Anti-depressants & training

Comments

• depression can also be thought of as a chemical illness SO
    its not the whole picture, but---
  • may be I'm just mad as a frog! :-D

• Depression is a serious physical illness, Staggers. It's not just a bad dose of unhappiness. If you'd developed, say, multiple sclerosis, you wouldn't be looking in your life for what could have caused it, though you might look at your family history. It's the same with depression.

The opposite side of the coin is that I've had times when life has been pretty unpleasant and I haven't much cared whether or not I woke up in the morning, but haven't developed depression. That's not due to any personal talent for positive thinking, it's because I'm not genetically predisposed.

Don't let thinking "what have I got to be depressed about" undermine your self-esteem. That way of looking at it is miles wide of the mark unless you DO have a huge piece of unfinished business hanging over your head.

Best of luck XXX
  • Ok, maybe a pressed post when I was still thinking through the negatives and the history bits...

I've had serious depression before - alluded to earlier. When I was 21, suffered a major crisis of self confidence over..... women. Nuff said in the short term, sufficient to say I got very down plus there was pressure from home to succeed at poly. I was a senior student, i.e. I was a non-fresher in campus halls there to help the freshers., and also in a group of friends where I was the older person who everyone talked to for advice and support.

I got more and more feed-up and one evening sat in the union hall during a disco, just out of it. I went back to my room and sat there with a razor blade and... and nothing, some one had followed me and sat down, took it off me and gently told me to get some sleep.

I just got up one day and realised I couldn't cope any more- I was shaking so much I couldn't hold a cup of coffee! So some of my friends basically said go to the doctors or we'll take you. They diagnosed depression and put me on tablets (can't remember what) and sent me to see a psychiatrist. It took two years and withdrawing from my course just prior to finals and retaking the whole year to get through this.

On the strange things happen line, whilst I was just about two weeks into this depression I was in the union bar with the indoor cricket team I played for when we got talking to some people sat near some friends. One of this new group was an attractive girl who thought we were all nuts (probably true). The next Friday she was there again and we got talking and I bought her a drink. I'm still buy her drinks and remember to get flowers....

that ends a bit of old history. I need a break before I can manage to write more at the moment/
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o)

I just had a giggle at a little song I made up:

Ready?

# boom-boom boom-boom - SO's blue! #

Or do you have to be very old to appreciate it?
  • not sure about being old (that would be rude to insinuate a lady was old), just on the same wavelength.....
    ...and I'm not. You've lost me Jj.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    :o(

Oh.

It was the old Esso advert on telly.

#boom-boom boom-boom, Esso Blue#

feel silly now...
  • don't, cos I could think of the "I'm blue, dab a doo" song and that wasn't long ago. Remember Esso blue but not the adverts. That and a tiger in your tank.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    think of me as the li'l leopard in yours!

:o)
  • jokulating aside, I feel pretty sh!t today and its getting worse. I'm just sitting staring at the keyboaard, I can't focus on anything
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    SO, I've been watching this thread but not posting. Don't think I can say anything useful here in fact, perhaps just to note that I had that can't focus feeling when on prozac a few years back.

If you ever want to email me please feel free - I always answer.
  • lost the plot at the moment, I'm not adding anything to the sum total of usefulness today
  • GlennGlenn ✭✭✭
    SO: that's just life. As long as you're doing as little harm as possible you're doing better than most people.
  • Well said, Glenn.

Though my worst-scenario epitaph would be "she was harmless".
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Mine would be: 'who?'
  • at the moment I think "Why?"

bluh, wallowing a bit today. I'm going to go get some food and maybe look at the sun...
  • oh dear, mood chnage time. Feeling feed up and cynical now, not good as I'm supposed to be going to a meeting to provide a way forward to another project. Comments like "well you should have thought of that" will not help.
  • (((((((((Staggers))))))))))))))))))
  • Well yesterday went strange.
    Having been down and quiet all day, I suddenly switched on in the meeting. We are talking, alert, involved and completely with it plus I stayed that way pretty much for the hour (wandered off a couple of times). It didn't last long after the meeting, just managed to get my report written before it faded away.

But by the time I got home, I actually wanted to go out for a run/plod/whatever. Unfortunately, I had to wait about 20 mins and again the energy faded away, but I did go and the first bit hurt and ached and I could find reasons not to do it. Eventually I managed to get through that I had wanted to do this, felt I could make the effort and got myself going, so it was reasonably successful (33.5 mins for 5k).

Today, crimes, I was positively manic for about 10 minutes! Got up, wanted to go back to bed, forced self to get out of house. Nice blast in the car, not held up by too many morons travelling at the speed limit (ha ha ha) and bounced from the car to the train, very strange. Its sort of swung the other way now and I've quietened down. I did find myself singing quietly on the train, luckly no one noticed, cos I wasn't listening to music!
  • Hi Staggers. Just caught up with all this. Have a history myself (which I don't dwell on as my boss wouldn't like it!) and am now (among others things) a psychotherapist, so spend a lot of my time around depression. Sounds as though you're doing all the right things to help yourself. Big hugs, Sassie x
  • Hi Sassie, thanks.

I'm trying to do "the right things" and remembering all the sorts of stuff that have helped before. But, and it is a big but, I'm ignoring things rather than facing then (see I said I was with it) which might help me get some balance in the short term.
  • very, very strange.
    I'm now bouncing between manic and down like a bloody yo-yo. This isn't funny, one minute I'm having to stop myself from having a fit of the giggles, the next I want to cry! This is crazy!
  • !!!Serious post alert!!!

Sounds like you ought to log off and go and talk to someone, Staggers. We're not a bad bunch, but we're not THERE. Is there someone where you are who knows what's been happening with you and has a good set of ears?

Trust Auntie V-rap on this one. She's been around and seen a lot.
  • can you do any relaxation techniques - take yourself off to the loo and sit in a cubicle for 5 mins and just try to still your mind - orbetter still go outside somewhere green and calming - trees etc if you have them and just try and chill out without lots of info bombarding you from peeps, pcs phones etc - as sometimes this can help to clear out all the crap that just builds up and makes it difficult to concentrate
  • << manly hug to SO>>
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    [[[[[[[[big squishy womanly one]]]]]]]
  • <<<<< and from SP >>>>>>

V rap is right.... find someone to talk to if you can..... you're right feeling like you do at the mo' isn't funny and is very tiring...... and ultimately even more depressing.....
  • Hey Staggers,

Please go and talk to someone. The one thing I hate about depression in this country is that it seems taboo to talk about it. But it's not. You'll be surprised by just how many people suffer from it. I used to get it and am now a lot stronger for it. I used to hate myself for feeling the way I did, but now I regard myself as being lucky. I am so much stronger and have more understanding for others and what they go through with this illness. It is serious, please talk to someone. If they don't feel right to talk too, talk to someone else untill you find that right person. There are good people out there who can help. Things will get better please help yourself by contacting someone.