New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• What mess L'a? Everything looks tidy to me image

• Hi Everyone.

I've been lucky to get a ballot place for the NYM 2009 on my second attemp. I've been running for a couple of years now. I'm gradually getting faster but still enjoying it which is perhaps more important. I've just "done" London and found it tougher than I thought i would in 3:24. I've also ran the Berlin marathon in 2008 in 3:16.... so my target for NY - whether realistic or not - is 2:59:59.

I've been looking through the forum which has given me a bit of insight in to what i have to expect at the NYM. I'm looking around for budget (but hopefully not low quality) hotels. The issue of transport and the time we set off for the start is something that comes up quite a bit....I'm definetly staying in Manhattan so there's no getting around it. What do you do with yourself if you're at the start area by 7am with over two hours to kill??

• Welcome! You are super fast. 7am? You should be so lucky. Try nearer to 5 am with 5 hours to kill. Seriously though, you just find a spot, sit down and wait it out. I took a few magazines and got chatting to some American runners so the time went quite quickly. There were plenty of people with sleeping bags which is a good idea as it was mighty cold until the sun came up. There are tents but as someone already mentioned, they have no sides and if it rains then there’s no way everyone would fit in them. I ‘borrowed’ a blanket from BA but at one point I had my spare trousers wrapped around my head and neck to keep warm. Take some old clothes that you don’t mind throwing away as based on my experience of the baggage drop off (it was a disaster in 2007) you should allow plenty of time between dropping off your bag and starting the race.
  • Thanks TortieT. 5am!!! Blimey, it hardly worth going to bed. MMmmm, I'm thinking I'll have to sort out some warm clothes and depending on the weather forecast maybe some waterproofs. At least, with so much time to kill i'll feel more inclined to have a good chin-wag with fellow runners. I found everything at the FLM on the day to be like clockwork, baggage, starting pens etc - should I expect NY to be less organised generally - which is something I can relax about if I expect it in advance? (I'm sure I'll still be excited and nervous anyway)

• Paul. Welcome. Nearer the time, if we are all (or if any of us are) still 'talking' to each other, 'someone' will, I am sure, suggest that those who want to meet up to help pass the time away, either on the Island before the race, on (or "en" if you're posh) route to the Island, or even a couple of days before for drinks, etc. I believe it's called an FE around these parts, for, I think, "Forumite Exchange". Until then, best of luck with your sub-3. Oh, word on the US threads is that organisation at NY is definitely NOT as clockwork as London. So now you can relax.image Oh, P.S. Do have a look at the "Greg's" link shown on the very first post of this discussion. It has as much info as you can get about the NY marathon in one place (if you use the tabs).

Goal

• Champagne          3:30
    • Chowster                3.59.59
    • Dave101                 3:50
    • Djwolf                      3:29
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Hudds Dave           3:50
    • Kiwidave                 3:29
    • Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05
    • Legs in Pain           5.30
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45
    • Paul Ward              2:59:59
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Tiptree                     3:45
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:35
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59
  • Good NY Times article about how useless most 'scientific' running advice is, posted by "Footloose" in the US Boston Martathon RW Forum:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/28/health/nutrition/28best.html?_r=1&ref=health
  • Hi L'ardvark. I'm now looking forward to meeting up with a few of you guys enroute to Staten Island. Thanks for the info regarding Greg's helpful links...

I've done 4 marathons so far in my running "career" but i think i suffered a little fatigue prior to the FLM after over 4 months training. How much training will you guys put in for NY and does training through the summer months make any difference??

The NYtimes article just confirms what i've been reading more and more about - runner's folklore being mistaken for gospel. All runners - including myself - have their own ideas as to what helps or prevents injuries. But that's all they are until proven - just ideas. I've realised i'll just have to listen to my own body as much as possible which normally "tells" me when I need to protect against more knee pain, calf strains, general fatigue etc......

Running is simple isn't it!    image

• Hi Paul. If I were a mature grown-up, I would dearly love to drop my mileage and improve my speed at shorter distances prior to starting another marathon schedule 'from scratch' 18 weeks out from NY. However, reasonably high mileage training through the summer months is, for me, essential to stop me from eating and drinking even more than I will anyway and sleeping even less, i.e. going completely to seed. Thus, I will be depriving my body of a rest I think it would possibly greatly benefit from. Fatigue is definitely a danger - but if you are still gunning for sub-3 in NY I would say your motivation is still pretty fired up and therefore you can't be too fatigued just yet. Me, I did Berlin 2008 in 3:11 (and Boston [downhill] this year in 3:09) but am saving my realistic sub-3 attempt for London and/or Chicago next year. I think the crowds and challenges of late uphills in NY make even my goal 3:05 quite ambitious. So, like I said, it doesn't sound like you are as jaded as I am yet!

• I wouldn't rule out a fast time in NY as the crowds are less of a problem than in London due to the roads being much wider. The only time I felt held up was when trying to pass a pace group in the early stages which had a massive following.
  • That's good to hear TortieT. I started the FLM in pen 2 but still found I was being held up for about 6 miles - by then I was way down on my target so it sort of went down hill from there. Hopefully I can start with a sub 3 hour pace group in NY. Are they easy to spot?

• I didn't see any at the start but I missed the call for my pen due to the baggage cock up. I think you're supposed to sign up for them at the expo and the ones I saw out on the course had a stick with balloons on it and a sign to say what time they were aiming for.

They operate a wave start now but if you've put a fast time on your application then you should set off in wave 1.

• The best thing about the start is that loooooooooooooooooooooooong urinal.
  • ........but do they have she-pees like at the FLM?  image

• Steven SSteven S ✭✭✭

Hi there, hope everyone is having a good day. I saw the she-pees at London this year.

I have a question, one of my friends who did not get a place. He needs to get a place, here works over in New York a bit of the time. He has a place to stay and is over there so does not need a flight. He was looking in getting a place though a travel company, and sell me the hotel and keep the entry(lifes not simple). I was shocked how much the hotel was, even with my brother coming over its expensive. If you booked one without the company its alot cheaper, want my mate to get a place but prefer to spend my money else where.

Can you get a place though a charity?, like you do in London. Which ones?, is it easy. I guess you have to raise a certain amount.

Sorry for the questions, hope you can help lifes never easy.

• hi steven

my friend and i are running for the CYSTIC FYBROSIS TRUST  who ask a minimum donation of £1200

there are a few others like BEATING BOWEL CANCER and the  INSTITUTE OF CANCER RESEARCH who have or had places.

the other charities mostly want you to sign up through a sports tour company .

•  Tortie. I'm persuaded. Thanks for your help.

All. It can be nice to know where people are staying and when, e.g., to arrange/share travel, meeting up, etc. If you are happy to let the world know, please either remind me or enter your details after cutting and pasting the table below.

Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                           Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Tortie T                    3:35
  •  Just don't blame me if it's a sh*thole! Anyone else finding it far too hot to run today? I was planning to do my long run this morning but have put it off until tomorrow just in case it's cooler. I also bought some bottles of gatorade yesterday so will be trying them out. Last time it wasn't a common brand over here so I had to buy a tub of powder on ebay and it did dreadful things to me when running. Hopefully the bottled stuff will be a bit kinder. 

I've changed my goal time back to 3.30 'cause that's what I'm truthfully aiming for.

Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Iain Harrison           
    • Tortie T                    3:30                       Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
  • Tortie. I would never blame you. I thank you for your advice but take full responsibility for the decision taken. (That said, not a good start that they said they would send me an email confirmation and didn't, and then when I tried to send the page to myself it failed, and when I tried to save the page it saved another one - but, hey!) We can search out a stable together if we need to.

My NY buddy says if you can't get to the Expo on the Friday (which you presumably can't), go FIRST THING Saturday if you want to avoid long lines/queues.

I have also shelved the long run till tomorrow, but mainly because I slightly hurt my foot training for the South Downs Way Relay (sorry Trin) - which the team has since pulled out of! Nothing but road running and gentle off-road for me for a while.

• Well, I booked a pre pay room that has no refund if you cancel but they've yet to take the money off my card. I have the e-mail confirmation and if, god forbid, there is a cock up and they don't have room at the inn then I shall be taking my credit card and am impulsive enough to flash it about for 3 nights at a mega swish hotel. image

I'm still paying off my trip to run it in 2007 (at a rate of £50 a month into the joint account (which I pillaged to pay off my credit card at the time)).

•                                               Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • Champagne          3:30                           rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Iain Harrison           
    • Tortie T                    3:30                       Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
  • I've got a 12-mile (3300 ft ascent) trail race tomorrow, so here's hoping it will go OK. A top-third finish would do me, but it's been elusive for a while now. image
  • Good Luck Champange that sounds a tough run and the weather is going to be HOT!

I have a 10k at Wallingford. I plan to just take it easy as it's not a PB course and is supposed to be nice for the run by the river. There is even a stile on the course that you have to queue to get over. Lots of factor 12 slapped on my baldy head before I start.

I have not booked flights or hotel yet. Must get onto it this week.

• Dave - the main lottery results are issued very soon after which you'll have all the American residents booking up hotels.
  • Good luck in your races tomorrow, Champagne and Hudds. I look forward to hearing your (hopefully glorious) race reports.
  • Steven SSteven S ✭✭✭

Thanks chowster for the information will pass it on to my mate.

Its a hot morning, just been out for a 10+ mile run. It was starting to get warm at 9:30, had planned to get out earlier. Looking forward training in the summer heat, wonder how hot its up in Edinburgh this weekend.

Hudds are you runnnig in the Wargrave 10K, hope your race has gone well today. Champagne sounds like a interesting race 3300ft descent.

I have to book hotel and flight, just thinking best place to stay. Near finish or somewhere else, just figuring how to get to start on race morning 

Probably a really stupid question, where do the buses go from. I imagine from various locations, I heard some buses go from Library.

• Steven. Rather than try and summarise all the pros and cons of staying here, there, and where else, I think the most helpful thing I can do is suggest that you read back through the last few pages of this discussion. You will see that I have asked most possible questions and others have answered them. Beyond that, I can say that a combination of Tortie T, her NY friend, and my NY friend persuaded me that a hotel in Jersey City near a PATH train station was best 'overall' if you fly to Newark, and you aren't fussed (or prefer) not to be in the centre of town. Tortie and I have each booked places at the Ramada. If you want to be in the thick of it and spend more money, Midtown Manhattan is where you want to be. A couple of people on this thread have booked places there. Flying to JFK and saving money probably means Queens. Tortie T makes one recommendation for a hotel there. These are the three most 'obvious' choices, it seems, to optimise access to start, finish, Expo, and things generally. If you have more sepcific questions, please do ask. Dragon boat racing, huh? Interesting.
  • I've been holding off booking a hotel until a few members of my family decided if they could get out there as well, but reading TortieT's post regarding the American residents lottery results and the sudden booking frenzy - I might just have to go for it now. Did anyone run today? I ran with some of my club runners out in Hainault Country Park - A beautiful haven in the hustle and bustle of London/Essex. Cool breeze through the trees and hot out in the open... but what running was made for. I'm planning to start concentrating on 1k reps at 6 min miling pace before upping my mileage in August. It's also 5k season at the moment - I'm not used to this fast stuff!

• Hi Paul. That sounds like a lovely place to run. Thanks for telling us what running you are concentrating on at present, as it helped focus me on what I want to do. My running since Boston has been very erratic and non-focused. I had a nice run today, though: 19, with most along Brighton seafront (not all of it dodging tourists) and about 5 along the cliff-tops, which is always nice. However, that brings this week's mileage to 41 off 3 runs! Not at all what I want to be doing. So, from now, I shall be having 'base' weeks as follows (using Pfitz's terminology):

Mo: 8+ speed (Lactate threshold or VO2Max)

Tu: 5+ recovery

We: 10+ General aerobic

Th: Rest/XT

Fr: 5+ recovery

Sa: 15+ long (sometimes including some Marathon Pace miles)

Su: Rest/XT

This will give me 43+ per week, which I shall maintain (although adding a bit on minimum mileage as I go on) until I start preparing specifically for NY, probably about 12 weeks out. (merging into the 18/55 plan, but probably making it more like 18/61). I shall shift the runs above about on weeks I am doing or have done a 10k/13.1 race on the Sunday (or, like this week, I have delayed my long run to the Sunday).

Hey, look at me. I've got focus! 5k's though, Paul??? Too fast for the likes of me, I fear. I hope everyone else's running is going cool and dandy.

• Has anyone any experience of the "First" training scheme (details here)? I'm thinking of giving it a 16-week whirl for NY.

Nearly everyone here in Sweden uses a training programme set up by one of our gurus (Szalkai, it's all published here, for those of you who can read Swedish), but I find his weekly totals too high for me: I find it very easy to become overtrained or experience other problems.

"First" is based on lower weekly totals, with higher proportion of quality running and less long, steady distance. Three runs a week, with two alternative sessions (swimming/cycling, etc.).

L'ardvark: your basic week resembles the structure of the First scheme, but instead of your 5+ recoveries they would have alternative training.

What are "18/55" and "18/61"?

• 10.5 mile, 2200 ft ascent race yesterday. It was advertised as being longer and steeper, but hey, never mind!
    Most of it was on forest paths, and there were quite a few potentially ankle-breaking descents, but I managed to get round in one piece and finished 14th! My highest finish ever in any race. I've finally realised that to get a high placing, all you have to do is choose a really low-key race.......there were only 38 of us!

Tiptree - 18/55 will be an 18-week schedule peaking at 55 miles per week.