Your worst injury

A popular weekly mens magazine has a readers injuries page full of gross pictures.

Running or non running excepted.

Three cracked ribs

Scooter v Landrover (with bull bars)

Rode 20 miles home thinking I was winded until I removed t shirt and couldnt breath!! image

Comments

• Welsh Alex has some seriously grim knee photos! image
  • There was a guy in the army got his arm trapped between two trucks snapped his arm so it looked like he had 2 elbows!!
  • I broke a nail once.....image

The truth? Fractured skull whilst allowing my head to ricochet off a breeze block whilst holding a kick pad for a 6th dan.

Never stand too close to the wall.image

• Broke neck playing rugby at school.  Not terribly painful, though.

Worse pain from broken wrist (playing frisbee) and dislocated jaw (surfing).

Also knocked myself silly once pushing son on a swing image

• I got my foot caught under a lawn mower as a child and had to have a skin graft, 2 patches of skin reomved from my thigh and placed on my lil' foot!

Sliced through my thumb with a carving knife as I wanted to make an arrow to shoot my brother with (serves me right!) Lots stitches.

Broke same arm twice. Once standing in goals stopping a ball and once diving into the swimming pool and my arm landing on my brother's head.

Got double bounced on a trampoline, fell off and got 3 stiches on head.

Was playing in shower as a kid, hit head on tap, another 3 stitches.

Pulled out a bottle and loads of other bottles fell, 6 stiches in leg from shard of glass.

Have glued my tongue to my lip by accident.

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    arctic lady wrote (see)

Licking stamps can be dangerous...

Seriously though, how???

• Fractured my sternum once when i was 12-it was only painful when beathing!

Had an accident 2 days ago-slipped underneath a piece of machinery at work (i won't bore you with the description of the machinery) but it scraped both my shins rather effectively...quite messy and have 4 stitches in my left one...messy pics on application.

Wokingham half on sunday is 50/50 unless i want to burst stitches for a pb...new thread-would you burst stitches for a pb?

• Gertie wrote (see)
    arctic lady wrote (see)

Seriously though, how???

err... was super gluing a toy back together and forgot it was a tub of glue when I put it my mouth to hold, then glue dripped out onto lip, I instinctively tired to lick it off and it stuck. image

It was foul and horrible and I had visions of my tongue being surgically removed!!!

• Two broken legs playing football (seperate occasions)

Broken hand playing football

12 stiches on my knee tripped over a tent peg

Broken Hand (scaphoid) tripped over my shoe laces running (currently in plaster)

•  scaphoid fractures aren't pleasant-poor you.

Elastic laces are great i reckon!

• GertieGertie ✭✭✭
    arctic lady wrote (see)
    Gertie wrote (see)
    arctic lady wrote (see)

Seriously though, how???

err... was super gluing a toy back together and forgot it was a tub of glue when I put it my mouth to hold, then glue dripped out onto lip, I instinctively tired to lick it off and it stuck. image

It was foul and horrible and I had visions of my tongue being surgically removed!!!

I think that's something you'll only do once.

Nothing major apart from a few childhood scars,  but I do have a scar on my elbow that is a complete mystery.

• Don MinquezDon Minquez ✭✭✭

Ruptured tendons on top of left foot.
    Ruptured right achilles tendon.
    cracked ribs/something horrible to my sternum.
    various bone breakages...

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Nothing too bad for me - cracked a bone in my wrist crashing a vespa somewhere near Bristol on the way to Paignton, was on crutches for a few days with a football injury to my knee, cracked ribs playing in goal when I came out to punch a cross clear and the forward stuck his shoulder into me, damaged elbow falling on it playing football on astroturf at Essex Uni - didn't seem too bad at the time but I still can't quite straighten it 20 years later, 13 stitches in my face when I was a kid on a school skiing holiday and one of those drag lifts smacked me in the face when the guy behind didn't chuck it clear,  broken bone in my hand when I crashed a BMX messing about doing some jumps last year.
  • I can't think of anything much other than stubbing my little toe quite often, plus a scar on my right knee from falling off a bicycleimage
  • I had a stress fracture of the femur once...
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭

Compound fracture of right humorous that went through my shoulder and stuck in my cheek - done on a run 6 AM in the morning in an isolated area - had to walk a couple of miles before I could get help... lost lots of blood and ended up having a shoulder joint replacement a couple of days later

How did it happen? - falling over my dog at the top of a v shaped valley and tumbling all the way down 60FT to the river below - it smarted a bit.

The dog was fine

• Not running related...

About 35 years ago I got sprayed up the legs by a mixture of methanol, concentrated sulphuric acid and p-chlorophenol when a pump gasket failed on a piece of plant. It was touch and go, apparently, but I survived. Fortunately I had a visor on, otherwise I'd have been blinded.

An ambulance man and a nurse both suffered burns, and they had to incinerate my bedding until there was no more chlorophenol.

I don't remember too much about the early days, as they kept me sedated.  My legs aren't very pretty.

• Corinthian-that sounds extreme!

Crashie-ha ha is that a D2D reference? i did spot she posted something somewhere yesterday and no-one responded but there were lots of views of the post-she is quite a 'special' one isn;t she? I've only read a bit of her stuff and i feel the same as KK i'm afraid!

• Just read that back and if you did have a stress fracture of the femur then i'm sorry to hear that and i didn't mean to sound unsympathetic!
  • No of course I didn't image

...it turned out to be ITBS and you were all wrong image

• My worse was ITBS 2 weeks before FLM2004 still ran was in agony from 2 miles still ran all the way so so much pain !!!!!!!!

Oh and the hernia that popped out 2 weeks before FLM2006 no problems at all with the race but had the OP in the October and haven't run more than 5 miles since image

• Crashie, behave image

Ali, that sounds horrible, glad you made a good recover though.

GD, hope you are up and running soon.

I've not had too many, fell on a nail and it just missed my kidney, sliced my leg open on a wall, got run over by a horse, got thrown off a horse into a ditch, all the usual living on a farm when a kid accidents.

My dad though, being a farmer, had some classic injuries.  He was cleaning out the silage cutter and being a farmer he didnt turn it off (it will be fine, just gonna reach in there and get the grass out, wont take a second).  He ended up going round the machine and nearly chopped his leg off.  Clever Dad image  He made a full recovery.

• Got knocked off my bike when another cyclist in front of me in the pack slammed on her brakes and left me nowhere to go but into her. Fractured my scaphoid with that one.

Got knocked out harrasing a learner driver on my bike. I was too close behind her when she slammed on her brakes........for a squirrel.

Stress fratures of the metatarsals after Stratford Marathon 07. Didn't think much of the soreness and tried to run it off. That worked really wellimage. 7 months later I could start running again.

• tore muscle in leg aged 7 when got run over. Broke two fingers hitting a wall in fight. And had collapsed lung at 22. Been lucky sinceimage
  • spongecakespongecake ✭✭✭

aged 14 crashed while sledging,hit a tree with both legs just above the knees and my legs bent the wrong way and kicked me in the face,gave me a black eye as well as ligament damage in both knees,didnt walk for three months.

aged 19 fell into a window while blind drunk and chopped my right thumb off,well hanging on by the skin anyway,sown back on and works great. thankyou NHS.

• Not an injury to me, sorry....but.....

A guy who lived opposite me in the posher flats with a pool jumped high up off the diving board, turned round to stick his tongue out at his friends, caught his chin on the diving board as he came down, and bit his tongue off!

They sewed it back on apparently, so it's ok to laugh. image

• oooh a thread for me

broken my back twice, same place both times, courtesy of horses both times, the second time I dindt fall off but got crushed under a low tree, all I was banging on about in hospital was that  I DIDN'T BLOODY FALL OFF when they kept saying it was from a fall off a horse.. IDIOTS

can't be bothered to list the rest but they've been numerous and spectacular

• CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    How's the jaw GL - did you ever get that sorted?