Friday15th May 2009

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

I always have to comfort you when I'm there
possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

where are the early birds??

will come back later got to get to work and tidy up for visitors....

• Morning All

ABRa'S 10K Race

A scorching morning saw me stood on the start line of the last race of the Dubai racing season. At 0600 on the way to the race my car told me it was 33C and the humdity was clearly high as there was condensation on the windscreen when I started off. With Comrades a week away I had no intention of running too hard but wanted to treat the race as a good Tempo run. With a filed of 350 on a 3 lap narrow winding course along the Marina wall through the hotel gardens and back to the Marina it was very congested at the start particuarly as over half that field were fun runners / walkers but whom with true Dubai attitude where everybody cuts in at the front of the line had started at the front of the grid. At  about 1K I nearly fell as the three guys in front of me decided that running 1K was far enough just stopped and started walking, the lady behind me shoved me in the back as I frantically tried to jump out of the way and I just about stayed on my feet.

The first lap was Ok with spilits of 4-15, 4-18, 4-15 per K but on the second lap as the temperature increased the wheels started to come off, a M50 rival whom I have beaten at every race this year cruised by as I went into survival mode. 3 - 6K was run at around the 4-30 min/K pace. I seriously considered bailing as we went past the water station for the last time, but I started so must finish. The Heat and humidity was now as bad as anything I had ever raced in before and I dropped the pace further trundling along at around 4-50 min/K but starting to pick people off as the field wilted. Finished in 45-22 3rd M50 as usual! Three minutes slower than my last 10K on the same course but then the winning time was also 2-30 slower than 2 months ago. Jumped in my car to come home and the temperature readout was showing 38C!

All in all a good workout 9 days before Comrades and only 3 more runs to do!

What: See above
    Why: I honestly have no idea!
    Last Hard: the third lap today was more than hard it was horrendous
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Yesterdays Lyric: Beatles

Todays: not a clue.

• morning

DD - what  a scrum at the start and then all that in the atmosphere of a sauna, sometimes we should be grateful for this grotty rain we get !  what is forecast for comrades weather - hopefully not that hot and humid ?

enjoyed all the tales of sand pit efforts from yesterday, hidden talents you lot have got
    should be a prize for best field event report this summer
    i once threw the discus and was very pleased to get it to land in the actual pitch

trini - i remember you mentioning tristan before - unbelievable attitude, great spirit and gives us all a reality check, makes us count our blessings

TT - take care. you seem to be finding your limits. hope the ferritin issue can be addressed and resolved

welcome to KW - hope the marathon training goes well for september

as yesterday progressed the DOMS took hold in a big way ! thighs seized and now calves are joining in, bit of a hobble first thing. nice
    foam roller is frightening so a bit more gentle work required to loosen up today. foot ok so far. 
    a more forgiving 5k to look forward to on the near horizon image

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

DD
    Well survived!

clink
    We're following a slightly similar recovery path.  I too had the novel experience of DOMS after last Saturday's 10K.  5Ks are much more attractive at present!

What:  Club track session this evening
    Why:  It's Friday, and a reasonable sharpener for Sunday as long as I keep it under control

Sunday's 10K could be interesting, weather forecast is wet & windy and the course is fairly exposed...

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

DD well battled

What - 3.25 Easy
    Why - racing tomorrow nad maybe Sun
    Last Rest - Yesterday
    Last hard - Sun

Take care

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

DD wow that does sound tough! STart to finish!

What: nothing

why: Moonwalk tomorrow so rest is required

last hard: doing a 2nd run yesterday

last easy: weds

good weekends all!! 

• A'noon peeps.

What:4.5M Steady this morning.

Scobos: Agree re difference in the two halves on Wed night. It simply must be a high tempo and attack from the start tomorrow.

Gobi: Enjoy Denmark.

SL2: The 200m 12 year old age record has 3 contenders !  A 24.53 from 2003, a 23.9 ( with a  question mark after it ) from 1989 and a 24.0 from 1987. Hope that helps.

The British 200m Junior record is still 20.54 by Ade Mafe back in 1985.

Lyrics: No.

Have a good one peeps.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hiya,

What : 5 miles done , easy jaunt down towards Canary Wharf
    Why : trying to get rid of the hangover

have a great w/end everyone

• Afternoon,

What: 5.5M at lunch
    Why: working from home
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: yes

DD - I would have died - well toughed out!

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

DD - I thought I was insane running a 10k race during my taper (on Tuesday) - but you're even more insane than I am!  Even closer to the race and in ridiculously harsh conditions!  Take it easy now!

What: Rest day
    Why: Taper
    Last Hard: Tuesday - 10km in 42:09
    Last Rest: Today
    Lyrics: Nope

3 more runs before Comrades...

• hey clink - good luck with the dreaded foam roller image

dd ; top work hey! when i got off the plane in dubai last june at 9am the air was like hot tomato soup, awesome job for surviving a 10k in that!

What: 20 lenghths of lush gym pool
    Why: mini taper for hereford half mara on sunday
    lyrics:the sound of me munching my way through 520g of carbs a day till sunday morning image

• Evening all,

DD - crazy man, but glad you survived!

Slow Duck - have a great Comrades Hideo, and say hello to Tristan for me just before half way on the left!

What: Easy 4 miles

Why: busy multi weekend ahead run, bike and paddle

Last Hard long time

Lyrics: nope

Have a great evening

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Dubai Dave - great effort in that heat!

Clink - I'm sure the 5k will be a breeze after that run!

Wabo - good luck for the Moonwalk.

Slow Duck - good 10K!! Enjoy your last few runs before Comrades.

Kelly - good luck for the half.

What: 5.5 miles with a few strides - trying to run a little faster.

Good running everyone.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

hi kelly and good luck

good luck comrades too!!

lyrics were You should be stronger than me, Amy Winehouse

staying up late so I can snooze tomorrow afternoon, the bras are very pretty apparently, not seen mine yet will try get a pic on here after moonwalk!