Tuesday 19th May 2009

WaboWabo ✭✭✭

Minnie mouse has got it all sewn up

morning all!

what: half hour swim am, 5 mile run later

why: I want to

last hard: moonwalk

last easy: moonwalk!

ha ha, did a nice gentle mile and a bit last night just to see how legs are, fine!

have a good day all, hope you like lyrics, sums stuff up nicely I think!

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 

Comments

• morning

swift recovery wabo - no stopping you now
    i think i'm more of a carrot and coriander person

40 mins - brave effort - that's the beer and curry preparation !  you didn't say if you had the fry up for breakfast but there's a couple of minutes to come off there for 'conditions' and then some more for the training now you're back in business. don't know about you but i'm finding the speed for HR goes really off very quickly even when i do heaps of cross training during the injury but hopefully comes back in line quicker than it otherwise would

alehouse - 5k gp series starts this week at dunham. apparently it sold out early last week so expect another crush at the start, remember somebody getting trampled last  year. i'll stand well back !

busy today, short session later on
    may get very wet by the look of it

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    What: I'm sure you all know what I'm doing
    Why: it has been all I do for a while now
    Last rest: so long ago I need a calendar to check
    Last hard: what is a hard session ?
    Lyrics: not likely

Last day in Denmark which is a pity as we have had a great time.

Good luck at Comrades DD
  • hey all

hereford half marathon went suprisingly well on sunday, especially after chunk of training missing with back problems. took 2m 17s off pb, well happy image

What: moving house today, gym later
    Why:  because
    Last rest: saturday
    Last hard: sunday
    Lyrics: OH stressing out about moving - wot-eff-ah image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Welcome noobie and well done on the PB
    Welcome too Jason27

Well done Scobos on teh double
    40 im sure it will come, keep at it
    Wabo well done for the moonwalk

What - Not a lot today (even better as have day off....)
    Why - Rest Day
    Last Hard - Sunday
    Last Rest - Today

All safe and at home now after a great weekend in Denmark.

Take care

• Morning All

Scobos: Great race report and a novel idea to start behind the rest of the field

40Mins: Need to work on the pre race preperation

noobie: welcome

What: nowt
    Why: 4 days & 1 run to Comrades
    Last hard: Friday
    Last Rest: saturday

AF & Others: Comrades is on Sunday 24th & I'm flying down on Friday morning. This will be my third Comrades and the 4th I've trained for. I'm sure the old timers on this thread will remember that in 2007 I did all the training and got hospitalised with cellulitis the day before I was due to fly! Consequently I'm absolutely paranoid this time about keeping well!

Preperations have gone well and I have run 1,360 miles since December 01st, PB'd at every distance from 5K to 42.2K , done more runs over 20 miles than ever before so all in all I'm ready. Now comes the tricky part I'm at the level of ability as a 3-27 marathoner when it is theoretically possible to run Comrades in sub 9 hours and get a Bill Rowan medal. However this requires a 10% improvement from my previous best Comrades of 9-59-53! When checking my times in 2009 for all distances from 5K to 60K  i find that on average they are 9.78% better than when I ran my last down Comrades in 2005.

So.... I guess I have to go for it, if it doesn't work it doesn't and I'll make sure I finish, anyway 89K is a bloody long way and anything can and will go wrong... as they say around here Inshallah (gods will)

For anyone who wants to track my progress on the Comrades web site my number is 9445.

Yesterdays Lyrics: In my time of dying Led Zepplin. though it would appear that my prediction of the imminent death of the DTT was premature though maybe a reminder of how it has fallen from its glory days was required.

Have Fun

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    welcomes to noobie & Jason
    40 -nice run after the night before.
    Thanks for the congrats on Sunday's efforts

Today - club night - think its hills...

Cheerio
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

well done noobie(kelly)!!

swim done and the first 16 lengths felt awful!  Happy to say it started to get easier and better last 8 and I finished with the last 4 all front crawl, aim is to be able to do a tri all fc, need more than 4 lengths wabo!!!

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Morning folks.

Hope all are well. Been away for a few days in Ireland and didn't have time to catch up.

Gobi - no improvement at all?

noobie/Kelly - well done on the pb image

DD - best of luck for Comrades. Like you say you are in good form so it should be a cracking result. What kind of improvement have you made on mara up as that's probably a more relevant comparison?

Last week ended up being all aerobic running with no speed work on account of feeling washed out - 2 'crashes' last week had both I and the doctor very worried, but luckily the worst case scenario never came to pass from the blood tests. However, though it was a better result in overall terms, in running terms it is bad news as my Ferritin and B12 levels have continued to nosedive. Basically by 'normal' person standards I am now heavily deficient in Ferritin, which for a mara runner is really bad news, and for a mara runner with a mara in 12 days is really really really bad news!

Like everything else, the problems have been caused over time by the IBS (malabsorption), and I guess the good news is that if I am running like this whilst heavily anaemic think what will happen when it gets sorted image

For now it's a case of taking a whacking great iron supplement (the doctor is concerned enough that I have been given a 6 month supply up front, so it can't be good news I guess), and as much liver, steak & leafy greens as I can manage, whilst trying to coax myself to the startline.... Not ideal, but you can only work with where you are at any given time......

On the plus side, the aerobic running in Ireland was all over proper hilly terrain, none of these little 'bumps' you get around Reading. My long run on Sunday was 22m of climbing or descents - over 1000m of climbing (and the same of descents) including a 3/4m climb of 135m up a hill that is notorious amongst local cyclists (Sean Kelly used to use it as one of his training climbs prior to the TdeF). Great fun image

What: 6m @ rec pace incl 10 x 100m windsprints/100m jogs d&d / 8m rec pm.
    Why: Yesterday's run that I was too tired to do (travelling) / schedule.
    Last hard: I guess Seskin Hill on Sunday.
    Last rest: Yesterday.
    Lyrics: Not a clue.

Will try read back over the last few days if I get a chance.

Have a great day all image

• TT: Marathon 2005 3-47 2009 3-27 or a 8.9% improvement, 60K 6-00 in 2005, 5-33 in 2009 = 9.25%

Its going to be close!

• Morning folks.

Thanks for the well dones from the race at the weekend...it was certainly a bit different from how I'd usually run a race!

Also, welcome to the new folk...I was remiss in not mentioning it yesterday.

DD - it's a balancing act, but you've been flying of late. The confidence you can derive from that could be the little bit extra you need to get you a sub-9. All the very best!

After an easy 5 miles at lunchtime yesterday (38mins), went along to the club last night. Fully expected to cut short the 5 x 1 mile session I'd planned, due to solid quads, but I figured I'd start out aiming for around 5.30 pace and just see how I got on. In the event, not too badly. Dug in to complete the set (all off ~80secs recoveries), with the following rep times:

5.29 / 5.29 / 5.27 / 5.28 / 5.27

Pretty windy conditions too. Really felt the 4th one and considered calling a halt then, but gritted my teeth and got the job done.

For today...

What: 7 or 8 easy miles at lunchtime, then might venture out for a short cycle this evening.
    Why: recovery - my quads feel like blocks of wood!

Have a great day.

• Morning everyone, busy morning on here.  Just had a skim but looks like there's some good work going on!  Rain was lashing down when I was about to go for my second run yesterday, so went to the gym to do it on the treadmill... rain stopped and sun came out as I was walking to the gym!  typical... that'll teach me for wussing out!  Still, got 6 miles in

• What:  30 mins am (3.7 miles) d&d, 45 mins pm
    • Why:  ignoring the imminent exams
    • Last Hard:  Friday
    • Last rest:  9/5/09
    Have a nice day!

• Morning All

Nothing yet but I have a mid week 10K this evening not gonna race it as it was a heavy weekend. So much for not bouncing race to race image

Probably aim at around 42mins hopefully it's flat so I won't get told off by Gobi for walking image

DD - All the best , you're in with a great chance and stronger relatively as you go further .

Well done noobie on the PB.

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Right, managed to have a quick read back. Looked like a pretty quiet weekend......

DD - 38C for a 10k? And to think I reckon it's a bit too warm for my liking at anything approaching 20C..... Sounds like a good workout though. Looks good on the improvement across the longer distances. Taper should sort the rest of the difference you need I think image Good luck for it!

SD - good luck for Comrades too image

RFJ - congrats on the 2nd at the Danish TT. Sound like a good weekend!

Wabo - well done on the moonwalk.

MG - good luck for Wokingham. Target?

AF - promising long run. I always jog/run a bit after strides rather than doing them as the very last thing. Personally I wouldn't finish a run on fast stuff, even if it's only a little bit. A cooldown is a must for me.

NZC - getting lost again with the orienteering I see? image I do believe your navigation skills may be a little worse than mine (which is no mean feat!). I'm doing a trail relay towards the end of June and I am quite worried about the fact that they expect us to navigate our own way around. Even with a recce run I still wouldn't bet against taking a wrong turn on the day........

Welcome Jason.

Dustin - congrats to both your daughters. Nice work!

Scobos/Mightos - great stuff. That'll teach them to try pull one on ye. Must have felt really good as well given that they wouldn't wait!

40mins - unlucky on the 10k, but at least you know why it didn't go to plan.

sl2 - nice 600s.

• A'noon peeps.

What: 5M Fartlek this morning.

Spent alot of it avoiding broken glass and dog poos !

Welcome : Nooble and Jason27

A collective 'Well done' to all the recent racers and their performances.

Scobos: Sounds like you two had an unintentional old style handicap road race on Skye...

Have a good one peeps.

• Afternoon all,

Newbie here! image Just tapering for the Copenhagen Marathon but no rest with the Berlin Marathon already booked in...target is 3:45 in Copenhagen then 3:30 in Berlin. Ambitious I know...!

What: 4 miles easy
    Why:  taper
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: saturday

Best of luck for Comrades DD...hoping to take on that challenge myself next year! Look forward to reading the report!

• Morning all,

Welcome noobie and the other newbies!!!!!

DD - Picture 8:59:59, it's in the bag! You have really trained well and I have no doubt you can hit that.

What: Hilly 5 miler later

Why: Hilly day

Last Hard: Weekend

Lyrics - Yup

Have a great day

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Noobie - Congrats on the PB

DD - Best wishes for Comrades.  Really looking forward to your report.

TT - Not at all sure what to make of your medical issues, but as you say, when they get sorted I wonder what you'll achieve?

Gobi - Glad you've enjoyed Denmark, now it is time to recover and plague us with reports of  "10m easy at 5:50 pace", before 5am!

Another few miles easy planned for this evening.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Twiggy - actually in the last 2 days I have seen a slight improvement but the light at the end of the tunnel still seems to be switched off.

40 - I am still doing that sort of training I just happen to be on a bike instead of running. 380 + miles in 19 days
  • Welcome to all the newbies!  Hope you all enjoy it here.

What: 6M at lunch
    Why: wanted to
    Last hard: today, I think (see below)
    Last rest: Thursday

Lyrics: yes - can do old ones like this (being an old one myself!).  Isn't this the band who tried to prove their manliness with their name?  Urban myth?  Not according to Wikipedia.

Very pleased with today's run.  Made a note of time for each 2M stretch.  First was exactly 16.00.  Second was 15.20.  Third was 14.52.  That's got to be satisfactory.

• Afternoon all,

40:  Sounds like you still haven't found your racing head - or if you have, you beat it to death with alcohol image

clink "...i'm finding the speed for HR goes really off very quickly..."  Tell me about it!  And I don't even use a HRM.

Welcome noobie!  Congrats on the PB.

DD:  Finger's crossed for no last minute health scares.  That Bill Rowan has your name on it.  ( as well as Bill Rowan's )

Welcome Davey - I might see you at Berlin

• What:  10m with 10x100m strides.  I stuck with the tried 'n tested in the end; I liked NZC's reasoning.  Major shock to the legs ensued as that's the fastest they've had to turn over since new year's day!
    • Why:  General aerobic and speed.  Changed to rhythm now. 
    • Last Hard:  1/1
    • Last Rest:  15/5

Have a good one!

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

welcome davey!

nice clue sgq....

• Slow DuckSlow Duck ✭✭✭

Evening all,

Wabo - impressive recovery!

Noobie - well done on your pb - quite a chunk off your time!

DD - you'll definitely have to go for a Bill Rowan.  Remind me to introduce you to Fu in Durban - he earned one of the last Bill Rowans on the down run in 2007 - his time was 8:59:42.  I'm sure you'll have a lot to discuss...

TT - hope your medical issues are resolved soon - at least you now know what the cause was and what needs to be done...  Looking forward to hearing what greater feats you'll achieve when you're fully recovered!

What: 4miles easy
    Why: Comrades taper
    Last hard: Last Tuesday
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Lyrics: despite sgq's clue - nope!

For anyone who's bored enough to track my progress on the Comrades web site on Sunday my number is 9436.

Flying out tomorrow so hopefully next post will be from South Africa - as long as all my travel plans go without a hitch (touch wood!).

• Nice pb noobie
    Good luck with the Comrades DD - (my next ultra is not until 2010)
    TT - don't know - Reading 1:18, Bracknell 1:21 - in the past have taken 30s longer at Wokingham than at Reading - but warmer weather adds to to the error of estimation - have to be v. happy with anything uner 1:19 I guess - more concerned with where I am in Berks CC - hopefully no worse than 2nd MV40

What: 8 miles steady
    Why: keeping it ticking over pre Wokingham
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Saturday
    Lyrics: nope

Take care all

• NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭

Noobie - well done on the marthon PB.

Dubai Dave - you know you've done the work - you've just got to relax and let it happen on Sunday. Number 9445 noted.

Tipp Top - sounds like you have still been getting the training in even with the low iron  - good luck for the marathon.

Scobos - 5 x 1 mile - all under 5.30 - nice.

Hi Jason & Davey. Good luck with your marathon times Davey.

SGQ - nice 6 miler - finishing strongly.

Slow Duck - got your number too - 9436 - have a good one.

Michael - good luck for Wokingham.

What: another little run - 20 minutes - hopefully my legs will thank me for it.

Good running everyone.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

good luck slow duck!

I did 5 slow miles tonight, 50.45, wrell not massively slow for me. Its  a weird feeling now to have a running marathon and walking one too in the bag within 3 weeks of each other.  I suddenly feel cool with my running because they are out of the way and tbh I was a bit worried.  NOw I have survived and just want to enjoy running, know what I mean anyone?

anyhow, lyrics, cos I feel the need to read some harry potter, even though I am supposed to do an essay by friday! Life is a minestrone, 10cc, or a carrot and coriander clink if you like

take care all, oh my club mates are doing brilliantly up in cape wrath in case anyone here is also taking part!  Proper proud of them I am! 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

A late good evening!

What: 40 mins that started off slow and got slower on muddy river banks and paths
    Why: need to get some time on my feet
    Last hard: that was
    Last rest: Dec 24

Lyrics: nope...until I saw the answer. And yes, Life is a Minestrone! Nice choice Wabo.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

Evening all.

Gobi
    Yes, I know you're still posting impressive training at interesting times, but many of us don't speak "bike, swim", so it doesn't have the same impact.  Comment was meant to be encouragement rather than complaint!

What:  5 miles easy, but rather weary
    Why:  Base
    Last hard:  2 days
    Last rest:  3 days
    Last alcohol:  3 days

Club run tomorrow.

•  Thanks for all the welcomes!

Good luck Slow Duck.  Hope the trip to South Africa is a good one!  Good luck also Dubai Dave

TT - If that's the training you do with low iron, It'll be interesting to see what you can do on full power!

Well done on the PB Noobie!

Wabo - well done on the moonwalk!   think I know what you mean, now that I've got the marathon out of the way and essentially recovered from it, I can just enjoy the running and not worry about it!  

Joe - good luck with the 10k... take it easy!

Yet again, seemed to chose the worst time of the day to do my evening run, so did a drenching 6.2 miles along an undulating route in 45:45.  Quite (well, a bit too much) refreshing! image First time I've done back-to-back doubles, going to have a couple of single days just to make sure I'm not overdoing it too quickly!

• Evening all,

Good to see some new faces on here

MichaelG: Do it! It's not that hard really as long as you are used to big hill days, Run/walk the ups and fly down the other side image
    Noobie: congrats on the PB
    DD: Go for the Bill rowan! It's certainly in your capability
    scobos: nice reps

What: 7m inc a 5.5m fell race
    Why: A bit of tuesday Tempo running. Fairly pleased to finish a smidge over 40 mins on a tough course with battered legs.