Joint Pain

Is joint pain a common beginner's problem, and does it improve itself over time?

This is currently the limiting factor on how far and how often I can run. (I go out 3 times a week, never on consecutive days, for between 45 - 55 minutes, and swim 3 times a week).

I do most of my running on concrete so I know that doesn't help, and I am also breaking in a new pair of shoes.

(Do new shoes commonly cause joint pain? I got a good quality New Balance shoe to help with stability and pronation).

Just wondering about other runners' experiences with joint pain and how long it takes your joints to adjust to running.

Steph

Comments

• Steph

This is probabley not going to help much. I've been running for just 11 days now, I've been out 6 times on a every other day basis, By the end or each run (25 mins combined walking and running) my knees are beginning to grumble(slight pain to front and just beneath knee), though they aren't too bad and normally OK by the time I'm due to run again. As yet this has shown no signs of wearing off. Though I have a new pair of running shoes on order that might help.

Paul
  • I find it's worse: up hills and when going faster (well, a little!)
  • Steph, concrete is one of the worse surfaces to run on, tarmac would be better, if you don't have a lot of choice, take it steady & keep going!

EP, seen the thread on the Grim 8, (shame I am busy that day! Oh what a liar!)You sound as though you travel at the same speed as me!!
  • Thanks for the advice - nice to know others have same problem!

I went out for a nice 45 minute run yesterday at my slowest pace. It was a little bit cold (maybe low teens) because it was raining and I had bare knees.

When I got in I did some stretches, but my knees felt quite stiff and were excruciatingly painful for about 10 minutes. After that, I was and am fine.

Any one else find that temperature changes cause excruciating joint pain?

Also, does running at a really slow pace put extra strain on the legs? I am experimenting with speed and stride length but haven't come to any conclusions yet.

I sometimes feel that the slow, solid, plodding, lots-of-time-on-ground action that I use causes some strain in whatever muscles run up above ankles/lower inside calves.

Steph
  • Running uses lots of different muscles, tendons and ligaments that, as a beginner, you maybe haven't used to such an extent before. So basically your body is just getting used to the new pressures and stresses that you're putting on it. The more you run, the stronger your muscles will become, and therefore more able to withstand the jarring and bouncing that you are putting it through. At the moment all the pressure is being transferred through to your joints, but you will increasingly find that your muscles take up more of the strain and protect your joints more.
  • Make sure that you warm up before running even on warm days also it would not hurt to take a calcium supplement to increase bone strengh
  • Hi,

My joints are hurting after a 45 - 50 minutes run as well.

I believe it's quite common for runners.

However, you can ease the pain (no one likes suffering). Since I'm not sick, I never use drugs. I prefer natural medicine. I'm using joint patch. The Hao Pi ones. I'm French, but I know they also have a website in English : Hao Pi UK  .The patches are quickly effective, simple of use and I never had any side effect.

I use them once or twice a week, it's really pleasant because it's heatingimage

But don't worry I think a lot of runners have joint problems.

• No this isn't even remotely common for runners.

This is common for new runners, exactly how ian said it. It means you are trying to run too far, too soon.

You don't need magic potions, you need to slow down your advancement.

edit: bad link

• When I first started out, I used to get quite bad shin pains after I'd been out running. I was worried they'd turn into shin splints. However, as I progressed, I changed the way I warmed up and incorporated a lot more stretching into my post-run cool down (not just the regular quads, hamstrings etc.) and the problem went away. As others have said, it's common for new runners to get pains. Ian has it spot on. It's just your body getting used to running and it will go away with time, but you do need to make sure you're warming up and cooling down in the right way.

However, if you're still experiencing pains after a month or so, maybe book an appointment with a sports physio to see if there are any issues.

• slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    This is a very old thread which was only resurrected for the purpose of spamming, so not much point posting on it!
  •  http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_9_8.gif Morning all

If anyone got pain all over.Why not but Heat Pad from today at Aldi or any Army or Camping Shops priced £2.99 an under?

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZRman000

• Hey guys! I would advise you to take a look at www.acuraflex.co.uk. The product is pretty good, it is effective, and many people have shared that they use it for pain in joints. So, maybe It will help you too!
  • Your body needs some time to get used to the new load and the stress you put on it. There are many different muscles and tendons involved in running, and if you are a beginner, you may not have used them before