently far to much emphasis on "completing" a marathon, rather than improving on what you have already achieved.
    I have never run a marathon, and I've frequently asked "when I'm going to run a marathon" or "surely you'd be good enough to run a marathon?" or "which charity are you going to run for?". If I've run a decentish 10k time at the weekend, the emphasis is always on "The Marathon".
    In this country, the ability to go far is celebrated more than the ability to go fast (obviously, if you can do both, then you're just a god ).
    A high mileage schedule can easily be fitted around a hectic life. Until I changed jobs recently, I was fitting in an 80mpw running schedule, 100mpw cycling schedule, 4 gym schedules and home commitments with a 5 hour commute on top of it. My commute is now shorter so I run even more
    I appreciate I am lucky as Gobi is my partner and we are both supportive of each others' running needs and this does help.
    Regarding declining standards, I thought a very interesting illustration would be to look at the results from my local half marathon - White Horse:

20 years ago, 44 runners out of a field of 238 (18.5% of the field) ran sub-80 minutes and 13 (5.5%) broke 75 minutes: http://wwwusers.brookes.ac.uk/p0074093/whhhm1988.htm.
    In the 2008 race, 9 runners out of a field of 383 (2.3% of the field) ran sub-80 minutes and 3 (0.8%) broke 75 minutes: http://wwwusers.brookes.ac.uk/p0074093/whhhm2008.htm
    Why? *Personally*, I think there is too much focus on fancy training techniques with limited mileage:

I used to devise my own speed sessions on limited mileage when I first started running and would get injury after injury.
    When Gobi took over my training, he scrapped all my speedwork and made me run everywhere at 8:30m/m pace (which was torture at the time!) and I was allowed to race XC twice a month.
    I made more improvements then than I've ever made (knocked 2 mins from my 5k pb and 7 mins off my 10k pb in the space of a couple of months).
    And re. women's running. Yes, women's running hasn't shown the same decline BUT I still think women's performances are shocking compared to men's. Don't get me started on the elite start qualification for London (that's a whole other argument ) but I actually feel it's wrong that I can win so many races as a woman in times which are - on a worldwide scale - slow. I would much rather finish 10th running 36:30 than win by 4 minutes running 37:30 (which does often happen). The best race I've had recently was where the first three women finished 4th, 5th and 6th overall and we had a proper race with grit, sweat and (almost) blood. Would this kind of thing ever be witnessed or encouraged in a Race for Life?

Although from a middle-distance and XC perspective, female Brits are doing better than the blokes at the moment, there is definitely far more scope for female improvement on the road running scene."
  • Wow that is impressive, thanks for bringing that post up Squall. Does she still post or Gobi? Some wise words there!

Do you think the blokes focus on too much speedwork then Squally?

• Gobi posts a lot in the 2009 marathon thread... rach doesn't post a great deal, but she's on fetcheveryone if you want to see her training for the last couple of years.

I think people focus too much on speedwork, never mind blokes. I certainly never considered a higher mileage approach with less quality until she suggested it... and I used it to effect a 2 minute drop in my 10k PB....
  • I'm wondering how she dropped 7 minutes for a 10k in the space of 2 months! I remember Yifter saying on one of my posts that if I do 3 months steady than 2 months sharpening up I'll be capable of sub 18 5k and sub 38 10k but not sure of that!

As long as I get sub 40 on this course I will be happy, or should I be aiming for a better time given the time? I don't want to sound like I'm pushing it a bit though, sub 40min for 10k is a very good time to achieve!

I've been so tempted for the steady miliage but speedwork and the odd 5k has got the better of myself. I have to be strong and do this properly. One thing I have noticed is that it's tough to get in high miliage if you are doing two quality sessions each week and racing once a week. Would that not platue a performance?

• I suggest you try it and see.

Personally, I would bin all speedwork and get used to running daily... and try and reach those mileage targets. The weight will come off and you might find yourself surprised at the difference it makes to your times at all distances.
  • My easy pace suppose to be 7:56 to 8:26 minute miles. So if I done my easy pace around 8:15 I think that would go down well. My target is to feel recovered enough for the next day to do the same sort of distance. I think if I done it at 7:56 it wouldn't be too long until fatigue grows.

What's your current schedule Paul? You on 50mpw consistently yet?

• No... i'm still on a niggley hip, so i'm hardly doing anything at all.

I covered 12 miles over the weekend, but that's it.
    Taking it easy now until Netley next sunday.

Why not do all your mileage between 8:25-8:45 minute miles?
  • That pace is a bit slow but maybe it's ideal as it shouldn't fatigue me. Usually 8:00 pace is comfortable for me but yesterday done 10 miles @ 8:05 pace and was struggling quite badly, hopefully just one of those days eh. Though I blame too many hard runs prior to that run. Hard runs are good for whacking you out for days!

Check this out, the RW schedule is advising this for my first week:;

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - Easy 7 miles @ 8:15
    Wedensday - Easy 6 miles @ 8:15
    Thursday - Tempo Run, 6 miles including warm up/down, tempo 4 miles @ 6:56
    Friday - Easy 6 miles @ 8:15
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Long run 11 miles @ 8:15
    Total for 1st week - 36 miles, then the next week is 39 miles, then 41 miles...

Looks like it's just me and you on this thread... image

• Saying it's a bit slow... have you tried running it every day for an hour?
  • UMM intresting thread guys im in a bit of a quandry though,  as you might of seen from my recent posts am aiming for a quick half marathon in late October.

My slight prob is that ive just recently joined a club who do a efforts session on Tuesdays and a tempo type run on a Thursday i also run long and steady on Sundays and steady on a Wednesday.Ave 30 miles pw

Thing is im not sure if doing two quality sessions is doing me any good ? thing is i love doing them with my club, do i need to do more aerobic runs to see a better progression ? Incidently was training for London marathon,  running 40 miles pw mainly steady   for 5 mths   would  this be enough for a decent base?

• Can you sidle round with some of the slower runners/groups at your club on the club nights? I doubt a tempo run will do you much harm... tends to be faster efforts like 8 x 400m, 5 x 1000m that really pile the lactate on that will cause you problems.

Both of you take a look at this:
    http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/BaseTraining.htm
  • 40 miles a week will put you in a bracket with the other runners doing 40mpw.....

The problem is that without any doubt, the winners of any 10k in this country will be doing much higher than that. If you break the results of any race down into brackets from fastest to slowest... you'll find that almost without exception the top runners will be doing the highest mileage.

Obviously the faster you are, the less training time is required to fit those mileages in.

I would say that "Local Hero" to "Elite" mileage for the 10k would probably be looking more like 70mpw.

Don't be in any doubt that the really spectacular runners of distances between 5M and HM will be doing 90+ mpw.

Also look at a lot of marathoners putting away high mileages... many of those who frequent the dizzy heights of 130+ miles in a week will blitz a 10k around the 30 minute mark.

PERSONALLY... I would look to see what you can make of yourself with mileage.... ie. miles and miles until the returns stop coming.
  • 40 miles a week is fine... but the BEST 40 miles a week is never going to beat someone doing 110 miles a week.
  • Thats all well and good sqall but my steady pace is 9.00 per mile ! thus a lot longer training!!!!
  • That's true Paul, though to do 110 miles a week your easy pace would need to be very quick as it's all about time on your feet. We couldn't do that miliage right now due to it taking too long, but the quicker you get the more you should up your miliage in my opinion.

Will take a look at that link, I'm starting to eat badly again...

• 110x 9.00 min /miles- 16.5 hrs a week!!!
  • Ouch!

Going to get the 23 weeks of training started tommorow, starting with an easy run of around 7 - 8 miles. 23 weeks of training for a 10k race which is not PB potential.

Should I do my easy runs on a flat route or a hilly route?

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Chris

I've increased my mileage to 60+ mpw granted i've only done my second week. Always argued the fact about the amount of time need to run a set mileage 100 miles would take me 17½ hours or 2½ hours a day!!!!

70 mpw would take me 12¼ hours on current pace first week spent 11 hours running, 30 minutes longer last week. Thats how i looked at it time on feet knowning once the body adapts i will speed up it'll take time but thats ok you have to be patient too

• Pammie that's a lot of miliage you are on there. What miliage were you on a couple of months back? You taken part in any events since? If so your times must be very good!

7hrs a week of running I am aiming towards, no more than that for the time being.

• Everyone should go see Star Trek.. its fucking fantastic.