Trionium Midsummer Munro Half-Marathon

Comments

• GRBGRB ✭✭✭

"Anyone offer any advice on type/frequency of hill training I need to do for this run?

Scotty"

Lots! At least once every week or two, working up to  at least 4 or 5 5-10 minute intervals by the sound of it (and some longer threshold work, preferably uphill too) - my hill opportunities are limited where I live but I've found even a few sessions on real hills to make a big difference in just a few weeks, fortunately. I am expecting to be walking up a lot of the steps on the basis I don't go much faster running and it wipes out my legs - a friend who is an ex-world-champion steeple chaser and Welsh 3000s record holder (a long time ago - he is 80!) is a strong proponent of walking uphill rather than as he puts it "running on the spot" unless you are very fit indeed. I have generally found his advice sound, though he struggles to contemplate the world of mortals as far as running is concerned.

Should be fun, hope the weather is good though

GRB

• Thanks for the advice GRB,

I've just got back from The Grizzly and I learnt the lesson about walking up hills image I also did the Kancker Cracker on New Years Day, which I I failed so badly there was only one thing to do... Enter the MM to re-tackle those hills and specifically those Steps...

just need to train now...

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭

I`m entering the Hogweed Hilly Half this weekend as a `warm up`...just to see how I deal with the `pain`...sorry I mean `hills` image

• Can't make my mind up on this one. The course seems a bit contrived with the loops and the steps. The Leith Hill Half was just an honest hilly course.

I know Dr Robert puts on great events so could someone assure me that this isn't a contrived course. As it is all part of training for lakes 100 I might even do the picnic if I can be convinced on the course.
  • TCPTCP ✭✭✭

Surely any course that starts and ends at the same point has to be contrived in order to run a specific distance.

I had a blast last year and I'm gutted that I can't make it this year.  I'll be cycling up mountains in Wales.

• This will be my fourth year. it is a great race with a fantastic atmosphere. The best training you can do for this race is to try and train on the course before hand. I am planning on doing that this year I am only an hour away so my plan is to come over on a Friday  or a Saturday and run the course, I will try to do this as many times as I can before the race. Anybody wishing to join me is more than welcome pm me with an email address or a mobile number and I will contact you when I am coming over. Dr Rob will do a run though a few weeks before the race but those people who are not decided it will be to late to enter.

• You should do some hilly runs to help prepare for the Munro, as there are a couple of fairly decent hills in it, but if you want to be good up the steps, practise running up steps! I was fortunate enough to win it in 2007 after catching the leader at the bottom of the last set of steps (221 of them? - probably not, but that's what springs to mind); I was able to charge up them, and I think that's mainly because I did a few leg weights and did intervals on a stepper machine once a week for 3 or 4 weeks beforehand . I didn't really do hill reps, but I did several of my long runs along South West coastal path, which is undulating.

As for preparing for running down the steps... my legs hurt so much the next day that I just stayed in bed! Unless you're used to it, I think that they'll hurt quite a bit, and you'll need a good week before you return to any intensive training. Of course, YMMM and I might just be a big jessie image

Overall, the MM is quite possibly my favourite race; it's a real test, it's great fun, it's beautiful, and it is quintessentially quirkily English!

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Well done that man. Respect is due!

"A couple of fairly decent hills" ... hmmmm ... And just run the number of steps past me again ... it was a typo, yes?

Please say yes image

• Oh blimey, I might have been somewhat wrong... according to the Trionium website [http://www.trionium.com/knackercracker/], the Knacker Cracker (which I'm sure uses exactly the same finish) has over 270 steps up from the stepping stones to the top of the hill.

Sorry! image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Erm, thanks for that ... I think ... image
  • Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Oh, it's contrived alright. Contrived to inflict pain! (and to make the most of the hills/views etc)
  • I'm going to do no training for this. I am going to turn up completely unprepared and laugh my way round.

I can't wait.image

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Boo - Really....I think not image
  • Oh yes the steps - no-one has mentioned that they are different heights and depths so you can never get any rhythm going (could have sworn there were 2700 or was I just hallucinating)
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Just been reading through the route description on the Trionium site ... sounds a little complicated in places with quite a few turnarounds. Can I assume that someone like me with no sense of direction will be able to follow it?
  • Muttley - you will have no problems - its well marshalled.

All the turnarounds are at the bottom of the slopes, so get down, turnround run (haha) back up.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Cheers - I have a feeling that pretty much all of my senses will be shot by the end of this one image
  • I'm gonna sign up for this, this weekend and get a train over from Bristol which goes through to Box Hill.  Someone mentioned getting off at Deepdene earlier in the thread but Box Hill station seems to be 2 miles from the start.  Can anyone tell me which is the best station to get off at?  Also, are there any bag storage facilities?  Cheers.

• Can I also ask what the picnic is?  Is it an alternative name for the MM?  Is there a free picnic at the end?
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I think the picnic is the full marathon, twice round the course and billed as the toughest marathon in the UK. Only for serious hardcore nutters who often have a sardonic sense of humour ... hence calling it a Picnic.

I think the half will be enough for me image

• There was a delightful spread of nosh at the end of last years Munro.... definitely no need to bring your own end of race food.  It's was help yourself and there was plenty for everyone... I may have been hallucinating though...image
  • Muttley wrote (see)

I think the picnic is the full marathon, twice round the course and billed as the toughest marathon in the UK. Only for serious hardcore nutters who often have a sardonic sense of humour ...

there must be tougher fell races - but maybe none of them are exactly marathon length...

I'm thinking of having a crack at this - but may be unwise, as I've never done any sort of marathon before.

• Dr RobertDr Robert ✭✭✭
    Picnic is twice the Munro - there are steeper races (Snowdon etc), but as far as I can tell, these are the toughest actual half and full marathons in the UK.

It's a 20-25 minute walk from Dorking Deepdene (just head north on the A24 - see instructions on the web site).

The race is now completely full (any more and the course would be too constricted). Sorry, no entries on the day...so, it's really full.

There will be the usual nice nosh at the end - not just for the Picnic, but also for the Munroers - they deserve it!
  • Dr Robert wrote (see)
    The race is now completely full (any more and the course would be too constricted). Sorry, no entries on the day...so, it's really full.
    both races full? are there reserve lists?
  • I think Dr Rob was referring to the Munro being full. I would not do the Picnic without having done the Munro first though image
  • Ok it's my own fault. As I am potentially running the South Down marathon on 13 June, estimated it was too close for me to run the Munro. I waited, hesitated and NOW it is FULL! It would have been my third in a row.
    Soooo, if allowed by Dr Rob's rules, if anyone decide not to take part (due to unfortunate injury, or sudden other commitment), i would be delighted to take their number and run it again!

Anyone ????
  • Me too - I'm up for taking someone's place if the rules allow it.
  • Just to let anyone know, who hasn't done this, Dr Rob is a sick twisted sadist who revels in the looks of agony on the poor pained souls who cross the line at the end.

This is my third & we have been going up there for the last few weeks on a Sat morning to get "step ready". There are also a couple of horrible climbs on really uneven ground that really drain your legs as its very hard to get a good rhythm going.

It is a great race and a real sense of achievement on completion. My advice to anyone is to try & visit the place beforehand just to mentally prepare yourself.

N