running is bollox

I am torn between two evils.Do I diet lose weight and look like a stick.Or simply go to the gym 4 times a week,eat like mad (which i enjoy doing) and bulk up like a proper bodybuilder.Lets face it no competetive runners have bodys to die for do they? I am a member of a club and do ok with my times, I usualy manage a 10k in about 44-46 minutes, however there is this obsession with every runner to go quicker why???

Comments

• If you want to look good then you can do better than being a runner. I run because I enjoy it. If you prefer gym then you can gym it and run as an extra.

I don't think everyone who's a runner is obsessed with times, but if it's your main hobby, there's nothing like improving..

• Loads of runners have great physiques., or at least I think so.

However, if your ideal bod is that of a body builder, go build that body.  Do it natrualy though othersie us runners will out live you image

Good luck with whatever you chose.

• I think runners have fantastic bodies actually

I know which i prefer out of a runner and a body builder

Mmm

its why i like going to races

• PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    don't agree with the "all runners want to get faster thing"........  I've met many who are less worried about their speed, but want to go further.  Ultra runners have very good physiques presumably because they run in the fat burning zone all the time and therefore have a lower %age of body fat than many......
  • Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

"Or simply go to the gym 4 times a week,eat like mad (which i enjoy doing)"

Brilliant Stuff image
  • Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    Brad Robinson 2 wrote (see)
    I am torn between two evils.Do I diet lose weight and look like a stick.Or simply go to the gym 4 times a week,eat like mad (which i enjoy doing) and bulk up like a proper bodybuilder.Lets face it no competetive runners have bodys to die for do they? I am a member of a club and do ok with my times, I usualy manage a 10k in about 44-46 minutes, however thered is this obsession with every runner to go quicker why???

two things are very short sighted in what you say:

'look like a stick' - believe me Brad, I do NOT look like a stick. Im 6ft and weigh 75kg.

'obsession to go quicker' - dur, its a measurement of progress isnt it! I imagine that the bodybuilding equivalent however is bulking up and getting bigger, which in itself is a measurement of progress.

The last point I am reluctant to comment on, but fuck it I will (mainly because I think that your inital post is on the whole rather narrow-minded). I have had quite a few very positive comments from people on here about my body. Now I run because I ENJOY it. I also cycle and do gym stuff (high rep low weight), so as an added bonus my body has become quite 'good' not through purely vanity reasons which sounds like your motivation.

9 out of 10 blokes down the gym grunting away in the heavy weights section of my gym are all tubby big blokes with no definition quaffing protein powder rubbish and all that shit, and I imagine (looking at your picture) you would probably fit into that category too if you were to go down that route. Running can fit in with weights, and would be a HEALTHIER option....get outside, the weather is lovely at the moment, fresh air, sun, etc etc - why be cooped up in a gym in the name of vanity?

• I was in the pub the other week with a bunch of running mates - all of us in our 40s and all of us looking pretty good for our age, no doubt about it.

my son plays rugby and when I'm with the other rugby dads I look about 10 years younger than any of them even though we're all about the same age!

Long term, running will keep you in better shape - and better looking - than bodybuilding. imho, of course.

It comes down to 'why are you running?'. If you are considering chucking it in then it seems to me you don't really have a love for it. If you want to just go to the gym four times a week that's absolutely fine - you don't need to apologise for it. Perhaps you just need to get the balance right?

btw - I used to run seven days a week and eat like mad and it seemed to work fine for me.

and one last thing - all women who run are beautiful.

Cheers

• Zanzinger wrote (see)

Most bodybuilders are unhealthy, have small weak hearts, and a even smaller brain.

and an even smaller shnizzle...
  • Having said that though I do agree that many runners, both male and female, look emaciated to a point where it's no longer deemed attractive to the majority (although it is in the eye of the beholder and I'm sure some do find it attractive).

I think folk who look different often do things on top of running that gives them that shape, like Alex throws in a few tris or Nick L you do some rock climbing etc don't you(?) to give you that upper body definition.  image

• Do Triathlon Brad, if your looking for a fit bod and it's great fun!  
  • You're right Double 0... my mate is an RAF triathlete and he just uploaded some pics from a recent duathlon...  hellloooo boys!!!  image

>drools<

>wipes drool<

• Thanks for all your replies and constructive comments.I think that I am being misguided by the running club,and the big bodybuilders at the gym.The runners at the club are all obssessed by going faster and losing weight to go faster.The guys at the gym are all obssesed to the point were they want to lift more and eat as many calories a day as possible.Like most of you guys have said why don`t i just do both disciplines ie running and the gym, which is what i am allready doing and enjoying.I allways set out to keep fit and control my weight which is what i am doing.What I do lack is focus though, i think i need a new challenge to work towards.Double 0 I have thought about triathlon until i saw the price of the bikes!!!!

p.s. Nick L I am deffinately not a  "tubby big bloke with no definition quaffing protein powder rubbish"

• Brad - if you're looking at tri-specific bikes then yes, they're very expensive. But you don't need one. Any half-decent road bike will more than suffice, and you can try out a few sprint events on a mountain bike without looking out of place.

Tri is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.

• limperlimper ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know which pub Bazza and his mates will be in this weekend please image
  • bazza wrote (see)
    and one last thing - all women who run are beautiful.

What a lovely thing to say!

Nam wrote (see)
    Zanzinger wrote (see)

Most bodybuilders are unhealthy, have small weak hearts, and a even smaller brain.

and an even smaller shnizzle...

And this is just what I was thinking image

And I wanna see these pic's of Nam's mate image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Wot Schmunkee said .... word for word, took the thoughts right out of my feverish mind image
  • Do what you want to do. If pumping iron in a sweaty gym and seeing your mates oiled up in trunks does it for you - then go ahead ! image

I shall stick to running outside in the sun and seeing nature.
    And girls in lycra.
  • Well said cougie! Personally, compared to being out in the great outdoors working up a sweat, I find the gym quite boring. However, I do enjoy doing circuit class every now and then! it's whatever works for you Brad.
    And thanks for the lovely comments Bazza!
  • Cheers Nam!  Defo some letching fodder there!!
  • hmm, I've done bodybuilding, got nice and ripped etc but was functionally as strong as a kitten. And any excuse to wear a crop top! image

Was a scary world of protein powder, 'supplements', weird dieting and working in an environment with guys who were very dull, tangoed, carpet-carriers image 'roided up on god knows what.

So went over to the dark side. Weight lifting - nothing aesthetic there and loved it, my small frame limited what I could lift / push / press but learnt all the olympic lifts.

Anyhoo now I've found a happy medium - running (cardio! an alien concept to some BBers), functional weight training and climbing.

As for the best bodies... serious long distance runners have pathetic upper bodies and strong legs (like T-rex), tri-ponces are slightly better but for me without question it has to be gymnasts and climbers - insanely strong!

•  im training for the fire service in spain and the requirements for entry are leading me to have a incredible `physique, they include pull ups rope climbing swimming and a few running tests and an all round excellent figure is possible with the right mix of strength (not specific muscle workouts) like press ups and pull ups and running short to medium distances.

BUt this is difficult as it requires a lot of time which is not easy for anyone working. but i must admit i  dont get the high from the gym that i get from running up massive hills anyway im new to the forum and thats my opinion on that so feel free to tell me to shut it and listen to the pros.

• Nigel, as a new poster on the forum I should make you aware that posts referring to 'incredible physiques' are useless without pictures.

oh, welcome to the forum! image

• Running is bollox
    Body-building is no bollox, especially after a few doses of steroids image
  • MadameOMadameO ✭✭✭

Brad, as others have pointed out muscley isn't necessarily sexy and vice versa. One man's stick is another's sexpot.

Just don't read that out loud.

• i have done the body building crap.boring ! boring! boring! unhealthy crap .ugly bloated men in a gym.with an excuse so you can eat more.hello wake up! get out side in the fresh air i started running about 2 years ago .lost a load of weight. feel fantastic look fit and healthy.great comments from people .i haven't felt so fit in my life. and I'm 37.p.s  . women runners are well fit .i wont be stopping running ever .changed my life.cardio is the way to a better life.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

what an unexpected outcome...99% of responses pro running over muscle goonery, that is surprising on a runners website!!

Obviously I'm the same, being a 50mile a week man. That sure trims any kind of muscle away, especially when not starting with much in the first place!

• Strange two sports to put against each other.. practically different ends of the spectrum although I try to do some free weights once a week or fortnight with a lot of abdominal exercises.

I agree with Steve G this is a pro running site so bodybuilding will defo come in second

why dont we compare say golf or fishing?