cycling plus sportive

popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

It's a week on Saturday (is that 30th?) - anyway just got an email from Planet X which seems to be offering two free places - just in case anyone fancies it.    There's a group of us from my club riding it to tag on to.

100 miles or 100km the choice is yours. Ride with Drags and the Ginger Avenger through the Peak District. Starts at 8am on the Saturday morning so contact Richprince@btinternet.com if you want to take part.

Comments

• I'm doing the aquaduct one the day after - it was only a tenner.

Note to self - check the bloody meters climbed before entering any sportif - no matter how cheap it is....

Have a good one pops - I may give that a go next year.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    "ride with Drags and the Ginger Avenger"

Oxy and Barlos?

[giggles and runs away very quickly]
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I guess this is the BikeRadar one pops? the whole weekend looks interesting but no can do - Chiltern 100 sportive on the 31st......
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    which is, of course, vastly superior.
  • How many meters climbing Leppie ?

I'm getting suspicious of all these damn rides now.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    not many at alllllll, cougie!!

'svery flat here.

[beams blinkily]
  • Aqueduct thingy - 27.9m per mile
    Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m
    Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0
    IMCH- 11.25

Hmmmmmmmmm..........
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    seeya next week then!
    ;o)
  • I'm liking that there IMCH one
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm only doing it because it's local - route goes about 3 miles from my house - I'm not sure they've had a huge response to it - too many events now spreads things a bit thin except for a few biggies like the Fred Whitton.   Anyone doing any Sept time ?
  • How did it go Pops ?

The Aqueduct thing was a fantastic ride - great course - bloody hilly and hot, but mainly down pretty quite lanes. Excellent value for a tenner. Would deffo do that again.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    Note to self - check the bloody meters climbed before entering any sportif - no matter how cheap it is....

Didn't you learn that from the stupid, hideous, bastardness of this year's Cheshire Cat?!?

I like your comparisons, but they suffer from the law of averages. The first 60miles of the Cat were practically flat, as evidenced by our half-decent time up to that point. All the climbing was in the last 40 miles. So although you've put the Chiltern100 higher than the Cat, I would reverse them for difficulty. Yesterday's ride was hard, but achieveable. The Cat was just impossible.

Well done in Wales though. You didn't get another buff, did you? image

• I'm a very very slow learner ! image

Yeah - you're right on the average thing - it just gives a very broad approximation. Cat was a beeeyatch and I'd say harder than the aqueduct thing too. Just so many climbs in a short space of time.

No buff yesterday = just a cuppa tea, but it was only a tenner - so not too bad.

Anyway - IMCH is loads easier unless they've changed the route and its 100miles of flat and then we wend our way up the Matterhorn !
    Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m
    Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

IMDE - 8.69 m

(just updating my figures here - the Cat profile is different every year though - so thats what it was)

Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m

Ironman Wales - 21.4m

Cheshire Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

IMDE - 8.69 m

Ooh IMWales will be a bugger !

Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m

Ironman Wales - 21.4m

Cheshire Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

Outlaw 11.07m

IMDE - 8.69 m

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    So, essentially, Outlaw is pretty flat...? [blink]
  • Prettttty much Jj ! I may do it on my fixed wheel !

Aqueduct thingy - 27.9m per mile
    Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m

Ironman Wales - 21.4m

Cheshire Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

Outlaw 11.07m

Challenge Vichy (2013 race ?) 9.6m

IMDE - 8.69 m

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    "Ironman Wales - 21.4m"

I will agree with that having done a circuit of it now. there are hardly any flat bits. if you're not going up you're going down and some of the downs are narrow and twisting to add to the fun. then just before you get back to Tenby (2 loops of this section) you have a 16% hill from Whiteman's Bridge and another not much less steep from Saundersfoot - 14% at the steepest? and they are within 2 miles of each other - 2nd time around at 100 miles or so, they are going to hurt.

and to add insult to injury, the run has something like 3000' of climbing over the distance........

that's going to be a hard earned IM medal

you COULD do Outlaw on a fixie - might make the (flat) run painful though.... image

• LOL - only one way to find out eh ?

• Just putting the Nokia Scotland Coast to Coast in for comparison.
    105 miles or so - 14,810 feet of climbing. Er - thats 4514 meters ?

So er 42.99 m per mile. A lot of it on foot....

Scottish coast to coast 42.99m per mile
    Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m

Ironman Wales - 21.4m

Cheshire Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

Outlaw 11.07m

IMDE - 8.69 m
  • Was looking at Smiffy's Tootles Loop the other day.

About 33M per mile - ish.

But apparently he's looking at summat with some lumps in now.image

• Saw this Tour du Mont Blanc Cyclo

Supposed to be 205 miles and 8,000 metres climbing - well according to someone else - 39 metres per mile !

Anyone know the route at all ?

• Beginners guide we did the other week was 25.2M per mile but only 35 miles. Still, tough course.
  • Get yourselves to the Alpes in early July next year and have a crack at La Marmotte. 5000m of climbing over 110 miles. 45.45 metres per mile of climbing. Takes in Col du Glandon, Telegraphe and the massive Galibier and the sting in the tale of finishing up the Alpe d'Huez.

Not very fit last year and had it entered. Managed 100 miles and had to pack at the base of L'Alpe d'Huez as I was outside the time limit ( and just about totally knackered! ). It is a beast of a day out but great fun. Did the route in 2005 just as a day out with my brother and bro in law. Awesome place to be.

http://www.gastrobiking.com/cyclosportive/marmotte-route.html

Edit; not suggesting go with this company just the route details. Gastrobiking is just the site I got to for the route.

• Did it this year Chilli - it is indeed a great event - probably end up doing it again in 2012 as most of my club seem to want to go back and have another go.
  • pops - I know that TMB route - not ridden it but driven various parts of it at times when we had a gaff in Chamonix.

I could well believe the distance and climbing is right. it's a clockwise route by the looks of it but I don't think it would make much difference which way round you go in terms of difficulty. the climbs aren't oversteep - not HC category for sure - just long and the long one up the Col de Petit St Bernard will be a leg tester. it's on main roads by the looks of the towns they go through which also means the climbs won't be too steep although as with all Alpine roads, there will be the odd steeper sections.

it's a long long day in the saddle

it's one of the the many ways of doing a trip around Mt Blanc - there's an MTB version as well as the famous running version, UltraTrail du Mt Blanc.
  • Updating for the Fred Whitton challenge details.

Scottish coast to coast 42.99m per mile

Fred Whitton 30.89m per mile
    Chiltern 100 Biggy 24.5m

Ironman Wales - 21.4m

Cheshire Cat - 20.9 m
    Bike Radar - 17.4m 
    IMFR - 16.0m

IM Regensberg 13.39m

IMCH- 11.25m

Outlaw 11.07m

IMDE - 8.69 m

• anybody know where Henley sits in this list?

i suppose untill the bike course is finalised no one will! image

• i thought outlaw was flat.............image

i keep on missing out on the wesh dragon ride in south wales..........128 miles aqnd 3350m of climbing.....that works out at 26:17m per mile but the week after my half IM and 4 weeks before outlaw