New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Trinity_ wrote (see)

Sleep is most important on Friday night as well so get a good 8 to 10 hours.

I found this difficult: what with nervous tension, strange bed in a hotel, changed routines, etc.

• tiptree... I usually find a full stomach and a busy day at expo helps tire me out image...followed by a little lie in on Saturday morning

Tricia... I think every 30 minutes will be too much, and come later in the marathon you'll find it hard to take one.

I would go every 5 miles rather than 45 minutes. Also, try the caffeine gel just one more time. Take it on a long run of 18 to 20 miles and take it about 2 miles before the end of the run. I think it's worth a try for the benefit

• hi

does anyone know if they sell the SIS gels in America?, or should we take a supply with us?

• Thanks Trinity, will try the caffeine gels once more imageimage
  • Chowster...They were at the Boston expo when I went in April but personally I wouldn't risk it and I'd take my own

LOL Tricia image

• Tricia - I might be being contrary to our resident cheese expert, but for what it's worth I take Gels from mile 8 onwards - initially every 3.5 miles (about 25/26 minutes) and then every 3 miles nearer the end. I once read that a gel has about enough energy for around 30 minutes - It seems to have worked as I've never 'bonked' in 6 marathons. I also follow similar routine to the mighty Trin and also eat Nairns Oatcakes the night before as they have a brilliantly slow GI. (I'm still burning them off 4 weeks later)

My problem is cramp in the back of my upper legs at about 22/23 miles but I didn't get this at recent Boston which I put down to either higher mileage in training (average 42 over 16 weeks, max of 70) or the fact that US Gatorade contains extra salt.

Also the day before, from noon onwards, I did nothing other than lie on a bed and watch tv. I framed my day around allowing myself to stick the number on my vest at about 6.00pm

Over the Hill - Saw your schedule for getting back from NY and am worried about you making an 8.50 lecture. It will feel like the middle of the night and am worried that you haven't factored in the classic time difference factor along the lines of Phileas Fogg in 'Around the World in almost 81 Days'. In the NotCat schedule I shall be allowing for generous time differences, the clocks going back at the autumnunal equinox, the curvature of the earth and the vagaries of magnetic north.

• I was considering flying back on the Sunday night (to save £) but thought I'd end up worrying all day about missing my flight.

I'm going to have to practice eating yucky gels. I can just about manage 2 during a race but never in training and I always puke them back up at the end. I really need some form of energy during the race as I can't stomach Gatorade.
  • I would like to join your happy band, I have been running for 6 Weeks and have not raced yet. This will be my first marathon and trip to the US, I hope to complete it in under 5hrs 30m, not very ambitious I know but I have suffered a little training setback with a broken hand.  Flying BA to Newark 29th returning 2nd.

I could update the list but I wouldnt want to upset the apple cart.    

• Welcome legs in pain! From nowt to marathon in a few months is pretty ambitious but I'm sure you'll manage it.
  • Hi NotCat

Thanks for the info on what you do with gels, interested to see that you have them so frequently.Did wonder whether I should try this on my LSRs to see whether i can tolerate them.

• Hi Legs in Pain

Welcome to the mad world of marathon running. Are you doing it for charity or have you got in through the ballot or with 2:09?

• Hi Tricia

I have joined three colleagues at work running for charity and was really enjoying the training till I tripped over my shoelaces imageimageimage. Hope to get a fibreglass cast and resume training next week, if the Dr says its ok, or yes I will start to get worried.

Thanks for all the good information everyone. 

•  Welcome Legs in Pain. Good luck with the healing and training.

On gels: Despite not minding the taste of the SIS ones, I find gels make no difference to me whatsoever if I can get hold of bananas. Does anyone know what drink (gatorade?) they are likely to use in NY and if they will also provide fruit (like Berlin but not Boston did)?

On diet: More or less like Trin said. I basically eat all the carbs I can manage (a lot, believe me) from the Thursday, including (sorry Trin) a large meal late afternoon/early evening Saturday. I then usually have at least two bagels and two bananas on race day morning. At NY, it is possible I will eat even more than this on race day! (My body is very used to processing food and I don't suffer from stomach cramps.)

On the wall: In addition to diet, rest, etc., I think there is a strong effect of past running. Training for a second marathon builds on a base already established and the wall is further away. The more marathons you've done, the less one worries about the wall (assuming consistent training throughout). And, like NotCat, I think getting in as many long (18 mile-plus) runs you can, the less you will need to fear the wall (although I usually don't exceed about 50ish miles a week).

On travel: My NY running friend is giving very similar advice to Tortie. I am definitely leaning towards NJ-near-a-PATH station. Tortie, assuming we don't hate each other if we met up before the race, might us travelling to the start together be a possibility?

On coffee: I need one. Laters.

Goal

Champagne          3:30 Chowster                4.00.01 Djwolf                      3:29 Gary Jones             2:44 Hudds Dave           3:50 Kiwidave                 3:29 L’ardvark                 3:05 Legs in Pain           5.30 NotCat                     3.10 Over the Hill            3.45 Steven S                 3:30 Tiptree                     3:45 Tony Hodge 6        3:30 Tortie T                    3:35 Tricia Hurst             3:59 Dave101                  3:50
  • Definitely L’ardvark, that’d be nice. I don’t hate many people so we should be alright!

Back in the day (’07) there were bagels available at the start in the waiting area along with tea/coffee and Gatorade. The Gatorade on course is orange (I think). In addition to the official drink stations there were several generous souls who’d set up their own aid station outside their houses. All along the course there were kids handing out sweets and you get gels at approx mile 18 from official gel type people.   At about mile 19 (whilst slightly hallucinating) I thought I saw a kid offering sponges so veered over to get one to cool down and was gutted to realise it was actually half a banana (which I hate). There were also several people handing out platters of sliced orange but again, these were unofficial refreshments so eat at your own risk.
  • Steven SSteven S ✭✭✭

Hi there legs in pain, I hope you get back running soon.  

I must admit not a big gel fan, tried a few types and use lucozade. Find all gels hard to take down and wash it down with drink.  I only used two in Dublin and took three with me in London(took 2). Tend to have one at half way and about 20. I take with me mini mars bars as well always worked for me.

I think I remember a friend at running club said it was gatorade at New York, I think it comes in paper cups?. Makes a pain to drink from if it is.

• It does come in cups (as does the water) but if you squeeze the top you can stop it spilling everywhere and it makes a nice funnel for aiming it at your mouth.
  • Should have mentioned in my earlier post but I booked the Novotel on Broadway (6 blocks off Times Sq) which is also one of the 2:09 Events base hotels! Just wondering was anyone else planning on staying there this time or have done in previous years? Been in NYC before but as it is my first time running I decided to stay somewhere central and within walking distance of pick-up points & the finish line!
  • Tortie T -had to laugh when you said you were hallucinating , an article in this months R W mentioned someone who was hallucinating during a marathon and tried to ride on 2 men who were wearing a horse costume because he thought it was a real horse.

it must have been hilarious watching them try to throw him off.image

Goal

Champagne          3:30 Chowster                3.59.59 Djwolf                      3:29 Gary Jones             2:44 Hudds Dave           3:50 Kiwidave                 3:29 L’ardvark                 3:05 Legs in Pain           5.30 NotCat                     3.10 Over the Hill            3.45 Steven S                 3:30 Tiptree                     3:45 Tony Hodge 6        3:30 Tortie T                    3:35 Tricia Hurst             3:59 Dave101                  3:50Hand in pain            5.30
  • chowster wrote (see)

Tortie T -had to laugh when you said you were hallucinating , an article in this months R W mentioned someone who was hallucinating during a marathon and tried to ride on 2 men who were wearing a horse costume because he thought it was a real horse.

it must have been hilarious watching them try to throw him off.image

Goal

Champagne          3:30 Chowster                3.59.59 Djwolf                      3:29 Gary Jones             2:44 Hudds Dave           3:50 Kiwidave                 3:29 L’ardvark                 3:05 Legs in Pain           5.30 NotCat                     3.10 Over the Hill            3.45 Steven S                 3:30 Tiptree                     3:45 Tony Hodge 6        3:30 Tortie T                    3:35 Tricia Hurst             3:59 Dave101                  3:50Hand in pain            5.30

Chowster,

Had to laugh - poor Legs in Pain she has had her name changed to Hands in Pain, sorry LiP - hope it doesn't still hurt too much. Think you are going to have to change your name image

• imageimage'She' imageimage

Doesn't hurt at all thats whats driving me nuts

• Legs in pain wrote (see)

imageimage'She' imageimage

Doesn't hurt at all thats whats driving me nuts

Sorry for the presumption imageimage
  • Hooray! I got a place in the NY Marathon.

Sounds like it can be a bit of a stress getting to the start on the day. Is it not possible to stay pretty close and just walk to the start?

• Iain - there are probably hotels close by in Staten Island but it'd mean a pretty long slog to get back there after the race as it finishes in Manhattan.
  • Why does this site keep refusing to post (or save) my messages????!!!!image
  • Should we add a 'hotel' (and maybe gender?!) column to the table below? Thoughts please.                                       Goal
    • Champagne          3:30
    • Chowster                3.59.59
    • Dave101                 3:50
    • Djwolf                      3:29
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Hudds Dave           3:50
    • Kiwidave                 3:29
    • Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05
    • Legs in Pain           5.30
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Tiptree                     3:45
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:35
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59

• Iain. Welcome. If you feel like it, it would be nice to hear a little about yourself. And if you would like to have a goal time included in the list below… The only way to be able to walk would be to stay on Staten Island near the start. Okay for that, but rubbish for all other traveling and for general quality of life during your stay. You could stay near the Ferry in Lower Manhattan. This would allow a walk to the ferry and use of the free bus to the start on the other side. It would also allow reasonable travel back after the race if you chose somewhere on an appropriate train line. The US RW NY thread speaks approvingly of someone staying in the Lower East Side. For more on hotels, see both that site and further back on this thread. And indeed my note to Tortie below.

• Chowster. I can see we're going to have to keep a close eye on you. The horse story made me laugh, though. Thanks for that.
  • Tortie. My NY friend said Frank Sinatra is from NJ and Billy Joel represents NY. Contest? I think not. I am definitely veering left. I have forwarded a proposed itinerary to Ms. L'ardvark for checking and hopefully approval. Watch this space.
  • All. Sorry about the mess above. I was getting so frustrated I did a pretty messy job cutting my message up and changing formating to try and get the site to like me. The end result wasn't as pretty as I would have liked. I have had a bad internet day, I can tell you.