New York Marathon 2009

Comments

• Tiptree. There has been recent discussion on the US forum where I hang out about the FIRST regime. The general sense I get is that it is good but requires a very high level of initial fitness without which injuries are common. Those who feel vulnerable to injuries but who want increased quality/demands without either too much mileage or high injury potential tend to go for the "Daniels" programme.  I would say the majority go with Pfitzinger & Douglas. Good luck with your training, however it ends up looking.

Champagne. Many congratulations on your race. It sounds terrifying! Good luck finding a race with a maximum of 3 people in your class.

• Tortie T - Thanks for the advice, I am going to look at hotels today. I have agreed with the other half that we will stay down town as she needs to be by the shops at all times! The good news is she is going to pay for the hotel.

Champange - Well done on the race, it must have been tough as it was warm all over the UK yesterday. I would be happy to finish 14th with 15 runners.

Steven- yes I am doing Wargrave, I do it most years, are you running it?

I ran at Wallingford and I must recommend it to anybody else for next year, I knew it was not a PB course because of the stile (3 mins queue to get over) and 4 kissing gates, and so I just ran it for fun and get a top up on the sun tan. Lovely course by the river and across open fields and a very well organised start/ finish with losts to do the families.

• Well I  will be having a week off running. Off to South Africa  tomorrow to compete for GB in a Nations Cup Endurance Horse race over 75 miles through a game reserve - have to make sure I don't fall off as there are plenty of black rhinos in the area!!  

Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Champagne          3:30                           rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Chowster                3.59.59
    • Dave101                 3:50
    • Djwolf                      3:29
    • Gary Jones             2:44
    • Hudds Dave           3:50
    • Kiwidave                 3:29
    • Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                           Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Legs in Pain           5.30
    • NotCat                     3.10
    • Over the Hill            3.45
    • Paul Ward              2:59:59
    • Steven S                 3:30
    • Tiptree                     3:45
    • Tony Hodge 6        3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:30                       Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tricia Hirst             3:59                       Crowne Plaza (28-3)
  • Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • Champagne          3:30                           rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                           Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Tortie T                    3:30                       Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59                      Crowne Plaza (28-3)
  • Hudds Dave - I live in France, but it was warm here too!

Tricia - Wow! Enjoy it! If you do fall off, you could end up running and it being an excellent speed session!

• Hi Champagne,

Thats a good idea - but does anyone know how fast rhinos can run?? Don't know that I am that fast!!! But adrenaline might help!

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Morning all, morning L'ardvark

I,ve not been ignoring you, have just got back from Edindurgh (a very hot 3:30).

For honeymoon we flew to Buffalo then onto Niagra Falls, also spent time in Boston and Washington DC.image

• Hudds Dave. That sounds like a good deal to me.

Tricia. IMPRESSIVE! Have a wonderful time and here's wishing you the best of luck. My understanding is that rhinos are VERY fast, so best to stay in the saddle if you can.

Champagne. Gosh, what with Tiptree in Sweden and you in France, this is turning into quite the cosmopolitan forum (and that's without mentioning trips to S. Africa, honeymoon's, etc.). Speaking of which...

Many CONGRATULATIONS djwolf. I hope the big day was all you hoped for it and that you had a fabulous honeymoon. Here's wishing you all the best in your married life. Congrats also on Edinburgh time, although I am not quite clear how that fit into the wedding and honeymoon timetable???

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭

Hi L'ardvark,

I think we are are a little muddled here ( maybe Ihave not been clear enough in previous message, I married 5 years ago in NYC!)

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    Hi guys....ref hotels, most of Manhattan and surrounding areas have been heavily booked in anticipation of entry I think. Talking to some peeps it seems that there will be cancellations by the many US balloteers who didn't get in. I have some loyalty points ofr Marriott which can be used in several chains and all were booked out but their clerks told me to expect a rash of cancellations in June. We've provisionally booked near the Brooklyn Bridge but hope to transfer into Manhattan if vacancies occur, otherwise we'll stay there because of good PATH and other route access. Aiming sub 3.30 Fling into Newark
  • L'ardvark: great, thanks.

WIll definitely look at the two you mention. I sincerely want to get away from the Szalkai programme that "everyone" uses in Sweden.

•                                               Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Dave101                 3:50                          Novotel Times Square, Midtown (29-4)
    • Iain Harrison           
    • L’ardvark                 3:05                          Ramada, NJ (29 - 2)
    • Stray Celt                3:30
    • Tortie T                    3:30                          Ramada, NJ (30 - 2)
    • Tricia Hurst             3:59                         Crowne Plaza (28-3)
  • djwolf. My bad. You were perfectly clear. I just have the memory of a goldfish.

Stray Celt. WELCOME. You are correct that there will be a lot of hotel booking cancellations. Most hotels have no cancellation fee (until 24 hours before the booking) and so many, many Americans will have booked hotel rooms who will not get lottery places. 

Tiptree. Thank you for the link to the FIRST page, which I shall examine 'sometime soon'...  

• djwolfdjwolf ✭✭✭
    L'ardvark wrote (see)

• Champagne          3:30                          Rented accommodation Brooklyn (25-1)
    • Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Iain Harrison           
  • Steven SSteven S ✭✭✭

L'ardvark. Thanks for the advice on hotels, whereever you stay has it pros and cons. I need to sort it out soon, never been to NY before. It would be nice to be able to get in the city with ease, not really bothered if I am far out.  I have been dragon boating for a number years there is a national league with races all over the country. Marathon training  took over a bit last year focused on one sport as it was my first marathon.  I use it for XT now, I am member of Henley dragon boat club. I have been lucky to travel alot with it. I been to China(beat them at the own sport winning medals), Venice, Rome. Sounds like I missed a good race in Bristol on sunday, might do a few races.

Hudds Dave- Wargrave is always a good race, great race and friendly village atmosphere.They have great cakes as well. Its on my door step so probably will enter, its a favourite of mine always seems to be hot every time I have race it.  I might enter either  Wycombe or Burnham halfs, Wycombe worth entering just for the goody bag.

• Seriously thinking about doing NY.

I've run it twice, the last time in 2007.

Not in great shape at the moment, and I need something in the autumn to get me motivated!

Spoke to Sports Tours today, and they have places left.
  • Martin. Thanks for visiting. Please let us know when you sign up for NY. You will be most welcome to 'permanently' join our merry band (especially so we can pick your experienced brains). image
  • I think I'm pretty certain to sign up tomorrow.

I went to watch a friend do Edinburgh yesterday, and figured it's time I got back in shape.

NY is an amazing event. London was great when I did it last year, but despite the tough course in NY, I would run it every year if I could!

It's just the atmosphere, and the sheer spectacle.
  • For those staying in Jersey City there's a grest shopping mall at the Newport Centre which is 10 mins walk from  the Ramada hotel in NJ - with all the main stores being there there's no need to burn energy getting through the tourists in Manhattan

• Djwolf                      3:29                          Crowne Plaza (with Mrs Wolf)
    • Iain Harrison           
    • Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's (if she's still not smoking)
  • Hi everyone, thought i'd join the ranks of the  NYM forum.

I got a lottery place on first attempt so was well pleased, ran my first marathon in April at Bungay Suffolk  (not as exciting as some of yours!) in 3hrs 59min and am aiming for 3hr 50min.

I have booked flights and hotel today - how expensive! Dont think i can eat for the next 3 months!

Staying at The New Yorker for 8 nights and can't wait.

Thanks for all the information you guys keep giving - i can't get enough. 

• Goal                          Hotel (Dates)
    • Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison           
    • Over the Hill            3.45                          Jersey City (29 - 1) at a friend's (if she's still not smoking)
  •                                                Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Kiwidave                 3:29                          The Marcel at Gramercy (30 - 2)
    • Iain Harrison           
  •                                                 Goal                          Hotel (Dates)

• Sue Osborne         3: 50                          The New Yorker
  • Sue. Welcome! You are the person who has forced us to go to two posts to get everyone in. The site decrees the whole table is too long to put in one post. Hurrah! Congrats on such a successful lottery. I like your part of the world. Was the Suffolk marathon a good one? I'm now off to Google your hotel and feel green with jealousy. Just imagine what not eating for 3 months will do to your marathon time! Sorry. This is a bit of a quickfire sentence post!

• Welcome to all the new folk. I was randomly googling yesterday to try and find out for sure what flavour Gatorade is supplied at the water stations (I didn’t find out) and I came across a site of NYC marathon reviews in which some brave soul recommended staying in a hotel on Staten Island. Makes my NJ hotel look tame.
  • Hi Tortie. Yes, I came across that particular recommendation a while back. My NY friend said avoid this at all costs! Had Ms. L'ard been coming with me, we were toying with staying there just the night before the race and her moving our stuff (back) to another hotel while the race was on. Hadn't ruled that out by the time we decided I should go it alone.
  • morning all.

off work this week, so off out for an 11 miler this morning then Me and the Mrs are heading down to Alton Towers for a couple of days to act like a couple of kids on all the coastersimage.

been too tired to train for the last couple of days as i did a Car Boot Sale on sunday for the charity we are running for  , and had to arrive there at 2.30am to make sure i got a pitch.

was a good fun but i've been left with car boot lag (close relation to jet lag)ever since.

come back up from Alton Towers on thursday to go to a concert in Edinburgh , so i think this will be the last run until the weekend, but i'll make up for it next weekimage (honestly).

when is eveyone planning to start their Marathon training plans?

i've read a few plans specifically for New York and they have recommended a bit more hill training than normal , is anyone planning this? , and when is the best time to do it? (start of 16-18 week programme or closer to the race?)

i'll think of more ways to pick your brains when i'm awayimage(i'm getting addicted to  these smiley characters image,cant seem to stopimage aaaarrrggghhhimage ,phewwwimage

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭
    This will be my third New York and my running buddy's first. We were in the pub just over 3 years ago and reckoned we should do the world's top ten marathons before the end of 2009 so we're almost at the end of the journey. After NY we're off out to Honolulu in December. That'll be run to tick the box as the 5.00a.m.start and high temperatures don't have a strong appeal. We did Rotterdam two years ago and it was halted due to the heat and the number of hospital casualties. Only 4,000 of us got to finish but it was very tough. NY can be either v.hot or v.cold. I've had warm days both times (not too warm tho!) and it is an incredible experience. Neither was a great time for me, way down on pb, but I would love to get back under 3.30 here and that's what I'll be training for.
  • NY is really truly not hilly. I promise you, even if you train on the flattest terrain possible I still defy you to proclaim NY a hilly course! Yes there are a few bridges and yes Central Park has some undulations but by no definition are they hills. Having said that, hill training is always of benefit so I try to do it every week (in reality I manage about once a month but the intention is there image). Hill training will increase leg strength and it’s supposed to improve running form too.

My 18 week plan starts 29th June. I’m sticking with a hybrid of P&D 55 mile and 70 mile plans, a lower and higher limit if you like. Really excited about it all now.