cows

There is a nice 5 mile loop around Sussex Uni that I ran a few times in the winter. I tried it again last nigth and about half way round a field had been filled with cows (I'm sure they weren't there in the winter). Anyway just as we reached the gate they all decided to run down the hill and ended up congregating on the footpath. I opted for aviodance, and we tried to find an alternative route, but ended up going back the way we'd come.

Now the logical part of my brain says the there wouldn't be a footpath going through a feild of cows if they were dangerous (and they paid little attention to the two blokes on bikes who passed through the feild at around the same time.

The city girl side of my brain said, they're blooming much bigger than me and can probably out run me.

So what do other runners do when faced with the same situaition (or walkers for that matter?)

I never used to be wary of cows (amybe cos you dont encounter them much in the city!) but last year when walking in roughly the same area we got surrounded by a herd. They didn'tdo anything, just stared and occasionally mooed but it was very unnerving..

Comments

• think they are more nosy than harmful!  just make sure there isnt a bull in the field cos he will have ago
  • I would be cautious - cows are nosy but they can also be very dangerous if spooked.

I read the other day about a woman walking her dog who was trampled by cows - she suffered broken ribs and bruising. I think her dog probably scared the cows who stampeded.

I love cows, but like any animal you should always be wary and if necessary, slow down or stop in order ensure that you don't scare them.

they are wonderful creatures!! image

• Yes!

Cow's are not as stupid as they look, they are like hoodies they hang around in groups and attack on mass.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cuNe_A_U-9g/SK3Q67_y6zI/AAAAAAAAAfc/0iGRbFSiQLI/s400/FarSideCownCar.gif

• LOL! I love that cartoon!

I bet cows are EXACTLY like that! image

Although I don't quite like the comparison to chavs....

• ha ha! "just moo it!" excellent!
  • Thanks BB

Just Moo it! I love it. Wonder if I can get a t-shirt like that one?

• oh yeah- was going to say something, but was side tracked by the cartoon!

I went running while on holiday in the south of Ireland last year, and the route i took, meant i passed several fields with cows in, and I swear, they would see me coming from a distance, and all congregate near to the field wall... and as I ran past, they would follow me along untill they had to stop because of the field boundries.... it happened everytime! they were scarey cows.... like something out of a Hitchcock film!!!!!!

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Be cautious.

I have had to walk through a herd of cows some with calfs as they congregated in the corner of a field by the stile you used to exit. I was quietly carping myself.

I am not normally fussed, but I did literally have to walk through them.

If you see a cow with calf....try to give it a wide berth as they can be protective.

If you get chased by a load - chances are theyre being nosy....ive had it happen to me lots of times. If you stop, wave your arms and/or clap they will stop.

• When I take my sons for a walk my 8yr always ask me to check mapometer so we can avoid cow fields image 

• Nick L wrote (see)

If you get chased by a load - chances are theyre being nosy....ive had it happen to me lots of times. If you stop, wave your arms and/or clap they will stop.

See just like "Hoodies"
  • Cows will only be aggressive if there are new born calves in the field too. Mostly they are just being nosy. This grouping usually occurs in the late spring due to the fact that the animals have spent most of the winter couped-up in pens and they are used to being feed by the farmer. When they see walkers/runners in the fields they assume they are going to be fed...hence the grouping.

Do not take a dog in a field where there are calves...the cows will charge to protect the young animals.      

• Hey! Can't compare cows to "Hoodies".

LiP - I am the opposite, I WANT routes that go through cow fields and try and go there at the right time of day image

Pity I don't like running on mud though....image

• On a serious note ( not like me at all)

They are animals and as with all animals you should be cautious when dealing with them.

Horses, cows even sheep and goats can kill you.

Just keep your whits about you and stay safe

But saying that they are less dangerous than cars, dogs (off leads) cyclists on pavements and other runners wearing ipods whilst worshiping satan! image

• Thanks for the responses. Liked all the cartoons too. image

Think I've come up with four solutions:

Proceed through the field with caution (does that mean I should take off my ipod when I do?!)

Avoid the route

Bring a big scary guy with me and let them deal with the cows while I hide behind him!

Bring a slower friend with me and then sprint through the field and hope the cows turn on them instead!

• Don't wish to scare you but a friend's father was killed by a group of heifers (no calves in sight). trampled him to death, a couple of years ago.

And another family friend was also attacked and almost killed in a smilar situation the year before.

My Dad has a similar tale but was Ok as he got out in time.

They should not be treated lightly and not JUST avoiding Bulls and cows with calves.

I am very cautious if I walk through a field of cows.

• All good ideas

slower friend is the best as the joke goes "I dont have to out run the tiger I only have to out run you!"

You shouldnt be wearing an ipod, satan spawn image (Ps I like ipods and running with one i,m just jumping on the anit ipod band wagon and claiming expenses for it)

You could also dress up a cowboy and wrangle a few thus making your run a little more interesting.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "They didn'tdo anything, just stared and occasionally mooed but it was very unnerving.."

that's because - as others have said - they are curious. and probably bullocks. milking heifers can't be arsed to move in the main. they aren't out to harm you.

as someone else said, you only need to be cautious if they cows have youngsters as they can be extremely protective and very dangerous.

"Bring a big scary guy with me and let them deal with the cows while I hide behind him!"
    my missus used to be shit scared of going through fields with cattle and she would hide behind me! it was only as she got more used to it and saw that they really weren't going to harm her that she could handle it herself. she's still not that comfy with it but knows how to manage it now.
  • Please dont let the cow thread die!!!!

• I did a long bike ride today, and half-way up the biggest climb of the day wouldn't you know  I met a herd of cattle coming down the road, there were several herders with them but I called out to the one nearest to me and asked her to please let me through on the right as I'm scared of cattle. She moved over with a smile and replied, you are right to be, they can be nasty beasts.

• Beach Bum wrote (see)

Please dont let the cow thread die!!!!

Alright, we herd you.

• I am scared of cows image
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    at least this thread makes a change from (yet another) dangerous dogs thread

no Muttley for a start.... image
  • NinjabreadGirl wrote (see)

I would be cautious - cows are nosy but they can also be very dangerous if spooked.

I read the other day about a woman walking her dog who was trampled by cows - she suffered broken ribs and bruising. I think her dog probably scared the cows who stampeded.

I had a similar experience… and since that day I’ve dressed as a cow and fought crime!

• I think this thread is great!

The title made me piss myself

cows
    am I right to be scared of them?