Running weird?

Today I had a video gait analysis, at Sweatshop, to help me choose my second pair of running shoes.  I have been running for almost a year and the first pair were feeling a bit tired.  Apart from discovering that I apparently do no after all need stability shoes to correct mild overpronation I was also informed that I run 'really strangely' and 'will injure myself if I keep running on my heels', so odd was my running that they had me running up and down the shop just in case I couldn't run properly on a treadmill.  I found this rather upsetting and having run a 6k, 10k and 1/2 marathon in the last year with no problems slightly surpising.  To be further told that I don't really run, merely shuffle along in a sort of fast walk was the icing on the cake. 

My question is this, how seriously should I take this?  Some things about my gait, I heel strikemost of the time although I do try to land on my mid foot when I remember,  I tend to place my feet towards the centre which means I clip the inside of my ankles occasionally.  I also do not lift my feet very high, particularly on the backswing. However, my footfalls are not excessively loud, and I finished my first half marathon in 2.09 feeling I could have gone a fair bit faster.  Should I worry and get a proper gait analysis carried out at a local sports clinic?

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

If you don't have a problem, don't do anything drastic on the basis of this one analysis. 

Assuming you are running injury free in your current shoes I would find a similar pair.  Anyone who thinks any runner "runs strangely" needs to get down and watch a race and see how many people look like they shouldn't be able to run at all yet mysteriously manage to put one leg in front of the other all the way round until they finish.

I think you may run into trouble if you radically change the type of shoe you are using and also try to make too many changes to your "natural" running style all at trhe same time.

• Thanks Mr Puffy, made me feel better, went out in the new neutral shoes today and have pain up the insides of my lower legs now.  Not a good sign as a quick bit of internet research suggests this may be due to overpronation.  Thank god for the 30 day satisfaction guarantee which means I can chang back to stability shoes. 

I still might have a gait analysis as I would like to get some professional advice about how I run and what shoes I should use.  On longer runs and after the 1/2 I had knee pain and have been getting little niggles and wanted to make sure that I was correct in assuming it was down to my old shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspire 4's) loosing their bounce as they are about 10 months old. 

• Some people would say to keep your feet underneath your centre of gravity and not lift too high off the floor is very economical as a running style and actually less likely to get you injured.  If you've run a Half Mara without problems I'd ignore it.

And pains up the insides of your lower legs is usually down to pronation issues, so if it ain broke why not go back to a new pair of your previous shoes?

• Wow, sounds like they got it wrong, big style.

I clip the inside of my ankles frequently - though I'm not aware of it but my shoes show signs of damage, as do my slightly bruised ankles. I also do not lift my feet very high and shuffle about. However, I have completed 2 half marathons and about to do a full in a couple of weeks. I have had no injuries, despite being very flat footed and heavy.

I get knee niggles when my shoes wear out too. Definitely go back to your Mizunos and disregard the advice.

• Hi Paul; I tend to land on my mid/front foot, bend my knee right back on the backswing and have a pretty long stride - the opposite of your style however I've had nothing but injuries since I started running. I'd say if your'e running uninjured, don't change a thing and certainly don't waste your money on it. The more you think about it, the more of a problem it is.
  • Thanks Guys, all useful advice and very cheering.  This is the first time I have used the forum but definitely will not be the last. Have only done one short fastish run in the Nikes on Sunday and my shins have ached since.  Not sure if I should go for another short run to make sure it's the shoes but at the moment they are pretty certain to go back.  After this experience I may not return to the same branch of Sweatshop again after the exchange has been made.  

Good luck with the Marathon Spinkletoes,  I hope you have a really great day.

Thanks Again.

• Quick update, went to SportLink in Norwich (www.sportlink.co.uk) today and spoke to a very friendly and helpful lady who was happy to give me some advice.  She took one look at my feet in sandals and told me I had flatish arches and should not be trying to run in a neutral shoe.  Should have checked the forum as they are highly recommended if you're in this part of the world. 

The Nikes are already back in their box ready to be returned to Sweatshop and I am compiling a shortlist of possible replacements.  Lesson learned, I'll save the 100 mile round trip and use use my local indie running shop next time I need new shoes.  

• Hi Little Red Runner -your story similar to mine. I have been running on and off for three years (nowhere near up to the standards you are.....am only doing 5K stuff), but had had two pairs of stability shoes as I was told I over pronate. Then went to buy a third pair at well regarded sports store in town and was told, after video gait analysis that I no longer over-pronate and a neutral shoe would be fine. So I splashed out £80 on Saucony Ride pair. But they never felt right. Went to Advance Performance and spent ages with lovely sales assistant who confirmed that I definitely over pronate and now have some Brookes stability shoes. Out of pocket a bit (although sold the Saucony's to a friend for a knock down price!) but feel that I got good advice second time round. The over-pronation thing was also confirmed by a podiatrist I went to see recently ....because I am convinced I do have a weird walking gait!