(Non running related) pain in the mouth

After 2 abortive attempts by my dentist to remove my tooth which had an abcess under it (I don't seem to "freeze" with the injections), I have now been referred to the hospital to have it seen to under general anaesthetic. The dentist mentioned that the hospital "might be able to treat the root". Are there any dentists out there, or anyone who has had root treatment, who can tell me:

1. If I get root treatment, will this save the tooth?
2. If I get root treatment, is there any chance that I will, in future, be subjected to the excrutiating pain that I had last month - i.e. will the abcess come back? Or is getting rid of the tooth the only way to be sure?

I know I should have asked the dentist, but I was still a bit shaky after the 3 injections I had had, and I would really like to know before I go to the hospital.

Comments

• Hi Nessie, I've had two lots of root treatment and I've still got my teeth. As far as I can tell, only being on the receiving end and not able to feel/see what was going on, they clean out the root and shove some kind of disinfecting thing in there, and this theoretically stops it getting infected again. It obviously works, as I've not had any infections since. A dentist may, of course, be able to explain that more technically!

You can always call your dentist and ask him/her about it when you are feeling a bit less shaky. I'm sure they will be happy to explain how it all works.

How long before you see the dentists at the hospital?
  • Hi Nessie,
    I had root canal treatment about 5 years ago, it took quite a few visits to do the job, as Minnie says they put some disinfecting stuff in then packed it, then did it again and packed it again until the infection went, then she filled it.
    I have had no pain or trouble since but, it worked out very expensive even on the national health......ouch.........
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Good to hear it works, because I would like to keep the tooth if at all possible. I'm still waiting for the letter from the hospital, but the dentist reckoned it would be about 3-4 weeks maximum. I probably will give the dentist a call, or pop in to see him, to find out more.

I'm sort of banking on it not costing - I had my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed a few years ago - again at the hospital - and it was free, beacause it was classed as an operation. It would have cost an arm and a leg at the dentist. Hopefully the same will be the case for this treatment, or Santa won't be coming to Inverness this year!

Thanks for the info.
  • Not that I've ever had one, but I I've heard from reliable sources (i.e. my parents, who have had them), that root canals are fine. They may take a few sessions to complete, but there isn't loads of pain, and when the job is done, it's done. No way should you have to have the tooth removed. I remember that my uncle once chose to have a tooth removed rather than pay the extra for the root canal that would have saved the tooth. So, do get a root canal instead. It's worth extra money if you have to pay it. So much better than the 'English teeth' syndrome!!
  • "Look after your smile"

I had raging toothache a few months ago , found that eating ibruprofen like smarties and a few antibiotics did the trick. Of course I expect the dentist will want to yank the tooth out next time I visit him but that will be in about 5 years time ;)